Good idea to plug all peripherals into USB hub?

Aleks

I am working on my main setup and I have decided to move my PC a little further away from my screens and peripherals. Am I able to use a USB hub to plug things such as my Mic/Heaphone Amp, keyboard, mouse, webcam and so on into the hub? will this cause any sort of response lag. And will it affect and profiling I would do for peripherals? Thanks!

Bitch please, i'm using a USB 3.0 just for my usb cheapy mouse, and another for the cooling base :P

Don't get mad, get even...

If it's a non-powered hub you may run into issues with power draw off a single port. Also you may run into bandwidth issues if it's a USB 2.0 hub and port.

"Rawr XD"

If it's a non-powered hub you may run into issues with power draw off a single port. Also you may run into bandwidth issues if it's a USB 2.0 hub and port.

Yea the power draw is what I was worried about, besides that you think USB 3.0 is a safer option?

If you get a powered USB3 hub, plugged in to a USB3 port and run USB2 devices off it you should be fine.

Unless you do something crazy like a 10port hub with 9 SSDs and a mouse, The mouse might not work properly, but I doubt you would be doing anything quite that insane.

An unpowered USB 2.0 hub will run out of bandwidth very quickly and if you're powering anything, you will run into draw issues as they only output at 1 amp from the port.

Get a powered USB 3.0 hub and you'll be fine.

I personally hook up my keyboards and mice up to the hubs on my monitors. Less clutter, and more ports open behind the PC. I also keep my microphone hooked up to it (when I have to use it).

i've never really had a good experience with usb hubs at different price ranges always seem to not work as well as an actual usb slot on your case or motherboard 

It depends on whether you get a usb 2 or usb 3 hub, and the quality of it, I've had several cases where usb hubs (2.0 &3.0) have failed taking out what I had plugged into them at the time, it all depends on if you actually need it. For a laptop if it takes an expansion card buy an usb 3.0 pcmcia card, or if you want even more ports, a 2-4 port usb 2.0 pcmcia card, I used to use one on my old laptop before I replaced it)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL