CPU temps HWmonitor vs speedfan?

CPU: FX 8350, 4.6GHz, Voltage: 1.476, NB voltage: 1.200, HWmonitor temps: 48*C; Speedfan temps:65*c max load Intel burn test.
Motherboard: 990FX extreme9 asrock. HWmonitor temps: 60*C. Speedfan system temp: 37*C
Cooler H100I Corsair.
Which is more reliable?

@gilgameshflood

Thats a pretty big difference.  This might not be a popular opinion, but try throwing HWiNFO into the equation and see where it shows your temps at.  If it falls in line wither either or, then thats the more accurate.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

@gilgameshflood

Thats a pretty big difference.  This might not be a popular opinion, but try throwing HWiNFO into the equation and see where it shows your temps at.  If it falls in line wither either or, then thats the more accurate.

This is the stress test, but I can't tell which is the CPU temperature here :wub: 

Capture.png

This is the stress test, but I can't tell which is the CPU temperature here :wub: 

CPU 0 Package is the temperature.  AMD processors measure temperature from the socket, not by individual cores.  You want to keep below 65C is what I've heard, but of course lower is better. I have also heard that AMD processors get more accurate a reading the hotter they get, which further complicates things.  Not sure if this is true, but something I heard.

47C is a good temperature for a stress test like IBT with those settings.  But, I see in HWinfo you only had it on for 1 minute.  Can you run the test again for a longer period of time with HWiNFO running the entire time please?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

With vishera core CPUs the max temp is 72℃

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

With vishera core CPUs the max temp is 72℃

Max temp might be 72, but 65 is when they start to throttle.

Check your software versions.  I had differences once between hwmonitor and realtemp and it turned out I needed to update one of them after which both matched. 

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

CPU 0 Package is the temperature.  AMD processors measure temperature from the socket, not by individual cores.  You want to keep below 65C is what I've heard, but of course lower is better. I have also heard that AMD processors get more accurate a reading the hotter they get, which further complicates things.  Not sure if this is true, but something I heard.

47C is a good temperature for a stress test like IBT with those settings.  But, I see in HWinfo you only had it on for 1 minute.  Can you run the test again for a longer period of time with HWiNFO running the entire time please?

bullshit, my old a8-5500 was reading at load that it was at 105 C

bullshit, my old a8-5500 was reading at load that it was at 105 C

What is bullshit to be precise? Maybe I should have said FX Processors instead of AMD processors.

Thanks. As for the stress test duration, I opened this software after the eighth IBT test(High setting). I tried again with it(HWinfo) open before the stress test started and got same results.

Thanks. As for the stress test duration, I opened this software after the eighth IBT test(High setting). I tried again with it(HWinfo) open before the stress test started and got same results.

Ok, that is your result then.

Max temp might be 72, but 65 is when they start to throttle.

Not true, if you enable HPC mode on asus boards (not sure on others) it won't throttle, I can confirm this as my CPU socket temp his 80 and I was still at full 4.9ghz, for the record (I have learned this the hard way lately) the FX chips calculate their heat through algorithm you can get temp spikes which will make you think it is hotter than it really is, in HWinfo if you double click a value it will open a graph window, use this to monitor your temps, Idle temps with the FX is a load of lies by the way lmao, which is why it fluctuates so much, however when the cpu is under full load with IBT it should be accurate.

Also are you testing your overclock with IBT AVX? you need to use that version and some hot fixes to get accurate results on how well your cpu is actually performing the tests.

Keep HWinfo open while you stress test (because as soon as the tests end, your cpu will idle and the results will be inaccurate) but make sure you close everything else off as it will effect performance.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

I've been testing my system again to get 4.9 stable to then progress onto 5ghz etc and this is what I mean by double clicking the package temp to monitor your temps better.

post-122562-0-74175700-1416512143.jpg

My temps sat comfy at 60c fine but those spikes gave me a reading of 68c for about a second which isn't realistic in the slightest to be honest. Also notice that sudden drop from 60c to 20-34c after the test had ended? This is why you need to take your readings with a grain of salt and decipher them as best you can lol.  :lol:

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd