AMD's Hawaii Is Officially The Most Efficient GPGPU In The World To Date, Tops Green500 List

Perhaps many of you are familiar with Hawaii, the venerable GPU powering the fastest graphics card in the world the R9 295X2 along with AMD's enthusiast R9 290x and R9 290 offerings.

So it may come as a shock to you to hear that this GPU is in fact the most power efficient General Purpose GPU in the world to date.

GSI Helmholtz Center's latest super computer the L-CSC is the first ever to break the 5 gigaflops/watt barrier. Powered by AMD's FirePro S9150 accelerator based on the Hawaii GPU, L-CSC has earned the #1 spot in the latest Green500 list of the most power efficient supercomputers in the world.

banner1_0.jpg

A new supercomputer, L-CSC from the GSI Helmholtz Center, emerged as the most energy-efficient (or greenest) supercomputer in the world, according to the 16th edition of the twice-yearly Green500 list of the world’s most energy-efficient supercomputers. The L-CSC cluster was the first and only supercomputer on the list to surpass 5 gigaflops/watt (billions of operations per second per watt). It was powered by Intel Ivy Bridge CPUs and a FDR Infiniband network and accelerated by AMD FirePro™ S9150 GPUs.

The previous #1 spot holder the TSUBAME-KFC powered by Intel Ivy Bridge CPUs and Nvidia K20 GPU accelerators fell into third position. Capable of 4.4 gigaflops/watt, compared to the AMD powered L-CSC which is capable of 5.27 gigaflops/watt.

Source

AMD is proud to be recognized as the world's leader for energy efficient GPU computing by reaching the top spot on the Green500 List,

said David Cummings, senior director and general manager, professional graphics, AMD.

This unique position can only be achieved through sustained innovation at the leading edge of the computing world and processor and system design. AMD offers HPC GPU compute customers a full AMD FirePro S-series line up from entry-level to ultra-high-end boards supporting a feature-rich software ecosystem.

Supercomputers are inevitable in today's research. The scientific challenges require computers as fast as possible, but we have to keep power consumption and costs in mind, in order to use our available resources as well as possible,

said Professor Dr. Volker Lindenstruth, professor at Goethe University of Frankfurt, head of IT department of GSI, and chairman of Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies.

We're excited to reach the number one position in the Green500 List with the new L-CSC supercomputer and we thank AMD and ASUS for the excellent cooperation. The L-CSC supercomputer at the GSI research facility featuring ASUS ESC4000 G2S servers and AMD FirePro GPUs provides the huge compute capabilities required for our research.

Source #2

hey guys house burnt down due to how efficient this card is. Considering how much heat hawaii shits out this is surprising. 

Hell_Girl_Jigoku_Shoujo_Ai_Enma_Episode_

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Then why is the r9 290 so warm, I'm lost.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Is this a hint that the R9 3xx series will be very efficient, cheap, and powerful? Either way, this is quite impressive. :D

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Did not expect that.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

AMD and most efficient... Two things I never thought I'd see in the same sentence.

AMD and most efficient... Two words I never thought I'd see in the same sentence.

That's three words brah. Or are you not counting AMD as a word? 

AMD and most efficient... Two words I never thought I'd see in the same sentence.

Every company has to improve in something eventually. It just happened AMD realized that their last GPUs had shitty efficiency making reference GPUs unable to keep them cool.

That's three words btw. :P

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Is this a hint that the R9 3xx series will be very efficient, cheap, and powerful? Either way, this is quite impressive. :D

No, definitely not.

It's AMD. They do whatever they can to deliver more performance over better heat and power efficiency.

Since most people who game care more about performance than less noise, heat, and power consumption AMD just crams more cores into their GPUs for performance rather than bothering to optimize anything.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

odd i thought only the GCN 1.2 based cards were efficient

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

But how will people heat their houses if the 3xx series won't be nearly on fire?

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

It isn't surprising, considering AMD has maintained a significant lead with GCN over Nvidia's Kepler and Maxwell in compute performance, especially compute per watt.
And supercomputers are all about compute.

Because it's got the POWA

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

No, definitely not.

It's AMD. They do whatever they can to deliver more performance over better heat and power efficiency.

Since most people who game care more about performance than less noise, heat, and power consumption AMD just crams more cores into their GPUs for performance rather than bothering to optimize anything.

In the long run, how is that going to work though? Will we need LN2 at some point?

Every company has to improve in something eventually. It just happened AMD realized that their last GPUs had shitty efficiency making reference GPUs unable to keep them cool.

That's three words btw. :P

Hawaii IS one of AMD's last GPUs. It just so happens to be extraordinarily more efficient than any other GPU on the planet in compute performance.

While Maxwell might be very efficient running games, the latest GM204 GPU powering the GTX 980 and 970 has very limited compute double precision performance.

In fact it's even slower than an R9 270 at double precision floating point calculations, which is what supercomputers rely almost entirely on.

Nvidia sacrificed compute to improve gaming power efficiency, it's really that simple.

In the long run, how is that going to work though? Will we need LN2 at some point?

No, but first they wil probably start implementing an AiO on all their GPUs, and eventually move to thermoelectric or phase change cooling :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It's all about compute performance/watt.

AMD simply wins in that regard.

Having said that, when we start seeing Maxwell Tesla cards, I'm expecting Nvidia to push right back ahead

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Let's keep the discussion off of the "AMD is a heater" bashing, and on the topic of the supercomputer.

Green supercomputing is a good thing. For a long time most super computers were using the highest-end components that made sense, and semiconductor manufacturers were pushing for a much performace as possible with little regard to power consumption.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

More then half of the people in this thread are complaining about heat. I mean come on seriously how educated are people on here if they think TDP equates to Power Consumption.

The article isn't about how hot they run. It's about how efficient GCN is in terms of performance per watt.

One of the largest screen in the states (8 stories tall, an entire city block wide) is in NY City Times Square and it's powered by three FirePro W9000.

Hawaii  reference cards were hot because they had a shitty cooler. Anything will run hot with a shitty cooler. Power consumption wasn't really that bad, it's just that the chip was relatively small in die area, and then you had a shitty cooler...therefore your hot temps. Aftermarket cards fixed that though, and the R9 295x2 had a very effective reference cooling solution.

Oh lawd what will Jen say to their fanbase in the next live event?

Meh... He will probably just flash a new tattoo in the chest - it's all good.