"What key switch should I get?" - Look here!

i need money to buy a mx brown/green/clear.......apprently gaming with a blue wasn't fun with a G710+.

It said I should go for blues.

How quiet are blues compared to something such as a membrane keyboard?

I actually got a K70 with blues a few months back, and did a thing with a friend (who has a K70 with reds) where we are trading for awhile, and honestly I really like the feel of the reds, and with blues, they're loud so I got O-rings which are a pain to put on, but worth it imo if you get a blue kb

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

I actually got a K70 with blues a few months back, and did a thing with a friend (who has a K70 with reds) where we are trading for awhile, and honestly I really like the feel of the reds, and with blues, they're loud so I got O-rings which are a pain to put on, but worth it imo if you get a blue kb

I got a k70 RGB with reds, I really like the reds, though would have liked it for them to require a little more force to press :/ (I accidentally press keys sometimes... but I'm getting better with that.)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I got a k70 RGB with reds, I really like the reds, though would have liked it for them to require a little more force to press :/ (I accidentally press keys sometimes... but I'm getting better with that.)

Yeah I noticed that as well but just like you, I'm getting used to it

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

So if I was looking for something that's a cross between a Black and a Red...Browns?

Cause I really liked the feel of Blacks when I tried today on the Mionix Zibal, but the Reds, yea I get where the mushiness comes from. 

So if I was looking for something that's a cross between a Black and a Red...Browns?

Cause I really liked the feel of Blacks when I tried today on the Mionix Zibal, but the Reds, yea I get where the mushiness comes from.

There isn't a cross between them. Black is the next logical step up :/ you can try Browns for sure though

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

There isn't a cross between them. Black is the next logical step up :/ you can try Browns for sure though

How do the Blacks and the Browns compare? 

Like for mostly gaming and some typing here and there, which is better? 

How do the Blacks and the Browns compare? 

Like for mostly gaming and some typing here and there, which is better? 

There's no "one is better for typing/gaming than the other" as that's completely subjective. You should try them out. If you have a Fry's nearby they have both switches on display in a couple keyboards and if you have a Best Buy they might have browns. You never know. You can take the quiz and see which one it thinks you'll be more keen to use but yeah.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

There's no "one is better for typing/gaming than the other" as that's completely subjective. You should try them out. If you have a Fry's nearby they have both switches on display in a couple keyboards and if you have a Best Buy they might have browns. You never know. You can take the quiz and see which one it thinks you'll be more keen to use but yeah.

They had blacks, but I don't think they had browns. I'll go take another look soon. Thanks  :)

• 1 month later...

I've always used membrane keyboards, which color switch will feel the most natural for me to use?

I've always used membrane keyboards, which color switch will feel the most natural for me to use?

Whichever one the quiz tells you. It's not a straightforward switch usually.

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, Prolapser said:

lacklustre guide, only mx switches and not any other kind.

Was also written over a year ago before this whole crazy wave of switches going every which way. Currently there are people that know more about this than I do, however I can't give editing access to just anybody on this forum (only mods can edit other people's posts) so I can't have, say @SurvivorNVLedit new info in there.

Cherry Mx reds are nice sounding not too loud pretty fast response times!

6 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Cherry is dead.  Long live the Gateron master-race.  

Care to explain what makes you think that?

19 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

Care to explain what makes you think that?

Gateron switches have so far as per the Blue and Clear batches I have been playing with - smoother, newer plastic, and fairly tight tolerances on their manufacturing.  Not a single inconsistency, and that has been the consensus on Geekhack.  Cherry switches feel plain ol' inferior to the Gaterons.  Both however feel worse than Topre, but I love the 68-key form-factor of the Magicforce 68-Key, and so I use the 35g Clear switch as my daily driver, and not willing to shell out $250+ on the HHKB Topre.  But, yes.  Gateron's and even KBT switches are superior to Cherry in feeling.  If Cherry were to update their molds, and use a little bit more lubrication - they could reclaim the crown, but as of now, they're no longer my go-to for mech's.  In order:  Topre, Buckling Spring, Gateron, KBT, Outemu, Cherry.  ALPS is my next to try switch and same for the analog WOOTING keyboard.  Logitech's G410 Romer-G switches aren't on the map after playing with it for more than a month.  Lost interest.

For reference I have tried every known Cherry switch.  From red's to linear and tactile grey's, and then super blacks. Super-Blacks are -not- bad, even with their ridiculous weighting.  It's the only switch I don't bottom out on, but it's the only one that kind of makes you -really- hurt in the wrist and fingers after ten minutes of typing.  Still, not bad.  Just.. -special-.

Edited by SurvivorNVL

25 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Gateron switches have so far as per the Blue and Clear batches I have been playing with - smoother, newer plastic, and fairly tight tolerances on their manufacturing.  Not a single inconsistency, and that has been the consensus on Geekhack.  Cherry switches feel plain ol' inferior to the Gaterons.  Both however feel worse than Topre, but I love the 68-key form-factor of the Magicforce 68-Key, and so I use the 35g Clear switch as my daily driver, and not willing to shell out $250+ on the HHKB Topre.  But, yes.  Gateron's and even KBT switches are superior to Cherry in feeling.  If Cherry were to update their molds, and use a little bit more lubrication - they could reclaim the crown, but as of now, they're no longer my go-to for mech's.  In order:  Topre, Buckling Spring, Gateron, KBT, Outemu, Cherry.  ALPS is my next to try switch and same for the analog WOOTING keyboard.  Logitech's G410 Romer-G switches aren't on the map after playing with it for more than a month.  Lost interest.

For reference I have tried every known Cherry switch.  From red's to linear and tactile grey's, and then super blacks. Super-Blacks are -not- bad, even with their ridiculous weighting.  It's the only switch I don't bottom out on, but it's the only one that kind of makes you -really- hurt in the wrist and fingers after ten minutes of typing.  Still, not bad.  Just.. -special-.

Well can't argue with "feels better" as that is an opinion. Is there any kind of switch tester kit for the types you mentioned? I would be interested in trying them out to see what I think of their feel. Also are they tactile?

Just now, Wolf_Lbh said:

Well can't argue with "feels better" as that is an opinion. Is there any kind of switch tester kit for the types you mentioned? I would be interested in trying them out to see what I think of their feel. Also are they tactile?

Gateron, KBT, and Outemu are for more tactile than Cherry in their tactile switches, but they're also smoother.  Newer plastic molds, of course, and they use a little more lube, with more on the Gateron's than others.  As for Topre, they're a conical spring beneath a spherical membrane layer, they're the best tactile switches next to Buckling Spring.  Buckling Spring is loud.  Topre has more of a pop and thock sound, no clicking, because spring + silicon membrane.  Gateron Clear's are 35g Linear switches and they're just.. the best things ever.  Not better than Topre and Buckling Spring, but they're so good they've become my daily-driver, go to for gaming, but not as much for typing.  I only manage 180wpm on these on average.  Topre I get 230-ish.

Daily driver's been my customized Unicomp for the past 2 years, still looks and feels brand new, but despite that I love buckling springs, I also like the lighter cherry Greens (tactile, clicky, heavier than blue), Clears, and Grays (both are quiet tactile, heavier than browns. Apart from less common keyboards such as WASD, It's somewhat difficult to find Grays, and my personal favorite Cherry MX switch, "Milky White." They're a bit heavier than blues, but have a slightly quieter, yet still audible, click with tactile feedback. After buying a couple of them to install on my Cherry switch tester, I've been hooked and can't wait to finally find a pre-build keyboard that sports them.

• 1 month later...

pls green is fine for gaming if you're stronk!! 

Also, finally declared green my fav switch. Tried all mx variants, topre, and even alps.... Greens always call me back :P

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

5 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

pls green is fine for gaming if you're stronk!! 

Also, finally declared green my fav switch. Tried all mx variants, topre, and even alps.... Greens always call me back :P

My only personal MX keyboard is one with Greens so I would have to say that I like them a lot as well!