NZXT Kraken G10 and GTX 980 worth doing?

I came across this video and wanted to know if anyone else has water cooled their GTX 980 and found nice improvements. I'm considering the G10 for my 980's but wanted to know about others' experiences.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, ASUS Maximus VII Hero, i7-4790K @ 4.5GHz, Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX 980Ti SC, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2X8GB 1866Mhz CL9, 2X Crucial M500 960GB, EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 GS, ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q w/ nVidia 3D Vision 2

if I was going to go water cool a gpu, it would be a h220x expanded with a full cover block

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

I came across this video and wanted to know if anyone else has water cooled their GTX 980 and found nice improvements. I'm considering the G10 for my 980's but wanted to know about others' experiences.

Definitely wait for the corsair hg10, it allows you to use your stock cooler fan and keep the vrm's much cooler unlike the g10 that is known to overheat nvidia card's vrms. It will be the same price and work the same. The 290x variant just came out from them.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

if I was going to go water cool a gpu, it would be a h220x expanded with a full cover block

with my 780 even with a full cover block vrm's get to 75C so i dont know if the g10 will be that good for all the temps core will be lower but with that block the memery does not even make contact with the cooler like with the strix cooler.

Needs Update

Definitely wait for the corsair hg10, it allows you to use your stock cooler fan and keep the vrm's much cooler unlike the g10 that is known to overheat nvidia card's vrms. It will be the same price and work the same. The 290x variant just came out from them.

I thought the HG10 was only for AMD cards

Tallgeese VI Build log coming soon!!
NZXT H440 | Intel Core i5-4690K | MSI Z97S Krait Edition | 12GB Corsair XMS3 | EVGA GTX970 Superclocked | Samsung 840 EVO 240GB, WD Blue 320GB | Corsair CX600M

Elite Dangerous: CMDR Zorin Kay'Van

no. 900 series running very cool. their is no need for a water AIO kit for it.

Not worth the money.

Not worth the money.

Lol. Yeah running very cool running with stock speeds. But you don't really know what his situation is. Maybe his room gets really warm and the ambient temps makes the air in his case warmer. MAYBE he wants to overclock his GPU and would like to take advantage of his card's OC headroom by keeping it ice cold with water cooling. IMO it's worth it to keep your system nice and frosty under load or to hit nice overclocks. 

Tallgeese VI Build log coming soon!!
NZXT H440 | Intel Core i5-4690K | MSI Z97S Krait Edition | 12GB Corsair XMS3 | EVGA GTX970 Superclocked | Samsung 840 EVO 240GB, WD Blue 320GB | Corsair CX600M

Elite Dangerous: CMDR Zorin Kay'Van

I thought the HG10 was only for AMD cards

No, it's coming out for the nvidia cards. It just came out for the 290's because they needed it asap lol. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Not worth the money.

I would have to agree. I am thinking about getting one for my 780ti but I don't think I would ever get one for a 980. The run so cool and quiet as it is. Hilariously enough the video is for the strix version? Why would you do that to a strix?

I would have to agree. I am thinking about getting one for my 780ti but I don't think I would ever get one for a 980. The run so cool and quiet as it is. Hilariously enough the video is for the strix version? Why would you do that to a strix?

I dont like the strix at all.

Why they set the fan off untill 60C. I want it running at lest 20%. I should hear any fun running at 20% when the case is closed.

I dont like the strix at all.

Why they set the fan off untill 60C. I want it running at lest 20%. I should hear any fun running at 20% when the case is closed.

Shouldn't? And I somewhat agree, turning the fan off seems pointless if it could be cooler and still not make noise. Can you tune that in a fan curve? I would turn the fan on once it hit 40c.

Not worth the money.

Well, I already have the G10 and H75 that I used on my old 780Ti Classy. I already have them. My preference is performance as well as noise. The VRM temps on my 780Ti stayed quite cool with the G10.

Lol. Yeah running very cool running with stock speeds. But you don't really know what his situation is. Maybe his room gets really warm and the ambient temps makes the air in his case warmer. MAYBE he wants to overclock his GPU and would like to take advantage of his card's OC headroom by keeping it ice cold with water cooling. IMO it's worth it to keep your system nice and frosty under load or to hit nice overclocks. 

I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed an increase in cooling efficiency with the G10 on the 980. The STRIX cooler is pretty quiet but I'm always in for some improvement if possible.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, ASUS Maximus VII Hero, i7-4790K @ 4.5GHz, Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX 980Ti SC, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2X8GB 1866Mhz CL9, 2X Crucial M500 960GB, EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 GS, ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q w/ nVidia 3D Vision 2

Well, I already have the G10 and H75 that I used on my old 780Ti Classy. I already have them. My preference is performance as well as noise. The VRM temps on my 780Ti stayed quite cool with the G10.

I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed an increase in cooling efficiency with the G10 on the 980. The STRIX cooler is pretty quiet but I'm always in for some improvement if possible.

I can tell you that just for the sake of saying you're W.C'ling theres no need for it. I have the Zotac amp Extreme and its running pretty cool with a moderate OC on top of the factory one. It's a waste unless as noted before your home is too hot(austrailia, california, AFREEKA) or aesthetics. B)

i5 3570K (4.5Ghz OC)|4x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance pro|Zotac GTX 980 Amp! Extreme Edition|Asus p8Z77M-pro|Raidmax 500 80+Br| 128GB Kingston Now SSD|2x1TB Western Digital Blue| Artic White Define R4|Corsair H60 cooler|CM Storm Quickfire MX BLUE| White Corsair M65

I can tell you that just for the sake of saying you're W.C'ling theres no need for it. I have the Zotac amp Extreme and its running pretty cool with a moderate OC on top of the factory one. It's a waste unless as noted before your home is too hot(austrailia, california, AFREEKA) or aesthetics. B)

I'm pretty satisfied with my temps so far but I've not done a lot of overclocking yet and I think the sound may be a bit better under water. Maybe I will hold off until I try some OC'ing.

Problem with corsair's solution is that its only for reference PCB designs your better of getting a G10 and fitting some of your own vrm heatsinks 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

if you go with a g10, even an H50/55 quiet edition AIO is overkill for a 980. I'm cooling two R9 290's with G10's and Corsair H50's and they both run in the low 50C's full load @ 1100Mhz, which normally would be 90C or higher.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Also keep in mind, you Classy's VRM was also a 14 Phase setup for the GPU. The more GPU phases the better the heat distribution over the mosfets. The GTX 980 doesn't have as many phases, but it does have a heatsink installed on top of the mosfets. The NZXT G10 92mm fan should cool the mosfets just as good if not better than the stock HSF. Also, does your card have a VRM temperature sensor?

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

Also keep in mind, you Classy's VRM was also a 14 Phase setup for the GPU. The more GPU phases the better the heat distribution over the mosfets. The GTX 980 doesn't have as many phases, but it does have a heatsink installed on top of the mosfets. The NZXT G10 92mm fan should cool the mosfets just as good if not better than the stock HSF. Also, does your card have a VRM temperature sensor?

Yes, my card does have a VRM temp sensor. I definitely love that about the ASUS cards.

Not worth the money.

Well, I actually already have everything that I took of my 780Ti's. I just have been using the cooler on it and it seems to keep everything cool. I was wondering if I'd see much improvement in noise and cooling together.

Cost not being an issue since I've already got everything.

Well, I actually already have everything that I took of my 780Ti's. I just have been using the cooler on it and it seems to keep everything cool. I was wondering if I'd see much improvement in noise and cooling together.

Cost not being an issue since I've already got everything.

If you already have everything, do it.  For someone who doesn't own the G10 components, I wouldn't recommend doing it to a Maxwell GPU, but since you already own the necessary items, do it.  Thats one of the benefits of the G10, it is almost universal.  Even if it only drops temps by 15-20C, thats still worth it, and will likely give you more overclocking headroom.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."