do you really need a sound card ?

joshuktech

i am a media producer and i do alot of editing on my windows machine which is pretty good on specs and renders videos pretty good but my audio can be better since i have to edit my audio on my mac so i was think do i need a good sound card for audio editing since even on my mac i have to use a good set of cans 

EDIT: I know it is for gaming audio but it may have some good stuff to say about just all audio on your computer.

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

I have one and compared to my onboard I have no hiss when it's just powered on but not doing anything and the mic has gotten heaps cleared, again no hiss when not saying anything. The emulated surround I have from this sound card in particular works perfectly (not distorting skype or anything).

I can recommend this oen

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I call BS that a sound card is a waste. Mine has improved quality and reduced hiss dramatically

Edit: Also one of the main complaints on the hyperx cloud mic was a hissing mic but mine now has 0 hiss whereas onboard had lots of it

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

You don't need a sound card in most situations, typically if you get a higher end mobo it will have good built-in audio.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

For your needs I would say you want a DAC and a decent pair of headphones. If you want a mic just add a modmic to it and you should be set.

Example:

Audioengine D1, ATH M50's

Only example but thats an interface I know that works on mac's.

With normal headphones (nothing special) the onboard will be fine, esp the newer boards with headphone amps and better quality than previous onboard solutions.

However for better gear, a DAC and such would be ideal.

^Limited knowledge input.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Chances are you don't need a sound card, as most mobos have excellent built in audio. If this is not your case, then yes, get a sound card. But if the sound your computer produces is already good, then any change the sound card tries to do to it will likely just make it worse.

By the way, sound quality will be worse if you plug your headphones into a front audio connector of a pc instead of its back.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

In most cases no but in certain scenarios like there being interference of audio getting a cheapo sound card of reasonable quality will fix that. For audiophile grade headphones a Dac+Amp would be prefered. *Keep in mind this is based on what i read in the internet*

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

I think some mentioned this, but I had a sound card (decent one) and all I really used was headphones. I could not notice anything substantially different with just a pair of headphones compared to onboard. The one benefit I got was loudness, but no difference in sound quality in my opinion.

---------- Alex ----------

Computer Science & Mathematics

// CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHzGPU: GTX 770Motherboard: MSI MPOWEROS: Manjaro Linux & Win 7  | Case: Vegeance C70 | XSPC Raystorm 750 //

i am a media producer and i do alot of editing on my windows machine which is pretty good on specs and renders videos pretty good but my audio can be better since i have to edit my audio on my mac so i was think do i need a good sound card for audio editing since even on my mac i have to use a good set of cans 

Getting a DAC+amp combo like Schiit MODI&MAGNI can make your editing life easier if you own a studio speaker or headphone that is..and yes a good dac+amp(soundcard) does provide better audioquality than MAC,if you want to make it worse go for Asus or creative usb soundcards..just kidding:)

Most motherboard audio is equivalent to soundcards, they're somewhat redundant for most headphones when in a desktop environment and the cost of the higher tier sound cards could instead be put toward an Amp / Dac which will give, normally, better audio quality, reproduction, little interference, cleaner sound, and sometimes even be portable.  So, mobo audio is mostly okay, but headphones should have proper amping and a dac, but not a soundcard, by my opinion - instead it'd be best to invest in something like an Objective 2, which would likely be the only amp / dac(I mention the combo) you'd ever need.  What cans are you using, though?