Best Headphones Under $300?

I am looking to buy a fairly nice pair of headphones for myself.  I want them to be under $300, be closed back, over ear and comfortable, and not as ugly as a walrus.  I will be wearing them out in public quite a bit, while taking them to and from school in my backpack, so I need them to be decently strong.  I have five headphones in mind.  My first choice is the Sennheiser Urbanite XL, then the V-MODA Crossfade M-100, then the Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear, then the Audio Technica ATH-M50x, then finally the AKG K545.  Which one out of these would you reccomend?  Are there any others that I did not list that I should look into?  Thanks for your feedback.

Probably the ATH M50, or the ATH M50X and otherwise something Senheiser, like the Urbanite XL.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Beyerdynamic t51p but they are on ear headphones.

Out of the five you listed I've only ever heard the V-MODA Crossfade M-100 and the ATH-M50x

I would pick the Crossfades for style. Custom backplates are fun if you're into that sorta personalization.

I'd choose the ATH-M50x for throw-in-your-backpack durability. For me the hinges on the M50x scream confidence. And I guess it's stylish too in a simple kinda way.

Both sound excellent to me personally and you won't regret getting either of these.

(the M50x has sounded dark for me ever since I got used to the Grado sound sig though)

Out of the five you listed I've only ever heard the V-MODA Crossfade M-100 and the ATH-M50x

I would pick the Crossfades for style. Custom backplates are fun if you're into that sorta personalization.

I'd choose the ATH-M50x for throw-in-your-backpack durability. For me the hinges on the M50x scream confidence. And I guess it's stylish too in a simple kinda way.

Both sound excellent to me personally and you won't regret getting either of these.

(the M50x has sounded dark for me ever since I got used to the Grado sound sig though)

I Havce the crossdade LP (lower quality m100, same frame) and for me, they are pretty good. earcups to shallow for me, but you can buy new pads. A little tight clamp, prertty good overall, wont break

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Going to BestBuy right now, gunna try them out.  I have heard great things about them, but never tried them.  What makes them so good, and why are they always reccomended over more expensive headphones, like the Urbanites or the Crossfades?

why are they always reccomended over more expensive headphones, like the Urbanites or the Crossfades?

They're the most recommended because they get recommended the most. People whole never owned any other headphone get recommended it and then think they're some kinda expert because they have one headphone, so immediately go online and recommend it in every thread they see. Then the cycle repeats.

Going to BestBuy right now, gunna try them out.  I have heard great things about them, but never tried them.  What makes them so good, and why are they always reccomended over more expensive headphones, like the Urbanites or the Crossfades?

I've used my friend's before. They sound great, although my personal tastes told me that they weren't something for me. I like some more emphasized mid and high notes and this didn't give that enough to me. They still sound good and feel comfy and are very portable and look cool and are very good for the money, just not something I would buy for myself.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I just came across this brand called California, and they make the Silverado.  For their all aluminum and real leather build, they are extremely cheap.  How are these?

The silverados are good for their price. However, considering you have a budget of 300$ you can do much better. Sennheiser momentums cost around 250$ and they are very good.

Depends on how much you want to spend really.

If you're referring to the Audio Technica ATH M50s...

They are popular because they have a very balanced and clear sound. The crossfades and the urbanites are geared toward the average buyer (like beats) so they will add a little more bass in as generally the average consumer likes more bass. 

Audio Technica ATH M50's are made for studio monitoring, so they are very balanced sounding, and many audiophiles prefer balanced sound to a more bass-emphasized sound that the Crossfades and Urbanites offer.

Went to BestBuy.  Sadly, they did not have Urbanites or ATH M50x's, but they had Momentums and Crossfades.  The Momentums were extremely comfortable, but the Crossfades sounded better and were much more durable IMO.  One of the Momentum speakers was not even working.  Not saying they werent comfortable, they were like wearing nothing compared to my Beats Solo's.  I am probably going to go with the Crossfades.  I am not really an audiophile (yet), and I like good base.  I do, on the other hand, really care for good sounding crisp music, not like the sound from beats at all.  The headphones that come the closest to satisfying my needs are the Crossfades.

And I'm just sitting here with my $10 sony mdr ex10lp's

~Just the tips

The only good human being is a dead human being. 

I5 4690K MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G MSI Z97 GAMING 5 G.SKILL RIPJAWS X 2X8GB 1600MHZ CL10 CORSAIR CX750M CRUCIAL MX100 512GB 2X WD BLUE 1TB CORSAIR 300R BENQ RL2455HM ♦ WIN 8.1 PRO ♦ UBUNTU 14.04

Great that you've found a pair you like!

Too bad you weren't able to test out the Momentums properly since they're also pretty good.

PS: You don't have to be an expert audiophile to know what sounds good to you. We all have different ears, style preferences and different music to listen to.

Just keep trying on headphones and just get the one that you enjoy the most. Just my two cents.

If you aren't willing to get a portable amp/dac, I'd say the Sennheiser Momentums would be a good option, but Mad Dogs would serve you best otherwise.

ATH-M50 or ATH-M50x's. If you need a microphone, I would check out the mod mic 4.0

Both the studio monitors and the mod mic 4.0 can be picked up for roughly $250 + SaH.

Hope I could help.