what to do with MEMORY.DMP file after blue screen crash

HumbleRumble
Go to solution Solved by nanowatt,

dont know what that setting means

The error you have is related to a hardware change so since the hdd you the only thing you changed that must be the problem that or some compatibility issues.And this is ahci

bios_ahci.png

recently i had this twice so i did a complete clean install of windows but this just happened again. strating to think its my grpahics driver but iv done evrything from uninstaling and reinstalling to try several older drivers. alot of forums ask people to upload their files so that someone else can analyse whats going on but i want to get this sorted out as soon as possible and maybe do it my self

Well if you can give us that file it would be good.Because we can't know for sure what is the source of the problem.Did you had this kind of problem before?Did you made any recent changes to the pc?Oc adding new hardware cleaning the dust...etc

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Well if you can give us that file it would be good.Because we can't know for sure what is the source of the problem.Did you had this kind of problem before?Did you many any recent changes to the pc?Oc adding new hardware cleaning the dust...etc

sure if you tell me how/where to uplaod the file il do that

and yea this happened a couple times before reinstalling windows but first time its happened since then. and this was like yesterday so my pc is running on pretty minimal drivers apart from the ones that games install on steam and origin and also i have PIA VPN on all the time if that counts for anything

sure if you tell me how/where to uplaod the file il do that

and yea this happened a couple times before reinstalling windows but first time its happened since then. and this was like yesterday so my pc is running on pretty minimal drivers apart from the ones that games install on steam and origin and also i have PIA VPN on all the time if that counts for anything

You still didn't answer my question.Have you done any kind of oc to cpu,memory or gpu?Did you made any changes what so ever before the blue screen starting to show up?A widows usually shouldn't cause any kind of blue screen .Does the blue screen come up when you play a game or is random?

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

You still didn't answer my question.Have you done any kind of oc to cpu,memory or gpu?Did you made any changes what so ever before the blue screen starting to show up?A widows usually shouldn't cause any kind of blue screen .Does the blue screen come up when you play a game or is random?

uhm no OC apart from my graphics card but for the past few weeks its been on stock and didnt even push it hard before hand. i actually did change a few registrys to allow corsair link to work but i did that months ago and never created a problem. and its never happened during a game but it does happen when watching youtube but then again im always watching something 90% of the time

oh yea i got a 1tb black diver last week and didnt have blue screens before that but i doubt that would be an issue

Edited by chinkyarmour

uhm no OC apart from my graphics card but for the past few weeks its been on stock and didnt even push it hard before hand. i actually did change a few registrys to allow corsair link to work but i did that months ago and never created a problem. and its never happened during a game but it does happen when watching youtube but then again im always watching something 90% of the time

Then is not a hardware issue.Download this.Installing myself now so i can see how it works but can find info here

Then is not a hardware issue.Download this.Installing myself now so i can see how it works but can find info here

to confirm what is it exactly you wanted me to download from that page. i got the wdk and visual studio anyway but would the standalone debugging tool be fine cause that took up alot of space

to confirm what is it exactly you wanted me to download from that page. i got the wdk and visual studio anyway but would the standalone debugging tool be fine cause that took up alot of space

Leave it is not what i am looking for.I am tying to find a software to help you read those and diagnose the problem

Leave it is not what i am looking for.I am tying to find a software to help you read those and diagnose the problem

well i just used debug kit anyway and saved the anylsis as a txt document

bsodanalysis.TXT

Yes the hdd can cause problems.Did you reformat the hdd and set the mode to achi?

Yes the hdd can cause problems.Did you reformat the hdd and set the mode to achi?

also its just for storage. i ave an ssd for my os

Edited by chinkyarmour

The error you have is related to a hardware change so since the hdd you the only thing you changed that must be the problem that or some compatibility issues.And this is ahci

bios_ahci.png

ah ok well i checked in my device manager and nothing had ahci in it and i check in my bios for atleast an hour or so cause im copying files but if i have to enable this will i have to reformat my drives

ah ok well i checked in my device manager and nothing had ahci in it and i check in my bios for atleast an hour or so cause im copying files but if i have to enable this will i have to reformat my drives

Generally speaking yes, but there are ways around it: http://pricklytech.wordpress.com/2014/02/04/windows-8-1-enabling-ahci-after-installing-windows/

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

FIrstly I would make sure your GPU drivers are the very latest drivers available and install this patch http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2818604

This should fix this issue right up, if not, lemme know.

*EDIT*

To save some time, if what I suggested does not work to solve the issue here is the next step:

Do this...

Driver Verifier

The Driver Verifier is a component of Windows starting with Windows Server 2003 (8, 7, Vista, XP, 2008/R2) which is used to promote stability and reliability. Drivers are kernel-mode components that if do not behave correctly can cause system corruption, failures and other crashes.

