WIFI (wireless) Extender vs Access Point vs Sonos?

Sorry if this has been discussed here or part of a LTT show but I couldn't find info on either in my brief effort to look.

I have a 3 story townhome and the main internet setup, wifi, Sonos bridge, modem, computer, etc., are all down in the basement mancave.  Sometimes our bedroom or top floor has a weaker signal so I bought a WIFI extender (Netgear) that was highly rated but when I set it up on the middle level as "extender" and not Access Point, it seems to boost the signal throughout the house but then it blocks or messes up my SONOS bridge and the SONOS system can't stay connected to the streaming music services like Pandora.

Just wondering if anyone else was having this issue with a separate stand alone network being inturrepted by your WIFI Extender and what you did to fix it.  I went to the Netgear site, the SONOS site, and really didn't get any good information.  One piece of advice is to make it an Access Point instead but doesn't that mean I'd have to have the Modem on that level to access the Extender?  I'm pretty good with computers but lacking knowledge as I age when it comes to the new stuff like advanced networks and the different types, channels, and multiple ones (like adding SONOS - which was very easy but how do I get it to not be blocked by the extender?).

If you guys at LTT haven't done a show topic on Extender vs Access Point that would be a really good one.

Thanks,

~Jer

Hi, I am not the best guy to answer your question but my setup is a bit similar but I am using a Range Extender from Amped Wireless (SR300) and everything work perfectly you can check their website here: http://www.ampedwireless.com/

Guillaume

GML Info