LinusTechTips Devil's Canyon OC guide questions

dgmulf

I'm waiting for the parts for my new 4790k based build to arrive, and killing time by researching the overclocking process. I'm confused about this particular section of Linus' overclocking guide (the link jumps to the section I'm discussing): 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBfXruwe8w4#t=590

[EDIT: I think I mostly answered these questions for myself, but see my newer post]

Once he switches to Adaptive voltage mode, he dials in "CPU Core Voltage Offset" at 0.050. Where does this number come from? Do I always use this setting for overclocking a 4790k?

Then he says to use a "real-world stress test like Cinebench to validate your load voltage". So he's saying that Cinebench will let me know, if I dial 1.3V into my UEFI BIOS for instance, that I am indeed running the CPU at 1.3V?

"I found that just doing the math and keying in the same number actually didn't work." What? I'm dumb.

- snap -

This number comes from tests, no you won't pretty likely be able to use that because every chip is different, and there's no such program that says how much voltage do you need... However, here you can find a better guide:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

Yes, its for 4770k, but urs is a 4770k... ;)

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

^ Thanks.

I have another question. Overclocking guides warn about the dangers of pushing CPU core voltage too high. Is this only because excess voltage risks overheating your CPU? Or is there some other reason? In other words, if I have really good cooling, can I safely push voltage higher than the recommended 1.3v limit?

It's my understanding, and I am by no means an expert, that you can push your voltage as high as you are comfortable with, as long as you have a cooling solution that can handle it. This does NOT MEAN that it's safe to do so however. Increasing voltage, creates more HEAT. Heat, and the voltage that caused it, can 'erode' the life of your CPU. It can even KILL a processor (whatever part you happen to be overclocking really) no questions asked, no take backs, just BOOM dead.

It all comes down the the 'Silicon Lottery' really, some chips overclock REALLLY well. Other's, may not be able to go faster than stock. It all depends on your chip and its capabilities.

“At bottom, you see, we are not Homo sapiens as all. Our core is madness. The prime directive is murder. What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous mother******* in the jungle." - Steven King, Cell