Samsung Announces Five New 4K Monitors To Be Released 2015 - All Of Them Support FreeSync

LAwLz

IPS is in fact an LG display panel technology. They invented it. Other makers could buy IPS panels from LG and integrate them in any number of monitors they like.
But it is in fact an LG technology.

Samsung and AMD keep getting closer and closer.

Boy that is so true.

Starting from the GloFo 14nm process sync now display.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

IPS is in fact an LG display panel technology. They invented it. Other makers could buy IPS panels from LG and integrate them in any number of monitors they like.

But it is in fact an LG technology.

The original IPS was created by Hitachi. IPS in itself wasn't invented by LG, but they did develop the technology a lot into what it is today, and they own almost all the patents relating to modern implementations of IPS. Budget-friendly eIPS, the newer AH-IPS, IPS with RTC to improve response times (compared to older 50-60ms IPS panels)... All of these technologies are patented and owned by LG. There is nothing stopping anyone else from making an "IPS" panel of their own but it would be complete shit because they wouldn't be able to use any of the modern improvements that LG brought to the table over the last decade unless they could work out a license with LG. So now we have PLS from Samsung and AHVA from AU Optronics, etc. which are not exactly the same, but very similar, in order to offer their own modern implementations of IPS and keep up with LG without having to license anything from them, while (narrowly) avoiding patent wars.

@dalekphalm

IPS is an LG tech, so only LG panels can be IPS. Samsungs will probably be some sort of VA tech, PVA and/or VA, or something similar, I would guess.

samsung uses PLS

I wouldn't mind seeing a full partnership... a galaxy tablet with a low voltage AMD APU? yes please.

This is what NVidia gets for patent trolling :lol:

Please stop with that. Nvidia is not patent trolling. Do yourself a favor and Google what patent trolling is.

AMD leading the way. Glad I bought my R9 290. However, I'm not sure about the Asus VG248QE. Though, it is a great monitor. Perhaps I should have waited until 2015?

Waiting for 4K IPS panel @ 144hz!

dude. You'll be waiting 10 years.

Indeed @BloodySinner IPS Display Technology may never reach the point where it can reliably achieve 144 Hz. You're probably better off waiting for OLED or that new AHVA tech from AU Optronics.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Please stop with that. Nvidia is not patent trolling. Do yourself a favor and Google what patent trolling is.

I think you and bogus have gone in length with that in another post.

Also have a read: http://semiaccurate.com/2014/09/04/nvidia-sues-samsung-qualcomm-like-semiaccurate-said/

This is the only explanation to Samsung's sudden hop onto FreeSync.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

What'll be funny is that they'll be around $2500...

When the 5K iMac is the same price.

Indeed @BloodySinner IPS Display Technology may never reach the point where it can reliably achieve 144 Hz. You're probably better off waiting for OLED or that new AHVA tech from AU Optronics.

I wasn't being serious. :P  Though, I do hope it becomes reality at some point.

are there any compromising choosing free sync over gsync? obviously freesync is free, so im guessing it wont be as "powerful" as g-sync?

Lost consumer alert/idiot fanboyism kicking in!!...

Joking, but no. G-sync is expensive because they have an 'in-house built processor for the panel to relay frames' attached to the back of the monitor. Freesync (a.k.a. Adaptive Sync Technology) kind of already existed in a rudimentary form on laptops (to save power or something?.. it's been a while). They both do essentially the same thing but until we actually see a Freesync panel you can't 100% determine if one or the other is better.

NVidia was just the ones who were too dumb to realize the tech existed in a different form and then made proprietary bullshit for the end-user to deal with. The cost is insane, the requirements are simply dumb, but the tech is very, very cool so you can see why people want these monitors even if NVidia is scumming out hardcore right now. AMD's solution should be more than adequate for what it is, perhaps even beyond comparable to G-sync.

The only reason you should worry about getting whichever is if NVidia does not support Freesync on NVidia GPUs or future G-sync panels, or if GPUs suddenly started shifting entirely to one side or the other in terms of gaming performance. The best thing about Freesync is how fucking available it is (as in how much easier it is to implement; far more limitless). NVidia could barely rush out their 1440p panel fast enough and it took just a couple months later to get multiple 2160p panels ready on the other side.

Lost consumer alert/idiot fanboyism kicking in!!...

Joking, but no. G-sync is expensive because they have an 'in-house built processor for the panel to relay frames' attached to the back of the monitor. Freesync (a.k.a. Adaptive Sync Technology) kind of already existed in a rudimentary form on laptops (to save power or something?.. it's been a while). They both do essentially the same thing but until we actually see a Freesync panel you can't 100% determine if one or the other is better.

