Are cat 5e/6 Pacth cables useless?

Arty

What is the purpose of a patch cable?

ifi have  2 computers (laptop/desktop any mix and match) Windows 7/8,  i can plug a Regular cat cable into both Ethernet jacks, and share internet and files? 

is that what a patch cable is for? if it is then its useless? what am i missing here?

Just bringing this up causes of linus/ncix vid.

"cat" stands for category of cable and describes quality of that cable. (when speaking of twisted pair cables/patch cables)

"cat" stands for category of cable and describes quality of that cable. (when speaking of twisted pair cables/patch cables)

not relevant but ok...

not relevant but ok...

I want to say that there is no "cat" cable. There is patch cable that is divided by categories by characteristics in in cat5, cat5e, cat6, cat6e.

Maybe I am missing something.

What is the purpose of a patch cable?

ifi have  2 computers (laptop/desktop any mix and match) Windows 7/8,  i can plug a Regular cat cable into both Ethernet jacks, and share internet and files? 

is that what a patch cable is for? if it is then its useless? what am i missing here?

Just bringing this up causes of linus/ncix vid.

They are for making your own ethernet cables for cheaper and makeing them custom lengths and somepeople decide togo overboard and sleeve them with nice sleeves or decorate them... or you can use them to wire ethernet through your house...

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

They are for making your own ethernet cables for cheaper and makeing them custom lengths and somepeople decide togo overboard and sleeve them with nice sleeves or decorate them... or you can use them to wire ethernet through your house...

Wait, aren't patch cables (cords, w/e) are pre-made ones?

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

UTP and STP are just cables without connectors and pre-made ones are patch cables I think.

Nope xD unless I'm mistaken 

PatchCables-You make

Cables-Premade

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Yes they are, patch cords/cables are pre-terminated.

Linus's NCIX video showed you how to crimp your own connector onto a non-terminated cord. You probably won't ever need to do this unless you're looking to get some done to a custom length for routing around obstacles in a room or house.

The answer most people are looking for (my own definition): "Patch cords/cables" isn't quite a consumer term either, it's generally used by contractors and installers of networking gear (server rooms, data centers, etc). Patch cords generally connect a server to a switch or patch panel. 

Not useless... I make my own cables, to the right lenght. Why have 40 feet of extra cable lenght when I can just cut it and put a new connector on it....
Wish I could do that as easily with every cables out there.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Yes they are, patch cords/cables are pre-terminated.

Linus's NCIX video showed you how to crimp your own connector onto a non-terminated cord. You probably won't ever need to do this unless you're looking to get some done to a custom length for routing around obstacles in a room or house.

The answer most people are looking for (my own definition): "Patch cords/cables" isn't quite a consumer term either, it's generally used by contractors and installers of networking gear (server rooms, data centers, etc). Patch cords generally connect a server to a switch or patch panel. 

I'm making custom length cables all the time (for me it's simpler to have a roll of cable, a crimper and a bunch of connectors), I wasn't sure about... terminology :3

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Nope xD unless I'm mistaken 

PatchCables-You make

Cables-Premade

Sorry, you're incorrect.

Both are "cables".

A Patch Cable is a pre-made Ethernet Cable with the ends already terminated with RJ-45 connector plugs (Also called 8P8C, although there are minor technical differences).

A home-made cable, is simply a cable. You can "make" your own patch cable, by simply terminating both ends of some bulk cable.

@Arty the purpose of a patch cable is to connect any two pieces of Ethernet-supporting devices together. The most common use here would be connecting a PC to a Router or Switch.

Traditionally, if you want to Directly Connect two PC's together with no other networking equipment, you would use what is called a "Crossover Cable", which has (essentially) the pins reversed on one end. However, the need for such cables is greatly reduced today, because pretty much any industry spec Gigabit Ethernet NIC has what is called "Auto-MDIX", which auto-senses whether the cable is crossover or straight-through, and switches the connections NIC side as needed.

Some older 10/100 equipment will support Auto-MDIX as well.

So, TL;DR, a patch cable is just an ethernet cable. It can be used for pretty much anything that you would need to plug an ethernet cable into.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

UTP and STP are just cables without connectors and pre-made ones are patch cables I think.

Actually this is also incorrect. UTP and STP are types of cables, and have nothing to do with whether they are pre-made or custom-terminated.

UTP stands for: Unshielded Twisted Pair

This is pretty much your standard network Cat5 network cable (Though other variations exist, this is the most common type a consumer would see)

STP stands for, you guessed it: Shielded Twisted Pair

These cables are bulkier, because they have EMI shielding inside the cable.

Either of these are available as "patch" cables.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Fck sorry, i was thinking crossover cables xD those are useless, sorry for wasting all your times

Fck sorry, i was thinking crossover cables xD those are useless, sorry for wasting all your times

No worries :)

Crossover cables are basically useless in the modern industry. THOUGH if you get into Networking or Server Administration, you may occasionally need one when working with old equipment - of which there is PLENTY still in use by most big companies. Though even in that case, it's pretty rare, and you could just make one as needed with some bulk cable.

Also, Patchcables consist of braided wire.(better flexibility) Well, each CAT cable consists of 8 different wires inside.

The lan cable you put in the walls most likely only has one solid copper core. You should use a Patchpanel to connect a patchcable with an installationcable.

There is also Plenum rated cables. These are used in the spaces between the floors or air ducts. In case of a fire, they're mostly fire resistant or burn slower and emits less toxic fumes. Certain places, based on the fire code, it's required to install plenum rated cables in commercial buildings.  Plenum cables cost about twice as much as non plenum.

1000FT CAT6 non plenum $110

1000FT CAT6 Plenum $300

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list