a computer for 75YO setup?

HeyKitty

So a tad back story.  I now teach private computer lessons, and one of the people I teach is my old piano teacher, who still teaches some people I know FOR FREE, she is super sweet (blah blah blah) and her computer is an old 2004ish desktop. talking 2gigs DDR2, single core intel CPU, got a big ole box monitor, and the cheap $15 keyboard that comes with the bundle. it takes her internet 30 minutes to load (28 timed for facebook) though I can load it on my laptop using her internet in under 5 seconds.  or more relelvent I guess, MSword takes 2 minutes to start...  ive already cleaned and uninstalled pretty much everything from the computer that isnt needed.  It's just old. :/

I'd like to keep prices under $200 total. I'm all over craigslist, but would like some ideas.

So things Id like to get her:

a larger monitor, doesnt need to be high-res or pretty, just need fonts larger without making everything all messed up.

She already wants a mechanical keyboard (she likes the type-writer feel (I brought my cherry MXblues keyboard one week))

and then the actual computer with 4GB+ and at least a dual core... though prices may not allow that..

so yeah,  any help with building a super cheap computer (or getting a pre-built) would be absolutly great, I've built 3 custom PCs, but those were $600, 800, 2,000. just for the tower, so this is a little rougher for me.

THIS IS MY SUPER TEENY TINY SIGNATURE!

Ain't it just the cutest little signature.

Some would argue it is the cutest little signature ever.

I'd like to keep prices under $200 total. I'm all over craigslist, but would like some ideas.

So things Id like to get her:

a larger monitor, doesnt need to be high-res or pretty, just need fonts larger without making everything all messed up.

She already wants a mechanical keyboard (she likes the type-writer feel (I brought my cherry MXblues keyboard one week))

and then the actual computer with 4GB+ and at least a dual core... though prices may not allow that..

An AMD 5350 system with an SSD.

"Rawr XD"

Just get a super cheap pre-built PC and throw a 60/128GB ssd in there.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

An AMD 5350 system with an SSD.

thank ya, I'm %100 intel, so AMD is a tad confusing, but for this particular build, I feel AMD is the way to go simply because price is such a big deal.

Just get a super cheap pre-built PC and throw a 60/128GB ssd in there.

I am hoping to get an SSD in the build, she has no use for 128GB, her current computer, after being hand-me-downed from her daughter still has less than 80GB used! (oh, feel I should mention its running win7) so 64GBish would probably be a good one!

Im still having a bloody hard time finding a super cheap-o mechanical keyboard. any suggestions on how to acquire that?

thank ya, I'm %100 intel, so AMD is a tad confusing, but for this particular build, I feel AMD is the way to go simply because price is such a big deal

Fanboys 

The PC alone could be done for $200, but keyboard and monitor added on will bring up cost by a lot.

CPU: Intel Celeron G1820 2.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($47.98 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($27.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team Elite 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($31.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $197.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-22 11:17 EST-0500

I am hoping to get an SSD in the build, she has no use for 128GB, her current computer, after being hand-me-downed from her daughter still has less than 80GB used! (oh, feel I should mention its running win7) so 64GBish would probably be a good one!

But the price gap between 64GB and 128GB SSDs is very small.

"Rawr XD"

I think that this new HP notebook with Windows 8.1 for around $200 would be best option.

HP Stream 11 it is called I believe.

I think that this new HP notebook with Windows 8.1 for around $200 would be best option.

HP Stream 11 it is called I believe.

I like it, though she doesnt like her rubber dome keyboard, and I highly doubt she'll like a laptop keyboard.  and im worried that the screen is to small. :/  I was looking into getting one for myself though! :)

Fanboys 

The PC alone could be done for $200, but keyboard and monitor added on will bring up cost by a lot.

CPU: Intel Celeron G1820 2.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($47.98 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($27.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team Elite 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($31.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $197.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-22 11:17 EST-0500

But the price gap between 64GB and 128GB SSDs is very small.

yes, I am an intel fanboy :P though not the point.

thanks for that build, I'll have to look into it!  I didnt think the whole thing would be possible under $200, but was hoping that someone here could prove me wrong. :) because I often am :P

I like it, though she doesnt like her rubber dome keyboard, and I highly doubt she'll like a laptop keyboard.  and im worried that the screen is to small. :/  I was looking into getting one for myself though! :)

I'm afraid that for $200 she is expecting too much. PC alone can be done but keyboard, mouse, monitor will be at least another $100-$150

I'm afraid that for $200 she is expecting too much. PC alone can be done but keyboard, mouse, monitor will be at least another $100-$150

well I was hoping $200 (its a gift to her)  I just want something she can use for email/facebook/her churches videos/she wants to write piano music on it too.  (she cant always make it.)