Basic OC on I7 4770k causing issues

Okay I have adressed this issue before a few days ago though I thought it's origins were GPU related. It appears to be CPU related.

Specs:

I7 4770k OC'd 4,4Ghz
Asus Maximus VI Hero
16GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX Blu
EVGA GTX 780 6GB SC ACX in SLI
Corsair  AX860iW
Some HDD's and SSDs

Okay so when removing the OC the system is all fine. But as you can see I have an Asus ROG board. So I use AI Suite 3 for the overclock. Now I've used to OC to 4,4Ghz for over a year now without any issues. That is till a few weeks ago. I am receiving small stutter while under load, as mentioned I thought this was GPU related but it's not those check out.

I ran tests with Prime95 for 24 hours, no issues, memtest86 etc.. No issues found. All checked out. But here's the thing, how can it be that this OC is suddenly unstable? I am a newbie when it comes to OC'ing but the added performance is quite the must have with streaming etc.

I have iGPU enabled for Intel Quick Sync but even with that turned off I still get the stutter. Most important part, I never had any BSOD's at all!

Temps are fine, no issues there. Anyone a clue?

Edit: Screen of AI Suite 3 under load.

2yycl76.png

Edit 2: Also got footage of what happens every now and then

CPU:Intel I7-6700k , CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO MB: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, Ram: Kingston 2666 Mhz 16GB, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0, PSU: Corsair AXi 860W, HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1x2TB, WD Green 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Samsung 1TB, SSD Samsung 840 120GB (OS DRIVE), SSD Samsung 840 250GB, Case: Enermax Fulmo GT.

Can you please upload the non-thumbnail version of that image.

Use imgur or something... Can't see shit on that picture.

1zlb2f5.png

Everything is on Auto settings and done by Dual Intelligent Processors 4. And the Fans are on a Fan header.

CPU:Intel I7-6700k , CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO MB: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, Ram: Kingston 2666 Mhz 16GB, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0, PSU: Corsair AXi 860W, HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1x2TB, WD Green 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Samsung 1TB, SSD Samsung 840 120GB (OS DRIVE), SSD Samsung 840 250GB, Case: Enermax Fulmo GT.

What about temps during load. 

Are fine, won't exceed 55 degrees. No throttling, nothing.

Are fine, won't exceed 55 degrees. No throttling, nothing.

4770K @ 1.2+V on a 212 Evo <55 degree? Impossible. Can we please have the real numbers?

Run 27.9 prime for 30-45min please and post screenshot.

Can't help you if you do not provide accurate data.

4770K @ 1.2+V on a 212 Evo <55 degree? Impossible. Can we please have the real numbers?

Run 27.9 prime for 30-45min please and post screenshot.

Can't help you if you do not provide accurate data.

Sorry but on the average load I have, yeah these are the numbers. Both BIOS and this utility confirm that. Problem?

Oh and it's called Prime 95 but apparently you didn't read the OP properly...

Sorry but on the average load I have, yeah these are the numbers. Both BIOS and this utility confirm that. Problem?

4770K at 1.216V, 4.4ghz on a 212 EVO should be hitting 70+ in prime95 27.9.

So either you're lying, or it's throttling.

Still waiting for the screenshot btw.

4770K at 1.216V, 4.4ghz on a 212 EVO should be hitting 70+ in prime95 27.9.

So either you're lying, or it's throttling.

Still waiting for the screenshot btw.

Well if you want prime 95 have fun as it's (as usual) cranking up the voltage too!

vrd83l.png

Btw, you're not smart are you? "Still waiting for the screenshot btw" while you're the one who said, 30-45 minutes. Please, think what you are saying before posting, just an advice. No hatred, just advice.

But wait, there's more: 30vyf6h.png

And to mix it up. HWMonitor

s1ncq0.png

I wasn't expecting it already, just said i'd be halting advice till I saw the screenshot. I can count.

