Mechanical Keyboard with Laptop

rdeng2614

I have a laptop right now, I was wondering if it was possible that I buy a mechanical keyboard and hook it up to my laptop. I saw some other people do it and I wonder if it was possible.

If I could, is there a way to make the setup a little less cumbersome?

I am not sure which kind of keyboard I will be buying, whatever will fit. My laptop is a 14 inch laptop with an average size keyboard, no numpad or anything fancy like that.

Thanks

Sure it is, You just plug it in via USB. If you get a tenkeyless keyboard it's a little smaller.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I have a laptop right now, I was wondering if it was possible that I buy a mechanical keyboard and hook it up to my laptop. I saw some other people do it and I wonder if it was possible.

If I could, is there a way to make the setup a little less cumbersome?

I am not sure which kind of keyboard I will be buying, whatever will fit. My laptop is a 14 inch laptop with an average size keyboard, no numpad or anything fancy like that.

Thanks

msi is doing it

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

What do you mean msi is doing it?

Also, would I put the keyboard on top of my laptop keyboard or in front of my laptop keyboard? Which one is less cumbersome?

Would a full keyboard such as the K70/Logitech g710+ fit on a 14 inch length laptop keyboard or would I have to get a tenkeyless one?

Also, how would plugging it in work. Would the plugged in keyboard disable the laptop keyboard or what?

Thanks

Also, would I put the keyboard on top of my laptop keyboard or in front of my laptop keyboard? Which one is less cumbersome?

Would a full keyboard such as the K70/Logitech g710+ fit on a 14 inch length laptop keyboard or would I have to get a tenkeyless one?

Also, how would plugging it in work. Would the plugged in keyboard disable the laptop keyboard or what?

Thanks

MSI is making a laptop with a built in mechanical keyboard.

Where you put it is up to you, how you feel about it, how big your desk is

I'd recommend a tenkeyless one if you want to carry it around with you, but any keyboard would work if you're going to keep it at a desk.

It just plugs into the USB port. The laptop keyboard is not disabled.

"Rawr XD"

Is there any way to prevent accidental clicking (let's say I put it on top of my laptop keyboard, the buttons on the laptop keyboard might accidentally be clicked when I press the buttons of the mechanical keyboard that is on top of it.)

Some/most laptops have a button on the laptop to turn off the keyboard. If not you can just disable it in control panel. My friend uses a mechanical keyboard on top of his laptop keyboard and he has not has any issues though.

Ok, I see.

Is there ever an issue where the mechanical keyboard is too long to fit on a laptop, so keys like WASD Enter stuff like that are jutting out with nothing underneath them?

Thanks

Usually you put it in front, it;s just an extra bit. It doesn't disable the on board keyboard which is a good reason for not putting it on top. Tenkeyless is simply easier to carry around as it is smaller, mech boards are already heavy and thick so you might at least not make them very wide if you want to be mobile with it. You can leave it in your bag until you can sit down with your lappy at a desk or table, then hook it up for a better typing experience.

Honestly though, whatever you think is most convenient :P

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

For portability, try and look for either a TKL or a 60% keyboard.

A full-sized keyboard would be much too big for portable use. Or well, it would be cumbersome, at the very least.