Using my old 1200w PSU on a 400w system.

VelocitySpeed

Is that safe? or even a good idea? and would it use up more electricity since im going to only utilize 400 watts? i have an old 1200 watt cooler master PSU that i bought last year to mine LTC and it's just sitting here.. So i figured i'd just use it on my next gaming rig. It will be my first time assembling my own rig so im not knowledgeable enough about PSU stuff. Thanks for the inputs!

The wattage only indicates what it CAN deliver, not what it WILL deliver so it's 100% fine to use an overkill PSU.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Yes it's safe. It's a good idea if you just have it laying around. A PSU only pulls however many watts from the wall the system needs, not taking in account the PSU's efficiency,

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

It might run at a lower efficiency. But not draw more power.

That is exactly what it frikken means. Lower efficieny of the PSU = Higher powerdraw from the wall. 

You probably mean that it will not draw 1200 Watts which is true but it will draw more power than a PSU that has 800 Watts and the same 80+ rating would as PSUs generally hit their peak efficeny at 50%. 

That is exactly what it frikken means. Lower efficieny of the PSU = Higher powerdraw from the wall. 

You probably mean that it will not draw 1200 Watts which is true but it will draw more power than a PSU that has 800 Watts and the same 80+ rating would as PSUs generally hit their peak efficeny at 50%. 

I know what efficiency is. (I have to do calculations every day for engineering)

I meant that in general, it would not draw 1200W from the wall, just what the computer needs and what is needed to combat the friction/resistance of the components and wires. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Okay.. i've purchased all the other components and decided to use my old 1200 watt PSU. Thanks guys! good to confirm that my electric bill would not increase because of the PSU's enourmous capacity =)