Dude, y'know what.. figure it out yourself. CBA to help someone with this attitude.

Dude, whatever. Figure it out yourself.

CBA to help someone with this attitude.

You're the one starting it. I just put you on your place. I'm totally not sorry for doing that.

Next time, do bloody research would ya?

You're the one starting it. I just put you on your place. I'm totally not sorry for doing that.

Next time, do bloody research would ya?

Are you kidding me. All I asked was "load temperatures?" And you proceeded with giving absolute bogus numbers and i called you out on it. You then proceeded being extremely toxic.

I have a Haswell chip myself, I know what temps they run at during prime. I barely reached those numbers with a H105 and a delid (liquid ultra TIM) on a i5. You just chose the wrong person to fling BS at.

Goddamn, what's up with these toxic communities everywhere. Do you even realise you're asking for a favor? It's my spare time, and i'm helping you out of good faith without getting payed for it.

And you proceed with treating me like dirt and then somehow even dare to shift the blame on me. I can't even right now...

EDIT: that screenshot, it's not 55 and going from 1.216V to 1.345 doesn't raise temps that big. And it went from min 84 to max 88. Meaning you enabled it somewhere during the test, or only ran it for a couple of seconds.

Make a screenshot running Realtemp, prime95 27.9 in a desktop and show where the test started and ended. Basic #101 troubleshooting procedure. You have nothing to prove towards us, we know Haswells run hot.

If it's spiking over 100 after 30-45min it can cause microthrottling, perfectly explaining your problem. If it isn't, then something else is the issue.

I really do not understand your defensive nature.

Are you kidding me. All I asked was "load temperatures?" And you proceeded with giving absolute bogus numbers and i called you out on it. You then proceeded being extremely toxic.

I have a Haswell chip myself, I know what temps they run at during prime. I barely reached those numbers with a H105 and a delid (liquid ultra TIM) on a i5. You just chose the wrong person to fling BS at.

Goddamn, what's up with these toxic communities everywhere. 

Yes you called BS while there is no BS. So you received return fire and got burned. (lol while burning the CPU in a test).

There's a couple of things you might have forgotten who can have effect on these things like the actual airflow, room temps etc. These are low, room is roughly 20 degrees atm and the airflow, well it has 7 fans from the case it's getting so you can do the math. (I suck at math).

Anyway, when it comes to arguing, you picked the wrong person ^^ Rather hate on Law Students then.

On your last edit, kinda makes sense as I actually said I enabled it during the test, this was after 10 minutes. Now 30 minutes later on I got readings hitting 100 max. But that is cranked on 1.3V+ No wonders I go up that high then.. Especially when during the normal stuff it won't even get there. Pushing it to all limits makes sense it will run hotter than REAL world. 

Anyway, still doesn't explain why this starts after 1-1.5 YEARS instead of like. "Oh maybe the cooling paste wasn't applied well this time"...

316xhk3.png

Yes you called BS while there is no BS. So you received return fire and got burned. (lol while burning the CPU in a test).

Anyway, when it comes to arguing, you picked the wrong person ^^ Rather hate on Law Students then.

You're not arguing. You're overestimating your own competence and try to remove dissonance by changing your attitude. Basic Dunning-Kruger/Cognitive Dissonance right there.

Judging from the temps, I wasn't wrong with blaming temps as a possible culprit. 100C means thermal throttle.

On your last edit, kinda makes sense as I actually said I enabled it during the test, this was after 10 minutes. Now 30 minutes later on I got readings hitting 100 max. But that is cranked on 1.3V+ No wonders I go up that high then.. Especially when during the normal stuff it won't even get there. Pushing it to all limits makes sense it will run hotter than REAL world. 

It can still spike. BF4 is no joke in CPU load. So return the values back to 1.216, install afterburner, monitor CPU temps with a 100ms polling rate (as low as possible) and look what happens.

And seriously don't underestimate or patronize someone like that again, if you want help on a forum. You had no reason to rail on my like that.

