Study Shows Ontario Middle Schoolers are Among the Best in Computer Literacy

Go...Canada

image.jpeg

A new international test shows Ontario students are among the most computer literate even though the province's schools generally put less priority on facilitating the use of technology than other participating countries.

Ontario students scored an average of 547 out of 600 in overall computer literacy, significantly above the international average of 500.

- CBC

The study was conducted on about 60,000 Grade 8 schools in 20 countries, Under The International Computer and Information Literacy Study,

applestore-2.jpg

Students had to perform basic tasks such as copying or saving a document, creating and modifying information and using multiple applications at once. They also had to answer a questionnaire, as did teachers, principals and technology co-ordinators.

The results show the province's efforts to integrate technology into the classroom have paid off. Because we've done that over the years, I think that our students are in fact more comfortable with its use in the learning process"

-   Bruce Rodrigues  CEO of the Education Quality and Accountability Office

CanadaFlagSunset.jpg

Damn i love this picture ..

The study looks at students' ability to collect, manage, produce and exchange information using a computer, as well as teachers' and principals' attitude and confidence regarding technology in the school setting.

Girls scored higher in overall computer literacy than boys, but boys reported being more confident performing advanced tasks such as creating a computer program or building a website.

It is believed to be the first international test of its kind.

"The reason that's important is that as we move into looking at some of the global competencies in innovation... students will need to be able to be nimble with the use of computers to compete in the global economy.

-  Bruce Rodrigues

The province is in a statistical tie for the top spot with Australia and the Czech Republic.

So there you go, Canadians yet again proving why they are even better than the rest of the world..Please do leave your thoughts & comments on this down beloooooooooooooo...

Bonus:

Linus seems waay too happy about diz :/

93ae9a543e4565b06a9722525a8ef42e.gif

Link:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-students-among-best-in-computer-literacy-study-shows-1.2841814

Details separate people.

Those skills count as computer literacy? WOW :P

Saving a document.....hardcore! xD

Lel! exactly what went through my mind :P , but it's a start..

Details separate people.

It's really hard to say "Canada" when only Ontario students were involved.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Wow. Taking a side effect of cabin fever and painting it as a something the Canadian education system is responsible for...

Oh god that gif of linus is horrible. Looks like the joker after meth... 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I'm about to post an image from the internet to a word document, wish me luck.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Reminds me of this post (fantastic read, don't dismiss it because it's long).

The things listed in the OP are not what I'd call "being computer literate" but not everyone has the same definition I guess. The only consolation is that 547 out of 600 is a ~91% accurate rate. That's what I would expect from a test with questions as simple as "how do you save a document". How can the rest of the world only get 83% right on that?

The things listed in the OP are not what I'd call "being computer literate" but not everyone has the same definition I guess. The only consolation is that 547 out of 600 is a ~91% accurate rate. That's what I would expect from a test with questions as simple as "how do you save a document". How can the rest of the world only get 83% right on that?

Not that reading a collection of encounters with techno twits isn't riveting, and how having to thanklessly sort out their issues for them can be infuriating (happens a fair amount to many people here I assume).

But I am now watching a "video of a kitten with its head in a toilet roll" both because it was the most eye opening thing mentioned on the blog(to me)...and it's effing awesome!

OMG? Are you kidding me?

I'm Canadian and go to university, and 80% students (up to high school) don't know what a PC really is, 80% of whom are girls. No offence but the only thing they know is how to log on to Facebook (probably).

Even at universities, around 50% of engineering students don't even know what's actually inside a PC. It's like they never really cared enough to learn; FREAKING CALCULATOR. People know more about iPhone than anything else.

Well, the rest of them are pretty genius.

If Ontario is among the best, I don't know what other places are doing, sucking on vibrators?

Let the truth be told, no offence.

post-17830-0-98555200-1416599538.jpg

While I can agree with a lot of the scenarios he described, I think he may have some personal issues with non digitally literate people. He went into attack mode on that woman based upon... well nothing. She may have been everything he said or she may have not. Good read though all the same. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

After seeing an image of a Mac I could no longer take this "study" seriously.

Anyways in my opinion tech competence should be judged by the following list: Ability to use BIOS (including OC and flashing), ability to actually build a computer using parts that the individual picked out themselves obviously knowing what each part will be mainly used for, ability to understand basic networking, ability to understand basic file structure and as a result being able to find save game files for any game without the need of google, ability to find hidden folders and files, being able to install and uninstall programs without getting viruses, being able to kill a virus without the need for an antivirus, being able use a VM, knowing what msconfig does and what they could use it for. There may be some that I missed but I believe that's the a much better list to test someone's overall tech competence than what that "study" did.

Jesus Christ the amount of snobby superiority complexes in this thread are almost unbearable.

What did you expect? That the average 13 year old is going to be able to tell you what BIOS and POST are?

Excuse me while I get all snobby that most of the people here probably couldn't recite the Modern Language Associations rules and guidelines for properly formatting a paper, despite the fact that its taught in all North American schools and other countries around the world.  :rolleyes:

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

It's funny because those are nowhere near huge parts of the computer.. Lets see if they can install an OS, overclock a GPU or CPU, and build a computer..

Me: "What's this?" *Shows a CPU*

Student: "Uhhh... OPTICAL DRIVE CD THING!"

Me:"..."

tumblr_mbcmdl61wk1rx8lgjo1_500.gif

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I saw the title and thought...

Course Middle schoolers are the target.... Teenagers already think they know everything

:)

Joking of course...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Now let's see them take apart a GTX 480 (without looking at a tutorial), replacing the thermal paste properly, and then putting it back together again.

And let's see them do half of the crap that I do on a daily basis.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Jesus Christ the amount of snobby superiority complexes in this thread are almost unbearable.

What did you expect? That the average 13 year old is going to be able to tell you what BIOS and POST are?

Excuse me while I get all snobby that most of the people here probably couldn't recite the Modern Language Associations rules and guidelines for properly formatting a paper, despite the fact that its taught in all North American schools and other countries around the world.  :rolleyes:

exactly what i was thinking, were talking about computer competency here, and, as already mentioned by @LAwLz , we have a very different definition than the rest of the world. The reality is more than the majority of the world is NOT going to have to install an OS, or update a BIOS, but they will NEED to be able to use basic programs and understand how communication works in terms of using a computer. Information is more accessible and more easily distributed than ever, so this is important shit! we can't have kids growing up, no matter where they live, without the proper tools to function in the world thats being created.

I find this study riveting. Growing up of course i noticed some people were not as interested in computer use as I was, but my school provided me so much and played a very big role in everything i know about computers today. It warms my heart to see countries stressing this as well. Of course it's not going to be anywhere near the level we expect it to be, but at least its happening.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Those skills count as computer literacy? WOW :P

Saving a document.....hardcore! xD

"Computer literacy is defined as the knowledge and ability to utilize computers and related technology efficiently, with a range of skills covering levels from elementary use to programming and advanced problem solving" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_literacy#cite_note-OTA84-1

Bear in mind, there are people who lack the basic computer skills. They would be referred to as "computer illiterate". 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

"Computer literacy is defined as the knowledge and ability to utilize computers and related technology efficiently, with a range of skills covering levels from elementary use to programming and advanced problem solving" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_literacy#cite_note-OTA84-1

Bear in mind, there are people who lack the basic computer skills. They would be referred to as "computer illiterate".

I guess they're computer literate, but I'm a techie. :P

After seeing an image of a Mac I could no longer take this "study" seriously.

