860K vs G3258

because the intel setup is the same price as the AMD

and intel is better there is no two ways about it thats the bottom line the intel chipset offered more functionality more features less power consumption and better upgrade-ability 

the trade off is you have two less "cores" but intels cores are faster and use less power its a HTPC and you don't need a quad core for that anyway

i like intel but i can still see a fanboy when i see one

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

i like intel but i can still see a fanboy when i see one

facts are facts the intel platform is the way to go from every angle

every machine I have ever owned has been AMD until this one so you would be grossly incorrect, iv had everything from k6 to barton cores with "the pencil mod" to FX chips 

the machine prior to this was a FX 6300 and a 990 XA GD55

the one before that was a Phenom x3

and before that there was the 5200+ witch replaced a second hand AMD K8 2700+

I base my judgement on performance per dollar spent I could give two farts what vendor its from

every machine I have ever owned has been AMD until this one so you would be grossly incorrect, iv had everything from k6 to barton cores with the pencil mode to FX chips 

The main reason I want to go for the 860K is I don't wanna hop on the huge G3258 bandwagon.

"Rawr XD"

every machine I have ever owned has been AMD until this one so you would be grossly incorrect, iv had everything from k6 to barton cores with "the pencil mod" to FX chips 

doesnt mean yournot a fanboy look back at the earlier posts and say you were not without lying at least coming off like one i have worked on him already

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

The main reason I want to go for the 860K is I don't wanna hop on the huge G3258 bandwagon.

why not?

why not?

Because it's annoying and I don't want to contribute to it. Whether it's G3258 bandwagon, Strix 970 bandwagon, MX100 bandwagon...

There's always that lot of people who like them and recommend them just because everyone else does.

"Rawr XD"

Because it's annoying and I don't want to contribute to it. Whether it's G3258 bandwagon, Strix 970 bandwagon, MX100 bandwagon...

There's always that lot of people who like them and recommend them just because everyone else does.

did it ever occur to you people are riding that bandwagon because the band is really good 

if you are looking for a reason not to buy intel then just don't buy intel its your money 

did it ever occur to you people are riding that bandwagon because the band is really good 

No, people are just riding it cause it's big and other people who seem to know a bunch are on it. For a fact the G1 is better then the Strix for 970s, and the ADATA SP610/SP900 is better then the MX100 for SSDs.

For the G3258, all I asked is which CPU would be better at the current moment if they were both at the same clockspeed. Then I get a bunch of futureproofing and 4.4 vs 4.7 stuff thrown at me,

"Rawr XD"

i dont like the mx100 

i do like the other two though

No, people are just riding it cause it's big and other people who seem to know a bunch are on it. For a fact the G1 is better then the Strix for 970s, and the ADATA SP610/SP900 is better then the MX100 for SSDs.

For the G3258, all I asked is which CPU would be better at the current moment if they were both at the same clockspeed. Then I get a bunch of futureproofing and 4.4 vs 4.7 stuff thrown at me,

wow?

the g3258 plays many games like shit even when overclocked to 4.5ghz, two threads for gaming is not enough...here's my video on it recorded with shadowplay focus on gpu load and stuttering many games are unplayable on high settings:

adress any questions and comments you might have regarding this here:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/251230-how-bad-is-an-overclocked-pentium-g3258-at-playing-games/

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

the g3258 plays many games like shit even when overclocked to 4.5ghz, two threads for gaming is not enough...here's my video on it recorded with shadowplay focus on gpu load and stuttering many games are unplayable on high settings:

adress any questions and comments you might have regarding this here:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/251230-how-bad-is-an-overclocked-pentium-g3258-at-playing-games/

shadow play isn't cpu usage free also bf4 is a bit of a cpu whore anyway especially on 64man servers 

50FPS @ 1080p running battlefield 4 is very acceptable for a dual core 

dead rising another cpu bound game 

same with everything else you show all cpu bound games and a couple are pretty shoty ports anyway

you won't a get much  better results from the 860k

BF4 on ultra is going to hammer a CPU its why you don't do CPU benches with the graphics cranked it skews the results 

BF4 on ultra is going to hammer a CPU its why you don't do CPU benches with the graphics cranked it skews the results 

You do Benchmarks to see how it would perform in practice. If you want to play at 800x600 with no AA and all graphics set to low that your problem.

You do Benchmarks to see how it would perform in practice. If you want to play at 800x600 with no AA and all graphics set to low that your problem.

no

bf4 is a bit of a cpu whore anyway especially on 64man servers 

50FPS @ 1080p running battlefield 4 is very acceptable for a dual core 

dead rising another cpu bound game 

same with everything else you show all cpu bound games and a couple are pretty shoty ports anyway

you won't a get much  better results from the 860k

ahhhh that makes sense, i thought that testing a CPU with CPU intensive games was the proper way to do it...silly me :P

you're right i should have tested it with old games and non intensive old tech games, next time i'll make sure not to trow anything

CPU intensive at it to make sure it looks good to you and that we get great results.. ;)

this thread is going in circles the op can do whatever its his money I made my points and stand by them

nobody asked for your feelings and opinions on this you could have just keep going your way...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

• 4 years later...

necroing this thread because here we are 4 years later and what do you know you can't give a fx chip away 

8350's are going for a max of 50.00 bucks 

meanwhile I finally decided to replace my 4690k with a 9600k