5820K X99 Ultimate Overclocking Guide

nicklmg

I use two 970s, so the PCI-E lane issue isn't a problem for me, as the MSI X99S does X16/X8 Gen 3.0.

Unless you're using more than 2 cards, you're golden.

• 1 month later...

Can you make a mid-range gaming pc build

Why no SLI then?

Intel 5820K ¬ ASUS x99 Deluxe ¬ HyperX Predator 3000Mhz 16gb ¬ Gigabyte Titan X ¬ SuperFlow Leadex 850W ¬ Crucial Mx100 512Gb x2 RAID 0 ¬ NZXT H440 + HUE + X61 ¬ ASUS ROG Swift

• 4 weeks later...

Linus,

Your OC video on the Intel 5820 saved me from … well, distraction. 

I was bored over the winter and decided to build my first multicore system with my first custom water cooling loop.  I read the forums, reviews, etc.  The i7 5820 on an Asus Deluxe motherboard seemed very do-able and affordable, so I set to ordering the parts. 

At first, the Asus AI Suite software was achieving remarkable overclocks of 4.5, and, once, even 4.7 Ghz.  Then would come the weird anomalies like the system clock re-setting itself … to 24 hrs later than the current time; going from 60 FPS in BF4 to single digit FPS; and “Failed Overclock” messages on reboot. Then started the over polite “little boy blue” screens of failure.  I was spending way more time in my BIOS than I thought anyone should.  I feared the worst - a purely defective chip.

Nothing worked until I was scanning LMG forums about 5820s – and, I think it was Nick who’d posted the link to your OC guide … Wow.  All is now bliss.  LOLOL.  Again,

Thanks!

###

Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard

32 GB Corsair DDR4 2666Mhz LPX

Intel i7 5820

2 x EVGA 980 Hydro Copper in SLI

Mushkin Scorpion 240 GB PCIe SSD (boot drive)

4 x Crucial MX100 256GB SSDs in RAID 0 (applications and data)

All under a custom water cooling rig.

Doing my rig I didn't felt like watercooling my 980s because they are not hold back by temperature at all.

OK, so I finally 'scratched that itch' and took the plunge...

Followed this OCing guide to the letter, but unfortunately I can only achieve stability at 4.3 GHz with 1.35V Vcore.

Also had to up the RAM voltage to 1.22V.  Only then would the system happily pass a 12-hour AIDA64 stress test.

A 'casualty' of the silicon lottery, perhaps?

1.35 vcore seems very high for 4.3 ghz.
What is your PSU ?

Monitoring threads usage I have seen that most games don't use more than 8 cores so I disabled Hyper Threading while gaming.

• 1 year later...

What was the lowest voltage you guys used for your 5820k for 4.5ghz? ( I know Linus recommends 1.300) in his video.

I'm currently at 1.290 @ 4.5ghz , trying to lower the voltage as much as I can using OVERRIDE/fixed (not adaptive) so my temps are lower, currently peaking at low 80Cs and mostly 70C's while running AIDA64 with a Corsair h100i v2 in a Fractal Node 804 case. Please let me know.

I have crashed always trying to combine the XMP profiles with my CPU overclock ( I have Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz), any tips?

On 4/21/2015 at 2:03 AM, Pickoff said:

Doing my rig I didn't felt like watercooling my 980s because they are not hold back by temperature at all.

1.35 vcore seems very high for 4.3 ghz.
What is your PSU ?

Monitoring threads usage I have seen that most games don't use more than 8 cores so I disabled Hyper Threading while gaming.

I use a Cooler Master Silent Pro M1000 1kW PSU.