Anyways in my opinion tech competence should be judged by the following list: Ability to use BIOS (including OC and flashing), ability to actually build a computer using parts that the individual picked out themselves obviously knowing what each part will be mainly used for, ability to understand basic networking, ability to understand basic file structure and as a result being able to find save game files for any game without the need of google, ability to find hidden folders and files, being able to install and uninstall programs without getting viruses, being able to kill a virus without the need for an antivirus, being able use a VM, knowing what msconfig does and what they could use it for. There may be some that I missed but I believe that's the a much better list to test someone's overall tech competence than what that "study" did.

W...whh... what? Are you fucking kidding me? You've just described a Tech Enthusiast... well done. Pat yourself on the back.

The average person HAS LITERALLY NO NEED TO KNOW MOST OF THAT STUFF. Does the average person know how to change car breaks? No. Should they? No. People specialize in modern society. It's how our world still functions. Everyone has basic knowledge in certain areas, but we cannot expect everyone to become experts in everything.

Computer literacy is not knowing complex or higher forms of computing. It's knowing and being confident with the basics. The basics include using Windows and/or Mac OS X, copying and pasting documents, knowing how to browse the web and do searches, knowing how to multitask, etc.

NOT KNOWING HOW TO OVERCLOCK! What in gods name would a normal average person do with overclocking knowledge, when odds are they don't even have an OC capable CPU?

Holy crap, I agree with you @RH00D so much... The level of arrogance and shit-attitude in this thread is staggering... What ever happened to the idea that LTT was a great community that is noob friendly?

This thread makes me angry. Frankly, if everyone knew these things, then most of us would be out of a job! I don't know jack shit about car mechanics, so I take my car to a shop. Same goes with regular people and computers.

exactly what i was thinking, were talking about computer competency here, and, as already mentioned by @LAwLz , we have a very different definition than the rest of the world. The reality is more than the majority of the world is NOT going to have to install an OS, or update a BIOS, but they will NEED to be able to use basic programs and understand how communication works in terms of using a computer. Information is more accessible and more easily distributed than ever, so this is important shit! we can't have kids growing up, no matter where they live, without the proper tools to function in the world thats being created.

I find this study riveting. Growing up of course i noticed some people were not as interested in computer use as I was, but my school provided me so much and played a very big role in everything i know about computers today. It warms my heart to see countries stressing this as well. Of course it's not going to be anywhere near the level we expect it to be, but at least its happening.

It's extremely important to have these skills for an increasingly digital economy.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

"Computer literacy is defined as the knowledge and ability to utilize computers and related technology efficiently, with a range of skills covering levels from elementary use to programming and advanced problem solving" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_literacy#cite_note-OTA84-1

I guess they're computer literate, but I'm a techie. :P

W...whh... what? Are you fucking kidding me? You've just described a Tech Enthusiast... well done. Pat yourself on the back.

The average person HAS LITERALLY NO NEED TO KNOW MOST OF THAT STUFF. Does the average person know how to change car breaks? No. Should they? No. People specialize in modern society. It's how our world still functions. Everyone has basic knowledge in certain areas, but we cannot expect everyone to become experts in everything.

Computer literacy is not knowing complex or higher forms of computing. It's knowing and being confident with the basics. The basics include using Windows and/or Mac OS X, copying and pasting documents, knowing how to browse the web and do searches, knowing how to multitask, etc.

NOT KNOWING HOW TO OVERCLOCK! What in gods name would a normal average person do with overclocking knowledge, when odds are they don't even have an OC capable CPU?

What I was going for was a spectrum where people can be more or less tech competent. Tech enthusiasts are obviously the most tech competent and there should be an option for being that level of tech competence. I also listed off stuff that an AVERAGE person SHOULD know to use a computer. (ie: file structures, installing/uninstalling stuff, avoiding viruses, etc.) I would expect most people to not pass that test but as long as they don't get a zero they will demonstrate a level of tech competence. I was going for a test that demonstrates tech competence in a way where it can be plotted on a spectrum not a test that either shows tech competence or not. I hate tests that end up treating a person as though they either know everything or know nothing. As though there was no middle ground.