120 hz External Monitor GS70 Stealth Pro Help

austimus

I have the laptop in this video:

(gs70 Stealth pro with a 970m)

I currently have a 144hz Benq XL 2420TE connected to it via HDMI. its currently running at 60hz 1920x1080p but i would like to know how to get it to run 120hz (the limit if hdmi iirc) or higher if i use a mini-display to display port ON the external monitor. I am currently driving ONLY the external monitor and not driving the laptop's display at all, and for some reason only get 60hz on the hdmi. Shouldnt i be getting 120hz if im utilizing the GPU (970m). I believe i am only using the integrated graphics to drive the external monitor but im not exactly sure how to change it so that the 970m is driving the external monitor (if indeed the aforementioned case is true).

Still getting used to Windows 8.1 so any help would be appreciated!

TL;DR;

Have external monitor set up using HDMI. Expected: 120hz, Actually getting only 60hz. Why?

If i used a mini display to display port, would i get 120hz+?

If i right click and check properties of the external monitor (the laptop display is off, only driving the external one), it says integrated graphics, is that because im not using the 970M to drive it? How would i change that?

Thanks so much!

--Austin

60Hz or 60 fps? I doubt that a single 970M can get you 120 fps anyway.

Can you change the settings on the monitor itself? I some games you can change the settings to output to 120Hz in game. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

60hz, at the moment the monitor is at 60hz, and i expected 120hz and also 120 frames in LoL on 970m

120Hz @ 1080p over HDMI isn't supported, you'll need to use DisplayPort to get that refresh rate.