Is Dark Souls II actually fun?

Tacitus

I'd really like to play it at sometime, I've got it, but I'm yet to get around to it. That said, there's a few other games I want to play too, Dragon Age Inquisition among them. I don't have a lot of free time for the next month, so I don't want to spend a few hours per day on something that I'm ultimately not going to really be enjoying. I've never really played a game like DS, is it hard in the sense that you need to learn the game's systems and enemy tactics and combat that, or is it something that only genuinely good gamers can aspire to complete?

Basically, is it a good game because it has a good story/mechanics, or is it good because people just want the challenge?

I also worry I'll get waaay too addicted to DAI, and with deadlines and exams fast approaching that's maybe not desirable.

More fun than DAI in my opinion

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

More fun than DAI in my opinion

For any particular reasons though?

I presume you've played a bit of DAI? I thought it wasn't out in the UK until tomorrow haha?

I've rage quit, and I'm not even touching that game anymore.

Everything isn't just straightforward, and it's just UGH!

198TpIk.gifrage-quit.png

tumblr_lyj029x4ef1qlou3f.gif

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

For any particular reasons though?

I presume you've played a bit of DAI? I thought it wasn't out in the UK until tomorrow haha?

Because the combat in DAI is very much like an MMO, and the combat is pretty much press 1 to 9 to attack ect, not played it, but from watching it it just seems boring

Also some of the reviews are like "the first 20 hours are a grind, but once you get going its fun"... 20 hours.. to start the game?....wow

That said Dark Souls is all about the atmosphere, and the controller snapping difficulty, it will test your will. I pretty much played DS1 and 2 with a gamefaq guide... because I just couldnt do it alone

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Because the combat in DAI is very much like an MMO, and the combat is pretty much press 1 to 9 to attack ect, not played it, but from watching it it just seems boring

Also some of the reviews are like "the first 20 hours are a grind, but once you get going its fun"... 20 hours.. to start the game?....wow

That said Dark Souls is all about the atmosphere, and the controller snapping difficulty, it will test your will. I pretty much played DS1 and 2 with a gamefaq guide... because I just couldnt do it alone

Hmm, yes, it was the Kotaku review that said 20 hours to get into it. Granted, that's a lot, but I've been an MMO player so it's not that much. Though I do remember thinking the E3 gameplay looked boring. But if I've only got an hour or two here and there, I'd probably not really enjoy Dark Souls since I'd probably make very little progress.

Ugh, hard to decide, maybe I should just play a couple hours of both and see which I gravitate toward.

masochistically fun  ;)

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

ask @SAV1OUR hes played 2000hrs of ds1

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

Hmm, yes, it was the Kotaku review that said 20 hours to get into it. Granted, that's a lot, but I've been an MMO player so it's not that much. Though I do remember thinking the E3 gameplay looked boring. But if I've only got an hour or two here and there, I'd probably not really enjoy Dark Souls since I'd probably make very little progress.

Ugh, hard to decide, maybe I should just play a couple hours of both and see which I gravitate toward.

I really dont like MMOs so I guess thats why DAI turns me off, I doubt I will even bother picking it up. of course this is all just my thoughts

after watching totalbiscuits port report, i just think it looks even more boring than before haha, I wish I had hundreds of hours to invest, maybe I could enjoy it then but I dont have 300 hours to invest in one game

Well u will have to learn the combat mechanics of the game, timing of enemy attacks etc. If u get good at predicting these things right the game is a breeze.

The game is a lot of fun because of its precise and accurate combat mechanics. It poses a challenge as well which very few games do nowadays.

You should try it. You will get a hang of the games difficulty in a hour or two.

Just give it a try.

CPU: i7 3820 4.0GHz  CPU Cooler: Corsair H80  RAM: 16GB 1600MHz  MotherBoard: ASUS Sabertooth x79  GPU: EVGA 780 ti  PSU: Cougar GX1050 80plus gold  CASE: Antec 1100

Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeH6RheyXBWjRGRcF0ZTilA

I'd really like to play it at sometime, I've got it, but I'm yet to get around to it. That said, there's a few other games I want to play too, Dragon Age Inquisition among them. I don't have a lot of free time for the next month, so I don't want to spend a few hours per day on something that I'm ultimately not going to really be enjoying. I've never really played a game like DS, is it hard in the sense that you need to learn the game's systems and enemy tactics and combat that, or is it something that only genuinely good gamers can aspire to complete?

Basically, is it a good game because it has a good story/mechanics, or is it good because people just want the challenge?

I also worry I'll get waaay too addicted to DAI, and with deadlines and exams fast approaching that's maybe not desirable.

I loved Dark Souls 2, but you do not play it for the story. It is a good game to play when you have a while free and want to really challenge yourself, with a old school type game.

It is not a game that helps you out and tells you what to do. It is like a super hard, 3D platformer.

As far as addiction? I think Dark Souls 2 might have been one of the most addictive games I have ever played and you do NOT beat  it in a day. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I am absolutely horrible at video games and even though this game is difficult, clunky and looks like total *** it is still so much fun to play.  I rented it for console and had a blast with it.  I definitely recommend it.  In regards to story OP I don't even remember one but it didn't take away from the fun I had with the game.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I can only speak for the original Dark Souls as I haven't played the second one yet, but I will. I just beat Dark Souls this year so I'm giving it some breathing room before I hunker down for 2. 

