Do I need to reaply thermal paste if I remove waterblock?

So ima have to remove h100i for cleaning and I don't have any other thermal paste with me so can I just unscrew and screw it back on without temp problems or reducing?

So ima have to remove h100i for cleaning and I don't have any other thermal paste with me so can I just unscrew and screw it back on without temp problems or reducing?

You will need to clean off the old thermal paste from the CPU and block and re-apply.

"Rawr XD"

Not only reapply, but clean off the previous thermal paste as well.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

yea, you will get pretty bad temps if you dont.

I currently just switched my heatsink from one board to another(it has only been on the other board for a week or so)without reapply paste, and I'm getting pretty bad temps, I have no other option though as I have no spare TIM ;(

my temps are like 60C on all cores at 50% load on an i5 4670k D:

Clean the old paste from both the CPU and waterblock, then reapply new thermal paste.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

yea, you will get pretty bad temps if you dont.

I currently just switched my heatsink from one board to another(it has only been on the other board for a week or so)without reapply paste, and I'm getting pretty bad temps, I have no other option though as I have no spare TIM ;(

my temps are like 60C on all cores at 50% load on an i5 4670k D:

Not only reapply, but clean off the previous thermal paste as well.

You will need to clean off the old thermal paste from the CPU and block and re-apply.

Welp I guess I won't be trying to install my I/O shield.

False. So long as you don't touch the paste or let it touch anything else (putting the thing paste side down on a table, etc.) then you don't need to reapply it.

False. So long as you don't touch the paste or let it touch anything else (putting the thing paste side down on a table, etc.) then you don't need to reapply it.

Air bubbles will very likely be present if you don't apply fresh paste.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Air bubbles will very likely be present if you don't apply fresh paste.

The pressure of the block against the heat spreader will push the air out, next reason?

Uhh, no. 

I took my friend's H80i out to clean it, after I took it out he found out he had no thermal paste to re-apply with, so put the cooler back on the CPU with existing thermal paste on the two (nothing touched the thermal paste during the process that it was out of the PC) and temps increased by over 10 degrees as a result.

"Rawr XD"

The pressure of the block against the heat spreader will push the air out, next reason?

Proof otherwise null and void.

Not to mention the H100i is infamous for poor contact.

Proof otherwise null and void.

I don't have the means necessary to do that.  :mellow:

Uhh, no. 

I took my friend's H80i out to clean it, after I took it out he found out he had no thermal paste to re-apply with, so put the cooler back on the CPU with existing thermal paste on the two (nothing touched the thermal paste during the process that it was out of the PC) and temps increased by over 10 degrees as a result.

I've taken blocks on and off without having any adverse side effects, without changing the paste.

I would definitely do it, it's not gonna cost you much and it will make sure you are getting proper temps. Just clean with 99% iso and put some new paste on.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

It is worth a try. It cannot kill the cpu, it will just run a little hotter if it got a problem.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

I would definitely do it, it's not gonna cost you much and it will make sure you are getting proper temps. Just clean with 99% iso and put some new paste on.

Yeah I would it's just I don't have some with me right now and can't order stuff.

Absolute rubbish.

It is not acceptable technique,you must always remove and reapply TIM.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

False. The viscosity of most thermal pastes will trap air bubbles, even with the pressure of the block against the heat spreader. Air compresses very well, you will trap air bubbles. This isn't a problem with a fresh application, because you have TIM on 1 component, typically in a small dot in the center. As the TIM is squeezed and flattened it pushes the air out of the sides of the gap between the cooler and the heat spreader. When you have paste that is already spread out on both components, like you would have in a heat sink re-installation without removing the TIM, the TIM itself will end up making a partial seals before the cooler is completely pressured. Those partial seals are going to trap air, which will compress instead of get released and typically cause worse temperatures.

Why wouldn't you just clean off the old stuff, you could pretty much go pick some up or order some for peanuts, I'd never fail to clean and replace TIM because not doing so is simply silly.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Why wouldn't you just clean off the old stuff, you could pretty much go pick some up or order some for peanuts, I'd never fail to clean and replace TIM because not doing so is simply silly.

Yeah, it's just I can't go buy anything right now.

Yeah, it's just I can't go buy anything right now.

I feel you, I need to replace my coolant and tubing but cant until January, ask some members here if they could spare some?

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

I feel you, I need to replace my coolant and tubing but cant until January, ask some members here if they could spare some?

Meh, I guess cleaning and putting my I/O shield can wait.

Surely someone could mail you some? Ask around, I'd send you some if I had some.  :)

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Surely someone could mail you some? Ask around, I'd send you some if I had some.  :)

Well I mean, who would pay to ship some thermal paste... I will ask a I guess... ha ha.

Well I mean, who would pay to ship some thermal paste... I will ask a I guess... ha ha.

Honestly if I had a tube full or partially, you would be more than welcome to it buddy but I have none lol.  :)

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Asking for goods is against the forum's CoC.