Noctua fan confussion in combination with a NZXT X60

Nomy
Go to solution Solved by Faceman,

I don't have the CAM software, that piece of software was only released with the X61 model, I own the previous model.

What you're saying sounds like a plan though one question which might seem stupid, doesn't the pump need the software to work accordingly? Or does the pump work independent at a constant speed?

I looked at the industrial line but they're really loud compared to the normal noctuas.

All the pump needs is power. Plug it in via motherboard or psu/molex and you're good to go.

That sucks about the industrial line.. their SP performance is incredible. I guess go for the non-industrial PWM models then.

Ok so before the police squad arrives and throws me in jail with the usual "look on the internet or other posts", I've read numerous topics and whatever else I could find about this on the internet but they didn't help me out.

The problem is.... one says A the other says B. I myself don't know the answer so I'd love it if someone on the forum here could explain why A or B would be better.

I own the NZXT X60, not pleased with the stock fans, simply too loud. So decided to replace them with some noctua fans.

So my choice is between the following 2:

Noctua NF-A14 FLX

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=52&lng=en&set=1

Noctua NF-A14 PWM

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=65&lng=en&set=1

Noctua's own website has the following written in both fans description: "...make it ideal for use on watercooling radiators or as an upgrade for 140mm case fans"

As I can't regulate the fan rpm of the X60 besides the 3 profiles it has, you can't reduce the fan speed lower than 25% of 3000(10% margin error) which equals a min. of 800-900 rpm.

So the NZXT software controls the fan on it's own by the preset profile, am I right in assuming that the NZXT software can't regulate the FLX noctua fan considering it misses that 4th pin which the PWM has?

I myself am more inclined to buy the PWM fan so the software can control it but the people from the store claim otherwhise which is why I've come to the forum with this ridiculous question.

I'd appreciate some light on this, thank you in advance.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

You can always attach the fans to a fan header on the motherboard and regulate them that way, if you like. Does your motherboard have reasonable fan profile options in its BIOS? That said, I see no reason why the thing would support one PWM fan but not another. Not sure if it can do voltage control though.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Get the PWM NF-A14's, plug em in CPU_OPT and presto. Control em without any dumb profiles or based on the CPU temp (provided that your motherboard is capable of this of course).

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

You can always attach the fans to a fan header on the motherboard and regulate them that way, if you like. Does your motherboard have reasonable fan profile options in its BIOS? That said, I see no reason why the thing would support one PWM fan but not another. Not sure if it can do voltage control though.

My motherboard has enough fan profiles though I'm not sure if the nzxt software would work if it doesn't detect fans which in turn might screw up the pump speed? I'm just guessing here, I have no concrete evidence.

That's what I was wondering if I could apply the voltage control cables which are provided with noctua fans on the radiator.

May I assume you'd go for the PWM fan instead of the FLX fan?

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

The first thing you need to do is uninstall CAM software. Set the desired LED color then uninstall. It's a waste of time trying to control anything through that. Use your motherboard, Fan Xpert to control everything.

Get the PWM models. They have higher status pressure which is.necessary for better performance. Also look into the industrial line, even higher SP rating.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

The first thing you need to do is uninstall CAM software. Set the desired LED color then uninstall. It's a waste of time trying to control anything through that. Use your motherboard, Fan Xpert to control everything.

Get the PWM models. They have higher status pressure which is.necessary for better performance. Also look into the industrial line, even higher SP rating.

I don't have the CAM software, that piece of software was only released with the X61 model, I own the previous model.

What you're saying sounds like a plan though one question which might seem stupid, doesn't the pump need the software to work accordingly? Or does the pump work independent at a constant speed?

I looked at the industrial line but they're really loud compared to the normal noctuas.

All the pump needs is power. Plug it in via motherboard or psu/molex and you're good to go.

That sucks about the industrial line.. their SP performance is incredible. I guess go for the non-industrial PWM models then.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Thank you very much for the advice, I'll be purchasing the PWM models then and try it out.

But be aware, I shall haunt you and your pets forever if the thing ain't pumping after I remove anything software-related to it, I'll be like Casper the Ghost shouting gimme back my software meanie! :D