It's open to your interpretation as to whether it's a good story or not. For the most part Dark Souls doesn't really directly present anything to you after the opening sequence and instead lets you discover on your own, of course there are resources available online should you get stuck or confused.

The mechanics in the Dark Souls games are best in class in my opinion, and they need to be. Dark Souls is "hard" in that it is unforgiving for those who don't want to be smart, take their time and learn an enemies movement, attacks and tells.

The game can be incredibly frustrating when you keep dying, but the deaths aren't because the game is cheap but rather due to your own mistakes. It took me about 8 hours to kill Havel The Rock because I kept messing up during my evasions, and I almost stopped playing the game when I ran into the buzzsaw that is Ornstein And Smaugh. But because these deaths were my fault for being clumsy, or rushing I wanted to come back and succeed. Eventually I did, beating the game in 95 hours and I can honestly say that succeeding in Dark Souls is an incredibly satisfying experience that is hard to come by in other games.

So yeah, play Dark Souls 2 because from what I hear it's another great experience.

Thanks everyone.

I had a spare 40 minutes so I loaded it up and I knew this isn't a game that holds your hand, but I was amazed they just plonk you into the world and tell you literally nothing, I was expecting a brief explanation of controls or menu navigation etc but nope, nothing.

I'll need to spend some more time dicking around and see what I can find to do.

Also, for everyone out there who does/has played, do you use a controller or keyboard and mouse? I was using controller, but couldn't get it to jump, so I had to use keyboard for one part, but the keyboard controls seemed really clunky.

Thanks everyone.

I had a spare 40 minutes so I loaded it up and I knew this isn't a game that holds your hand, but I was amazed they just plonk you into the world and tell you literally nothing, I was expecting a brief explanation of controls or menu navigation etc but nope, nothing.

I'll need to spend some more time dicking around and see what I can find to do.

Also, for everyone out there who does/has played, do you use a controller or keyboard and mouse? I was using controller, but couldn't get it to jump, so I had to use keyboard for one part, but the keyboard controls seemed really clunky.

If you use mouse & keyboard your'e gonna have a bad time.

Stick with the controller.

If you use mouse & keyboard your'e gonna have a bad time.

Stick with the controller.

Cheers, will do. How can I get my guy to sprint with it though? I can't figure that out haha!

Dark Souls and Dragon Age Inquisition are so far apart that you can't really compare them. DA:I has almost no failure state and is extremely 'hand-holding'. Dark Souls, at least the original, tells you jack-all and leaves it for you to figure out.

I'd say play the original first though. From what i've seen, the changes in #2 are not really improvements.

Cheers, will do. How can I get my guy to sprint with it though? I can't figure that out haha!

A?

A?

Will try next time I'm on, but I'm sure I did. I just couldn't see in the game settings my controller's buttons, only the keyboard ones.

DS 1 is one of the most fun games I've ever played and I've put more hours into it than any game since I got steam, probably only more hours in the sims 2 and Sim city

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Ive played through dark souls 2 and its not THAT hard. You WILL rage at some point of the game 100% guaranteed...but its not as impossible as people think it is, dont know about dark souls 1 or demon souls but DS2 isnt that bad. There is a learning curve and the start isnt easy but you will get better. And yes you a controller is highly recommended,i played on ps3 so it neevr really was a problem for me.

"Give a man a mask and he will become his true self." -Oscar Wilde

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i5 6600k @ 3.5GHz GPU MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Motherboard Asus Z170 Pro Gaming RAM Kingston Fury 2x4GB DDR4 2666MHz PSU XFX 650W Storage Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, Kingston 128GB SSD OS Windows 10

Ive played through dark souls 2 and its not THAT hard. You WILL rage at some point of the game 100% guaranteed...but its not as impossible as people think it is, dont know about dark souls 1 or demon souls but DS2 isnt that bad. There is a learning curve and the start isnt easy but you will get better. And yes you a controller is highly recommended,i played on ps3 so it neevr really was a problem for me.

Thanks for your input (forgive the pun!)

I gave Dark Souls 1 and 2 about 10 hours each to hook me and neither did.  And it sucks because any time I mention this, people assume I started playing video games in 2008 or something.  There's this weird cult around gamers who adore Dark Souls that empowers some to look down on other gamers who don't like this series.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K · MoBo: Asus Maximus Hero IX · RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB 2400MHz CL10) · GPU: EVGA SC+ GTX 980Ti (6 GB)
Case: Fractal Define R5, Black, Windowed · AMC: Corsair H90 with NF-A14 PWM (Pull)  · PSU Corsair HX 750W · SSD: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO
HDDs: WD Black 2TB and 2x Red 5TB · OS: Windows 10 · KB: Logitech 710+ · Mouse: Logitech G700S 
· Monitor: Acer XB270HU

I gave Dark Souls 1 and 2 about 10 hours each to hook me and neither did.  And it sucks because any time I mention this, people assume I started playing video games in 2008 or something.  There's this weird cult around gamers who adore Dark Souls that empowers some to look down on other gamers who don't like this series.

True, there is some douchery that surrounds the series. But the same can be said for alot of other games. 

Absolutely love it. The challenge and the atmosphere and the satisfaction when you finally beat the levels