You're not arguing. You're overestimating your own competence and try to remove dissonance by changing your attitude. Basic Dunning-Kruger/Cognitive Dissonance right there.

Judging from the temps, I wasn't wrong with blaming temps as a possible culprit. 100C means thermal throttle.

It can still spike. BF4 is no joke in CPU load. So return the values back to 1.216, install afterburner, monitor CPU temps with a 100ms polling rate (as low as possible) and look what happens.

Cool nice standard issue psychology there. You failed at it btw, just like "you're defensive" lol. Not even a tiny bit. Anyway if you want to continue a proper argument, sue me ;) you'll lose.

Now it's all nice and stuff. But temps hit 100C with 1.3+V NO SHIT SHERLOCK. It's not going there on 1.264V which the actual clock is for 4.4Ghz. Problem? Anyway, I used BF4 as an example but we're also talking about low CPU grade games like Payday 2, WoW, and well loads of other games too many to name. Even when the CPU is at 30% load, this will happen. It's running cold as sh*t and yet it happens. Care to explain that eh? 

plz no fights 

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Re-applied the BIOS. Issue seems fixed as it's not occuring. Apparently something went wrongthe last time

1.35V is red line for haswell serious degradation starts there

Although degradation is not what will kill the CPU. CPUs can suddenly go 'pop' regardless of the settings.

Up to 1.4V if OP can keep it cool.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Why don't you just Overclock via bios or IETU? I have the same mobo I honestly didn't even install that utility because it's complete shit. 

Plus you should not run Prime95 when the voltage is adaptive, make it fixed first. And getting 55Celsius on Prime95 with only 212 Evo doesn't seem realistic.

INTEL Core i7-4790K  ASUS Maximus VII Ranger  CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133MHz  EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti  SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB  CORSAIR AX860i  CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

Sorry Quoting seems not to work for me at the moment.

Fixed the vcore to 1.25 as I know that is stable. Did that for a while now and as I was flaming the first responder on, that the CPU ran waayy too hot on 1.3V+ was kinda obvious. Not to mention it doesn't even go there.

Why use the utility? As said in the first post I am a newbie when it comes to OC'ing, I now used BIOS a few hours ago (funny as you mentioned it here). Started off with 4.2Ghz, that was stable and temps not exceeding 68C with prime 95. Now running 4.4Ghz and temps stick roughly around 87C, test is still running at this time. This might go up.

As I mentioned before it didn't exceed 55, turns out the utility is shit indeed, using HWMonitor now. Which also could have been mentioned first but nobody did.

Sorry Quoting seems not to work for me at the moment.

Fixed the vcore to 1.25 as I know that is stable. Did that for a while now and as I was flaming the first responder on, that the CPU ran waayy too hot on 1.3V+ was kinda obvious. Not to mention it doesn't even go there.

Why use the utility? As said in the first post I am a newbie when it comes to OC'ing, I now used BIOS a few hours ago (funny as you mentioned it here). Started off with 4.2Ghz, that was stable and temps not exceeding 68C with prime 95. Now running 4.4Ghz and temps stick roughly around 87C, test is still running at this time. This might go up.

As I mentioned before it didn't exceed 55, turns out the utility is shit indeed, using HWMonitor now. Which also could have been mentioned first but nobody did.

I take it that the utility had auto voltage enabled? Never use auto voltage.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

*note: for some reason I can't quote in either IE or Google Chrome. ---> Saw the post just now about the issue.

Well, I ran AI Suite 3 with Dual Intelligent processors and let it do the work. So yeah things were on Auto.

After that I tried the onboard CPU level up thing which seems to work yet keeps things on Auto. Unfortunately I just BSOD'ed while running prime 95 with vcore set to 1.25V. So that one is unstable :/

As said, I am a absolute newbie when it comes to OC'ing. Especially manually. I've read a lot about the 4770k, but can't seem to figure it really out yet.