Adding a subwoofer to active/powered speakers?

noc

Hello everyone!

I currently have a set of Microlab Solo7c active speakers (Link below) hooked up to my TV (using the 3.5mm output), and they have been very good, however, lately I have been wanting a bit more base.

So, my two question are;

1. Is it possible to add an active/powered subwoofer to active speakers?

2. If so, how would I control volume or interact with the speakers and subwoofer using one remote? Currenly I'm just using the remote that comes with the Microlab speakers, and that has worked out just fine, but if there's an easier way to control everything, I'm willing to give it a go.

Thanks in advance for any help with this topic!

Microlab Solo7c -

http://www.microlab.com/?r=Stereosystemen&st=full&id=225

If there is 3.5/rca output (for headphones will do the job) from speaker than it could be done on nice way by just connecting active/passive+amp woofer with that. Other way is to use Y adapter from TV so you can connect both in tv but you wont have control with that remote. 

If there is 3.5/rca output (for headphones will do the job) from speaker than it could be done on nice way by just connecting active/passive+amp woofer with that. Other way is to use Y adapter from TV so you can connect both in tv but you wont have control with that remote. 

Thanks for the reply. Yes, currently I have an RCA>3.5mm going from the speakers to the TV. So would I connect the speakers to the active subwoofer, and then connect the subwoofer to the TV? Would I still be able to use the remote for the speakers to control the volume?

Not at all.

What options do I have though? Is there some device that I can plug the sub and speakers and TV in, to control the volume for those decives? I guess I'm talking about a receiver, but I'm not sure if that's what I need for the setup to work.

What options do I have though? Is there some device that I can plug the sub and speakers and TV in, to control the volume for those decives? I guess I'm talking about a receiver, but I'm not sure if that's what I need for the setup to work.

When I looked for your speakers it turned out you cant use remote as it doesn't have low level output. You could use some pre-amp with Y adapter.

When I looked for your speakers it turned out you cant use remote as it doesn't have low level output. You could use some pre-amp with Y adapter.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into some pre-amps, maybe that's the way to go. I have thought of just getting a receiver to run them, but then I read somewhere that you need a reveiver with pre-amp outputs (or something like that) at the back. I'm not very good with sound stuff, so I'm not sure I'll go down that track (may be overkill for what I need)

Only way to do it nicely is if they're plugged into a TV that can control the volume of it's output(s) via remote, or like you said an AVR. If they're plugged into a PC, you could try getting a PC remote, tweaking the volumes of the speakers and sub until they're right and then just adjusting windows volume.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into some pre-amps, maybe that's the way to go. I have thought of just getting a receiver to run them, but then I read somewhere that you need a reveiver with pre-amp outputs (or something like that) at the back. I'm not very good with sound stuff, so I'm not sure I'll go down that track (may be overkill for what I need)

Receivers usually have built in power amp so you could power speakers with them. Try to look for those which have that "pre-out"

Receivers usually have built in power amp so you could power speakers with them. Try to look for those which have that "pre-out"

I see. Ok, I'll do a bit of research on the receivers then, maybe that's the way to go.

Thanks for your help guys!