2u Folding Server FINALLY :D

So... a while back I bought this 2u dual Xeon LV L5345 (Yes, she's an oldy).

Anyway, I totally didn't think about using it for folding until a few days ago. So, guess what it's doing now? You guesses it, folding.

44b735df96.png

pABvCfs.jpg

frMRq7V.jpg

E4QuhrL.jpg

It isn't doing the BEST PPD (nor the most efficient) but since it's always on anyway, why not use it for something good like research? Anyway thought I would share, since I've always loved folding but have never had a dedi machine for it. 

Post photos please.

Of the physical server? I suppose I could do that... 

I want a folding server =/

Nice server though :D 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Of the physical server? I suppose I could do that... 

Thanks. I am setting up a server right now, even though I have to get up for work in 6 hours.

Any PPD is better than no PPD in my book, good on you for setting it up! :)

Thanks. I am setting up a server right now, even though I have to get up for work in 6 hours.

Priorities!

Post photos please.

Alright, now in the spoiler in the OP

Although it looks nice and your indentions are good, imho it is kinda stupid. That server isn't really that powerful with two old single core, but yet probably draws a lot of power. With the cost of electricity you could easily buy a more efficient system.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Although it looks nice and your indentions are good, imho it is kinda stupid. That server isn't really that powerful with two old single core, but yet probably draws a lot of power. With the cost of electricity you could easily buy a more efficient system.

Two single cores? What? There are 2 Xeon LV L5345's in there with each being a quad core. That's 8 cores on a server that draws 350 watts and is on all the time weather it's folding or not. 

Since the darn thing uses 250-300 watts anyway, why not add an extra 100 and have it folding?

Two single cores? What? There are 2 Xeon LV L5345's in there with each being a quad core. That's 8 cores on a server that draws 350 watts and is on all the time weather it's folding or not. 

lol ... my fault. I just googled the processor and came to an Intel ARK page of an single core xeon.

This are Xeons E5345 then (There is no L5345 according to Intel)?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

lol ... my fault. I just googled the processor and came to an Intel ARK page of an single core xeon.

Ah, yes, that'd be correct. Core Temp was reading some weird name.... Must be an alternative name? Anyway, the E5345 is the correct one :P

http://ark.intel.com/products/28032/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5345-8M-Cache-2_33-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

Sweet, the more computing power the better.

For some reason, i was excited on your behalf when i read "dedicated folder" hehe.

Nice system :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I want it.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

whats the whole point in folding

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

whats the whole point in folding

Help fight diseases such as Cancer, or in my case, hIAPP.

I want it.

They're actually really cheap. I got mine for $250 on Craigslist. Dell Poweredge 2950

Nice system :)

How many PPD does it give? :)

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

I've got one of the same servers as you, but with dual Xeon X5355. Currently using it for a lightweight NAS and MySQL server, with BOINC projects on the side using 4 of the 8 cores.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

How many PPD does it give? :)

Not sure. I'm using the Chrome Web Folding thingy mabob which doesn't tell you the PPD :/

how much did you pay for the server if i may ask?

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

I paid around $250 for mine off eBay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2054897.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0&_nkw=PowerEdge+2950&_sacat=0

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

*Delete, I fucked up lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

$250 off of Craigslist

I would have bought off eBay, but I got impatient. 

Once I get time alone to tinker and finetune my overclocks on my graphics card and CPU, you can guess what it's doing while I'm not at home.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.