NVidia was just the ones who were too dumb to realize the tech existed in a different form and then made proprietary bullshit for the end-user to deal with. The cost is insane, the requirements are simply dumb, but the tech is very, very cool so you can see why people want these monitors even if NVidia is scumming out hardcore right now. AMD's solution should be more than adequate for what it is, perhaps even beyond comparable to G-sync.

The only reason you should worry about getting whichever is if NVidia does not support Freesync on NVidia GPUs or future G-sync panels, or if GPUs suddenly started shifting entirely to one side or the other in terms of gaming performance. The best thing about Freesync is how fucking available it is (as in how much easier it is to implement; far more limitless). NVidia could barely rush out their 1440p panel fast enough and it took just a couple months later to get multiple 2160p panels ready on the other side.

I agree with 99% of your post, but the only addendum I would make is this:

I pretty much guarantee that NVIDIA knew you could do a G-Sync type solution via what has now become Adaptive-Sync.

However, that wouldn't be proprietary. NVIDIA loves proprietary. They also love money. So they created G-Sync specifically so that only THEY could make the modules. That way they get a nice healthy license fee every time one is made, and they get to control every aspect of it.

I do believe that sooner or later, NVIDIA will adopt support for Adaptive-Sync, and still use it under the "G-Sync" brand name. But I think that first, they will milk G-Sync monitors for as long as possible.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I do believe that sooner or later, NVIDIA will adopt support for Adaptive-Sync, and still use it under the "G-Sync" brand name. But I think that first, they will milk G-Sync monitors for as long as possible.

That's what I hope will happen. I hope Adaptive-Sync becomes really really popular with the monitor manufacturers and everyone starts using it. Then we get AMD branding it as "FreeSync" on their stuff, and we get Nvidia branding it as G-Sync on their stuff even though both are the same. It might also end up being that G-Sync has some special requirements such as "it has to also support LightBoost" or something, kind of like how you need to have at least x8 x8 PCIe to be allowed to use SLI. But with the monitors they probably wouldn't disable it altogether like on motherboards, just that monitor manufacturers aren't allowed to call it "G-Sync" unless it is X amount of good.

I don't want to have to buy monitor X because I have graphics card Y. That's terrible for consumers.

I don't want to have to buy monitor X because I have graphics card Y. That's terrible for consumers.

That's why it's a shame NVIDIA is cornering the people who bought the 970 and 980 - if you take into account the life cycle of high end GPUs, to have them limited to DisplayPort 1.2 is pretty much a awefull thing to do - they are basicly saying "if you want any kind of dynamic refresh rate, either now or in the future, you will have to use G-Sync".

And they knew DP1.2a was going to be required for the standard adaptive sync a long time ago.

AMD cards have 1.2a already?

Yes the R9 290, R9 290X, R9 285, the R7 260, R7 260X, I think that even the ?7790? has it (someone correct me if im wrong). So for more then one year now AMD has been supporting DP1.2a.

I think you and bogus have gone in length with that in another post.

Also have a read: http://semiaccurate.com/2014/09/04/nvidia-sues-samsung-qualcomm-like-semiaccurate-said/

This is the only explanation to Samsung's sudden hop onto FreeSync.

Uh? Gsync came much earlier out. Also Samsung actually never used Nvidia's own things like 3D vision, their 3D monitors don't support 3D on Nvidia GPU's so why would they support Gsync now? My S27A750D 3D mode doesn't work with nvidia gpu's.

I'm looking forward to an Adaptive Sync 21:9 UHD displays. 

Glad more high res displays are appearing at 31"+ as well.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Uh? Gsync came much earlier out. Also Samsung actually never used Nvidia's own things like 3D vision, their 3D monitors don't support 3D on Nvidia GPU's so why would they support Gsync now? My S27A750D 3D mode doesn't work with nvidia gpu's.

What? SO?

Samsung never used Nvidia things doesn't mean Samsung has no reason not to -_- <_<. Unless Nvidia becomes their enemy of some sort (patent trolling). :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Digging up this thread as he posted an actual video about this recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnBmjN-GVuw

He mentions in his video the Samsung UE590 has a VA panel (at 3:50 ish)... I believe this may not be true? As I don't seem to find this information anywhere else... If it's true I am leaping on it.

Damn. 5 monitors and not a single one 21:9.

I really hope these either have better stands, or VESA mounts. The fact they made high end monitors that lacked both is absurd.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red