860K vs G3258

Hey guys, 

So I was thinking of building my boyfriend a PC as a present since I've saved up quite a bit and have nothing else to do with it. All he really does it play Minecraft, Half Life, Portal, Borderlands, etc. so I don't need anything massively powerful. 

I'm buying locally from Memory Express in Canada since they have an actual store here, so my choices will be limited to there. So far I've laid out what we both seem to agree on, but the CPU remains the lesser point. I'm trying to decide between the G3258 and the Athlon 860K. The 860K is ten bucks more expensive, but an A78 motherboard is on sale and it's ten bucks cheaper then the cheapest H81, so in the end, they cost the same.

If I were to overclock both of them to 4GHz, which one would be a better choice for the application? I'm leaning towards the 860K but would like your peoples' opinions. 

Thanks! :)

edit: upgradability is NOT a concern. In a year or two this rig will just be used as an HTPC, and a much better rig will be built from the ground up for gaming and stuff.

"Rawr XD"

Hey guys, 

the pentium is more powerful and offers a better upgrade path

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

g3258, more performance and more upgrade ability too:

First Build:

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Black          GPU: MSI R9 270 Gaming@1050/1500         CPU: i5 4570          Motherboard: ASUS H81I Plus          PSU: Corsair CX600          RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport XT         Cooling: 230mm Bitfenix Spectre Pro Intake; Corsair AF140 Rear Exuast; 2x120mm Stock Case Fans Top Exuast        Storage: WD Blue 1TB          OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit

Pentium for sure. If you were not upgrading and going to play the newest games then 860k.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

So much this

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

Pentium, if you were playing newer games. then 860k

well the amd is slower even multithreaded

Pentium. 

Also only some H81 boards allow for overclocking, I know that asus has a bios out but I'm not certain about other boards.

Yeah I know but i'm just fed-up with Games turning off dual core support like far cry 4, Cod and stuff.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

The G3258 imho. Also leaves you a good upgrade path to other LGA-1150 CPUs like the unlocked i5s and i7s if he so desires to upgrade in the future, but this isn't really recommended for those types of games.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Yeah I know but i'm just fed-up with Games turning off dual core support like far cry 4, Cod and stuff.

true

I'm gonna call 860K.

I myself had a better gaming experience on my A8 5600K than a G3258, the FPS was smooth on the 3258 but frame time variance wasn't and the gameplay leaved quite a bit to be desired IMHO.

The G3258 imho. Also leaves you a good upgrade path to other LGA-1150 CPUs like the unlocked i5s and i7s if he so desires to upgrade in the future, but this isn't really recommended for those types of games.

but this is what can hapen in the future i5 5670k broadwell on a z97 board

get the pentium if want a great upgrade path and need the features of the newer intel chipset.

otherwise get the 860k, it performs a lot better.

Forgot to mention, don't care about being able to upgrade. The PC will be used for gaming for at most two years, or whenever Skylake is released.

"Rawr XD"

Forgot to mention, don't care about being able to upgrade. The PC will be used for gaming for at most two years, or whenever Skylake is released.

skylake is 8 months

Pentium. 

Also only some H81 boards allow for overclocking, I know that asus has a bios out but I'm not certain about other boards.

Cheapest H81 board is an MSI H81-P33, which does allow for overclocking the G3258.

"Rawr XD"

Broadwell isn't even here yet...

yea i know skylake is june -august by en all skews will be released

broadwell is january

delays shortened broadwell

yea i know skylake is june -august by en all skews will be released

broadwell is january

delays shortened broadwell

By the time Skylake hits the local PC parts store here, then enough will likely be saved up to build a Skylake i5/i7 rig. 

So again, yes the G3258 can be upgraded, but that's not important for this build. The point is the best performance now.

"Rawr XD"

Since you don't want to upgrade in the future, get the 860k.

That said, if you can somehow squeeze an i3, that is the vastly superior option.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

By the time Skylake hits the local PC parts store here, then enough will likely be saved up to build a Skylake i5/i7 rig. 

So again, yes the G3258 can be upgraded, but that's not important for this build. The point is the best performance now.

then g3258

Since you don't want to upgrade in the future, get the 860k.

That said, if you can somehow squeeze an i3, that is the vastly superior option.

this is much better

I'm gonna call 860K.

I myself had a better gaming experience on my A8 5600K than a G3258, the FPS was smooth on the 3258 but frame time variance wasn't and the gameplay leaved quite a bit to be desired IMHO.

i'm with harry as well...from my experience a quad-core amd run's most games better than a pentium with less micro-stuttering and better frametimes.

...and i'm with @Faceman as well, saving a little more fore a core i3 will give you a much better cpu all around.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I know for a fact that the 860K at the same clock speeds is much faster then the G3258 if you use all four cores. 

"Rawr XD"