Should I upgrade to a 1440p monitor. Need advice from people with one

Matthew12106

So basically now that Christmas is coming up and maybe some nice deals will come I'm thinking if I should buy a 1440p monitor. But I have 3 concerns

1. I'm not sure and I need some advice. Basically downstairs we have a 27" mac (I didn't buy it I swear) and it's 1440p. I always noticed the screen Realestate was great but wasn't blown away really. So I fired up heaven 4.0 to do some testing. Now it was hard considering that I was getting like 4 fps with everything cranked up. But I managed to get some screenshots of 1080p vs 1440p and I can definitely see 1440p is more sharp. Here are the two screenshots I got

1440p

oUK53OD.jpg

1080p

Hi4Q9wD.jpg

Now correct my If I'm wrong but won't the difference between 1080 and 1440 be even less because 1080p on a native 1440p screen looks worse than just 1080p native? Its more sharp but IDK if it's mind blowing enough not sure :/ do you think the image quality is worth it?

2. I have a Fx-8350 with a gtx 970. Now that's pretty powerful but I might have to turn some things down like AA? Do you still think it will be still worth it. Well tbh in Cod Avanced warfare I  maxed out everything and still had power to spare to I turned super sampling to 2x I guess I could turn that off with 1440p and It would still look better right? 

3. So basically I am looking really towards the budget side of 1440p monitors like £300-£350 and idk if they will be good cause they might have backlight bleed or other problems not sure. I'll show you some options that are in my price range and you can tell me what you think (From three uk online shops)

L5KpQCF.pngnot the last two monitors in this picture

5uxiv5X.png

PGd2MON.png

Thanks so much for any help

My Gaming Setup: CPU: AMD FX-8350  |  CoolingCooler Master Hyper 212 Evo   Motherboard: Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0   Ram: Corsair 16gb 1600mhz lp (2x8)   GPU: Msi Gtx 970 |  StorageSeagate Barracuda 1tb & Samsung 840 Evo 120gb   PSU: XFX 550w Core Edition   Case: Corsair 760t   OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit  

Peripherals: Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry Mx Brown   Mouse: Corsair M65 Black   Speakers: Microlab FC20 40w 2.1   Monitor: LG 29UM65 29" 2560x1080 IPS 5ms Ultra Wide

Switching from a 24" 1080p TN to a 27" 1440p IPS (ASUS  PB 278Q) Monitor was a huge upgrade. While I was able to distinguish pixels on the 1080p monitor, on the 1440p Monitor I simply can't. Everything is very sharp and defined. I am sitting about 50 cm away from my Monitors, so rather close.

I have a 980 and have not encountered a Game I can not run on ultra, but for some more demanding games I do have to turn AA down a little, but to be honest, I just have it turned on because I can, you will have to look closely with many games to notice low AA.

The biggest upgrade was the upgrade to IPS. The colours look great, especaly white. The 24" TN panel looks like recycling paper compared to the 27" IPS.

The scaling works great for most apps, but some just don't have the best quality. (I am looking at you youtube...)

The biggest Issue I have so far ist the UI scaling in some games, or more specifically the not exsitant scaling. you will struggle with small UI elements and especially in older games even comletly lacking support for the resulution.

I am very sensitive to motion blur and hand had a chance to test a 144 HZ monitor and all my eyestrain I normaly have while playing for a longer time went away.

ONLY if this is true for you, or you are gaming competitively, getting a 144 HZ monitor might be another option to look into, because then it might help the picture clarity for fast games more than 1440p, if you don't have a problem with screen real estate pixel density or colours, since the colours on a 144 HZ Monitor mostly look even worse than on a 60 HZ TN. Sadly even less games do support 144 HZ than 1440p.

I went from a 27" 1080p monitor to a 27" 1440p @ 144hz. The pixel density increase is noticeably different between the two 27" monitors, but I will say that the 144hz is a much more noticeable and enjoyable experience. If you play a lot of video games, it is the only way to go imo. I can't go back to 60hz anymore. With a 970 a 1440p monitor will be very easy to run, no problem.

GO for it. I went from a FHD TN to PLS 1440p and it was worth every penny.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3