If a non-Microsoft driver is running around in bad territory and causing your computer to blue-screen, turning on the Driver Verifier will help to pinpoint which driver is at fault, after which it then can be updated or removed from the system.

How to enable the Driver Verifier

Create a System Restore point

This section does NOT apply to Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 or 2008/R2

1. Click Start
2. In the search box, type sysdm.cpl and then press ENTER.
3. Verify that the system disk is selected and click the Create button.
4. Type a description for the restore point.
5. Click the Create button. A status bar will appear as Vista saves your files. When the process is complete, a message box will appear indicating that the restore point was created.

Configure Driver Verifier

1. Click Start
2. In the search box, type verifier and then press ENTER.
3. Ensure that Create custom settings (for code developers) is selected and then clickNext.
4. Select Select individual settings from a full list and then click Next.
5. Place a check mark next to the following boxes:

• Special Pool
  • Pool Tracking
  • Force IRQL Checking
  • Deadlock Detection
  • Security Checks (Windows 7 and Windows 8)
  • DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
  • Miscellaneous Checks

6. Click Next and then select Select driver names from a list.
7. Click the Provider column to sort drivers by their provider.
8. Place a check mark next to each box that is NOT provided by Microsoft or Microsoft Corporation.
9. Click Finish and restart your computer.

What you should know about the Driver Verifier

The Driver Verifier works by monitoring the drivers you selected and then if a violation is detected, it will immediately cause a blue-screen

Sometimes after the Driver Verifier is enabled and you restart your computer, you may blue-screen before being able to log on to Windows. This happens when the Driver Verifier detects a violation from a driver that is set to load at boot time. This is no cause for concern - to resume normal operation, follow the below steps:

1. Restart the computer in Safe Mode by selecting it from the F8 boot menu (press F8 repeatedly after the system restarts).
2. Once in Safe Mode, do the following:

If you created a restore point and are NOT running Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 or 2008/R2:

• Click Start, type system restore in the search box, and then press ENTER.
  • Restore your computer to the point you created beforehand.

If you are running Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 or 2008/R2, or could not create a restore point beforehand:

• Click Start, type cmd in the search box, and then press ENTER.
  • At the command prompt, type verifier /reset and then press ENTER.
  • Restart your computer

How long do I leave the Driver Verifier enabled?

Keep the Driver Verifier enabled for around 24-48 hours - don't worry too much about getting the timing perfect. If your computer does not blue-screen during that time, you can disable the Driver Verifier by following the steps above.

A blue-screen occurred, what should I do?

The minidumps generated by your blue-screen will now have more information in them due to Driver Verifier being enabled. They will be located at %windir%\Minidump. Save these and attach them to your next reply for analysis.

This will provide alot more than the standard BSOD error info and if its driver related, will pinpoint the issue.

Chances are you computer will BSOD within 10 minutes of starting up if its a driver issue. Dont be alarmed its supposed to do that. Just disable the verifier and upload the DMP.

If you can run your system for 24 hours with verifier enabled without a BSOD come back and let me know.

hah yea thats the exact link i followed

FIrstly I would make sure your GPU drivers are the very latest drivers available and install this patch http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2818604

il make sure to post to you if it happens again but i did what nanowatt suggested and nothing has happened yet (infact i think my pc might be running smoother in general) but only time will tell.

i saw you try to help some other guy out with a bsod issue and i would appreciate it if you could look and the dmp file i posted above to see if theres something you can spot. doesnt mean much to me =/

hah yea thats the exact link i followed

il make sure to post to you if it happens again but i did what nanowatt suggested and nothing has happened yet (infact i think my pc might be running smoother in general) but only time will tell.

i saw you try to help some other guy out with a bsod issue and i would appreciate it if you could look and the dmp file i posted above to see if theres something you can spot. doesnt mean much to me =/

The WinDbg output you gave can only tell us so much. It was an memory exception if I recall correctly. If after using AHCI you still experience issues, please run a memory test Using Memtest86+.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

The WinDbg output you gave can only tell us so much. It was an memory exception if I recall correctly. If after using AHCI you still experience issues, please run a memory test Using Memtest86+.

i actually did that right after i reinstalled my OS but that passed with no errors

i actually did that right after i reinstalled my OS but that passed with no errors

Ok, good. Please keep us posted if anything happens. In the meantime, if the issue was resolved for you, please remember to mark the thread as solved to help others who may come across the issue in the future.

*EDIT*

i did that also before and it blue screened everytime i logged off and at that point i got frustrated then reinstalled windows. il give it a go again if something happens and actually look in to it properly

If your system BSOD's with verifier enabled then its 100% a driver issue.

If you continue to have issues, do it again but dont worry/get frustrated when it constantly BSOD's on startup. Its supposed to do that. Just switch verifier back off and then post the dmp's. It'll detail EXACTLY what the issue is.