I Think My CPU Just Died

Go to solution Solved by nikolaizombie1,

Good luck to you. I hope the Intel RMA process is good to you.

I found the real issue, a bent motherboard pin, inside the cpu socket, my brother was plugging a usb thumb drive into the back and bent the pin

Befor you go RMA, I'd suggest one last thing, try shuffling the RAMs. See if any combination works (that includes RAM from your other system).

My brother's PC had the same problem long ago. Fortunately the RAM had lifetime warranty.

all the other parts i checked work in my amd system

My pc suddently froze and now it won't post nor display anything. Everything i try won't work, I've literally have tried everything, here are some examples:

Reseated my cpu

Reseated the gpu

Reseated the cpu cooler (hyper 212 evo)

cleared the c-mos

Tried to power the system with another psu

IDK what else to do, any ideas

Check the RAM?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

accept my condolences

If you have a different mobo you can try the cpu in, then do that, or a different cpu you can try in your mobo.

I'm guessing it probably died.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If you have a different mobo you can try the cpu in, then do that.

this is the only lga1150  mobo i have

I don't think a GPU would prevent startup, so if your mobo supports integrated graphics try that. If that doesn't work, either the board or CPU is dead.

But first, let's talk about parallel universes.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

Uncouple every other hardware like GPU, PCI cards, USB devices, front panel connectors, etc. If it still does it, I'm sorry man.

Maybe a BIOS reflash can help, depending if your MoBo supports something like Flashback or DUAL Bios.

I don't think a GPU would prevent startup, so if your mobo supports integrated graphics try that. If that doesn't work, either the board or CPU is dead.

tried that its not posting

If it doesn't boot at all, it's likely your board. Check and make sure all plugs to the case are installed properly. I'm pretty sure it would still try to boot without a CPU, as I don't think booting is related to the CPU, rather its a short in the pins. (every board, I mean.) ((The pins on the board to start I mean))

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

I don't use intel, but I suppose booting the same for all platforms.

Spoiler

Might be the PSU rather than the CPU. 

I'm pretty sure he already tried that. EDIT: Yeah, he did... I suppose you can't read, lol, since he said that in the original post.

Spoiler

Uncouple every other hardware like GPU, PCI cards, USB devices, front panel connectors, etc. If it still does it, I'm sorry man.

Maybe a BIOS reflash can help, depending if your MoBo supports something like Flashback or DUAL Bios.

my  mobo does not have that and tried what you said and nothing, the fans are working so its the cpu?

p.s its a msi z97 pc mate

Yes... it's the CPU... RMA it. If the board were dead no power would be going to anything. I guess you could also check how hot the CPU gets by leaving the heatsink off and I guess that could be the test to see if it's live or dead.

Spoiler

If it doesn't boot at all, it's likely your board. Check and make sure all plugs to the case are installed properly. I'm pretty sure it would still try to boot without a CPU, as I don't think booting is related to the CPU, rather its a short in the pins. (every board, I mean.) ((The pins on the board to start I mean))

what is the likelihood of my cpu dyeing instantly on normal use with a oc of 4.4ghz or the turbo speed?

Yes... it's the CPU... RMA it. If the board were dead no power would be going to anything. I guess you could also check how hot the CPU gets by leaving the heatsink off and I guess that could be the test to see if it's live or dead.

yes it does get hot

my  mobo does not have that and tried what you said and nothing, the fans are working so its the cpu?

p.s its a msi z97 pc mate

That defo sounds like a CPU problem

what is the likelihood of my cpu dyeing instantly on normal use with a oc of 4.4ghz or the turbo speed?

All silicon is different. The chances of getting a more overclockable CPU and a less overclockable one all depends on manufacturing. I don't overclock my CPU's, and this is exactly why you don't overclock your CPU's. They die faster.

Spoiler

All silicon is different. The chances of getting a more overclockable CPU and a less overclockable one all depends on manufacturing. I don't overclock my CPU's, and this is exactly why you don't overclock your CPU's. They die faster.

damm it ok i need to go with the rma process

Thanks for the help

damm it ok i need to go with the rma process

Thanks for the help

Spoiler

Befor you go RMA, I'd suggest one last thing, try shuffling the RAMs. See if any combination works (that includes RAM from your other system).

My brother's PC had the same problem long ago. Fortunately the RAM had lifetime warranty.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

I found the real issue, a bent motherboard pin, inside the cpu socket, my brother was plugging a usb thumb drive into the back and bent the pin

all the other parts i checked work in my amd system

I'm pretty sure he already tried that. EDIT: Yeah, he did... I suppose you can't read, lol, since he said that in the original post.

Wait? That wasn't there when I looked... He might have edited in afterwards or I simply did not see it.