Corsair K70 RGB, Cherry MX Brown switches review

So I got this keyboard recently and it replaces my red switch K95 now.

I accidently ordered the brown switches, thought I was getting the red ones, but that doesn't matter as brown is like a blue and red switches mix, which is great.

This review was saved by a tip of @Tech_Dreamer because I hit the back button while writing and he pointed out of the Auto-Save feature.

Build quality

I have had 2 Corsair keyboards before, the K90 and the K95, and thus I am used to the insane build quality of the keyboards, the brushed aluminium really makes it a tank, I quote somebody on the internet about it:

' I could bash a burglars head in with the keyboard and type the report about it to the police with it afterwards'

There is nothing more to say, the thing won't bend or break.

The build quality is nice of the wrist rest as well, robust and sturdy, with a good grip thanks to those dimples.

CGK70RGB_16_575px.JPG

Logo

U wot m8 shit logo 1/100

But no really, I don't mind the logo, I would rather have the old logo but it's not like this is a deal breaker for me, I could pull the logo off my old K95 and mod it but then I would not be able to sell it anymore.

The logo itself does feel nice like the old one, it stands out and is made of some sort of metal/plastic (?) and it feels nice if you slide your finger over it.

Keyswitches

I only ever had Cherry MX red switches before so now I am trying the brown ones.

They seem to require a little bit more force to make the keys register but not much more, it is maybe noticeable to the trained typist, I do notice it.

They click very nicely and make a nice sound, good switches for typing and for gaming in my opinion

Layout

The K70 RGB has all the usual keyboard keys (QWERTY). It does not have the 18 G keys like the K95 (which I never in my life used anyway)

It has a button on the top right of the keyboard to manage brightness of the LED's, 33%, 66% and 100%. Next (right of the key) to that is a Windows lock key button, to prevent you from tabbing out by accidently pressing the Windows key while gaming. (never had this problem last few years anway).

Next to that key even more are the 3 Lockbutton indicators, numlock, capslock and scroll lock.

Then next to those indicators come the Mute button and the volume wheel. The volume wheel has a nice texture to it, also made of metal.

Under the mute button and volume wheel are the media keys, Stop, fast backward (?) pause and fast forward.

At the top of the keyboard where the brightness, windows lock, indicators, mute button and volume wheel are placed is a raised part, this part is raised from the rest of the keyboard.

In the middle of the raised part is where the logo is found.

corsair_gaming_k70_rgb_multimedia_keys.j

Height and shape of the keys

Honestly I Ilke the raised keys, this is like night and day between chiclet keyboards. My friend had to get used to it when he got his K70 (normal one) but he liked it after a while too. It also makes it easier to pull of the keys for cleaning.

The keys have a sort of slight curve inwards, this makes hitting the keys a lot more comfortable as it is more in tune to the shape of your fingertips.

RGB LED'S

Probably the main reason to buy this keyboard: the 16,8 million color LED's under the keys.

The colors themselves are plenty bright for my taste, some Youtubers have said it could be better but honestly it's just fine.

The colors look great and thus make any patterns look straight up amazing.

The LED's are directly under the keycaps this time, around the Cherry MX switch. They are translucent/white.

Even the media keys and the brightness and Windows lock buttons have the LED's under them. Nice touch.

cherry_mx_red_rgb_switches.png?itok=XXgC

RGB Software

Okay, this is the part that everyone hates.

The manual to figure out how to deal with the software and the software itself can be downloaded on the Corsair website itself.

The manual is 130 pages long! (however, Youtube tutorials do exist)

I myself have tried for a bit but found it too cumbersome. Luckily some people have done it and are making patterns called Profiles, which they can share and others can download.

You can import Profiles from those people, it's namely in the Corsair forums where this takes place and I am thankful those people have made it.

You can basically customize every key to an insane degree, macro's, their actions, bind a color pattern to a specific game or program, specific color patterns on key press (even certain keys if you so wish)

There are more things you can customize but I am not going to rattle them off here

Wrist rest

It's the usual wrist rest you get with Corsair mechanical keyboards, however on the K70 series they have plastic 'hooks' which attach it to the keyboard while the K90 and K95 series have metal bolts which attach it to the keyboard by the sides. (Probably because it's a longer keyboard, thanks to the G key section)

The wrist rest has a nice grip on it and has dimples in it for extra grip, I must say it can also hold quite a bit of weight, often times I just lean my arm on it and it handles it without a sweat.

Other

- The keyboard does not have a USB passthrough like the normal K70, this is because -while it still requires 2 USB ports- the second cable actually needs the power for the LED's.

- The cable itself has 2 USB cable attached to 1 cable, the cables are nice and thick because they are braided, they are extremely sturdy, just like the keyboard.

- You obviously have stand offs in the keyboard on the bottom on the left and right top sides, however, this keyboard also has 2 standoffs on the lower bottom sides, so it is entirely raised if you want to.

- The sticker with the info on it on the bottom DOES have the old Corsair logo printed on it, WAT@!!!324@

If I want an RGB keyboard I'm going to wait until Cherry makes them available to all keyboard manufacturers.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

If I want an RGB keyboard I'm going to wait until Cherry makes them available to all keyboard manufacturers.

I bought the k95 rg because I would have anyway. the rgb is just a bit more.

Oh question actually... Would you say this keyboard is loud? Like compared to a membrane keyboard how much quieter or louder is it? I returned my Razer Blackwidow with blue switches because the blues were a bit too loud for me and when I bottomed out it was very loud. I know browns are quieter anyway, but overall what would you rate it when it comes to sound then? (So mainly compared to a membrane keyboard xD)

Oh question actually... Would you say this keyboard is loud? Like compared to a membrane keyboard how much quieter or louder is it? I returned my Razer Blackwidow with blue switches because the blues were a bit too loud for me and when I bottomed out it was very loud. I know browns are quieter anyway, but overall what would you rate it when it comes to sound then? (So mainly compared to a membrane keyboard xD)

Well Basically I would rate it a bit louder than Reds.

Don't know about membrane, haven't used it in a a long time.

I have a K65 and it's all good for me except for the fact that you need some time to get used to the extensive software. I really like gaming on my MX Reds, and it has a good feel to it.

Yeah, the software is a bit of a downside, but I have chosen not to waste time on it and download profiles.

I ordered the old K70 with the red LEDs (blue MX), I read a lot of complaints with the new software + very bad blue switches.

Thanks for the review

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." - Bill Shankly