5820K X99 Ultimate Overclocking Guide

nicklmg

Great guide but I got a bit confused. When you enabled XMP you said the bclk changed to 125 and had to adjust cpu timings to it. But later when you said to mess a bit with the bclk for a stable overclock you changed it from 100 to 101... so which is it? Enable XMP and go back to 100 bclk or stay with the XMP bclk?

I ended up manually overriding the XMP base clock change back to the normal 100 strap because my system was perfectly stable with it. Not all will be, and many CPU/motherboard combinations will require a 125 strap to reach 2666MHz RAM.

Great guide but I got a bit confused. When you enabled XMP you said the bclk changed to 125 and had to adjust cpu timings to it. But later when you said to mess a bit with the bclk for a stable overclock you changed it from 100 to 101... so which is it? Enable XMP and go back to 100 bclk or stay with the XMP bclk?

Did they set BCLK to 125 in a few of those shots? They set it @ 11:43 while talking about STRAP. Couldn't this potentially damage some stuff? 

I was under the impression that BCLK should never be set above 106 since it controls sata, pci and ram with the cpu and STRAP is a ratio that separates the CPU from BCLK. I recall hearing stories about people damaging stuff setting these wrong.

Clarification would be nice. Great video otherwise, transitions perfectly to z97, it's the same workflow I used to get to 4.6 on my 4790k. I played with strap but couldn't get any higher so I opted to keep it simple, never touched bclk.

Play: Liten v3 (4970k @ 4.6GHz, 32GB Ram, Asus GTX 1070 Strix)

I ended up manually overriding the XMP base clock change back to the normal 100 strap because my system was perfectly stable with it. Not all will be, and many CPU/motherboard combinations will require a 125 strap to reach 2666MHz RAM.

Did they set BCLK to 125 in a few of those shots? They set it @ 11:43 while talking about STRAP. Couldn't this potentially damage some stuff? 

I was under the impression that BCLK should never be set above 106 since it controls sata, pci and ram with the cpu and STRAP is a ratio that separates the CPU from BCLK. I recall hearing stories about people damaging stuff setting these wrong.

Clarification would be nice. Great video otherwise, transitions perfectly to z97, it's the same workflow I used to get to 4.6 on my 4790k. I played with strap but couldn't get any higher so I opted to keep it simple, never touched bclk.

Ah I see, thanks for clarifying. I'm planning on building my first pc soon probably next year so don't want to overlook small details like this. Like you said in the video lower bclk and not so crazy ram speeds are better. But again, this is an extreme build probably won't have this issue on Z97 or whatever the consumer platform is next year.

thank you for the 60 fps i much prefer it over 1440p or 4k.

Yes! Definitively love the 1080p60 better than 4k.

LINUS YOU ARE WRONG THE ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREAME BLACK EDITION HAS PREMIUM AUDIO AND ONBOARD WIFI AND STUFF (And JJ from asus said that the audio on the black edition was better than the one on the Rampage V on tek syndicats review.)

Does anyone know what they use to capture video of the UEFI screen?  I assume capture card, but there's a more convenient option I'd love to know.

CPU: i7 6850K RAM: 64GB 3200Mhz Mobo: EVGA Micro2 PSU: EVGA P2 850W GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti FE

Case: Fractal Design Node 804 Cooler: NH-D15S

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GBSandisk Ultra II 960GB

Does anyone know what they use to capture video of the UEFI screen?  I assume capture card, but there's a more convenient option I'd love to know.

External capture card. That's the only way I think he could possibly be doing that.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

@LinusTech

Can I have more details about the prime95 thing? I've always been a fan of it, and have successfully nailed down little quirks that other stress tests seem to miss, so I use it all of the time. Link or something? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Does it make sense upgrading from a 3930K to this?

X99 is causing an itch that I REAAAALLLLLY wanna scratch.   :D

The only thing holding me back are the reeee-diculous DDR4 prices.

@LinusTech

Can I have more details about the prime95 thing? I've always been a fan of it, and have successfully nailed down little quirks that other stress tests seem to miss, so I use it all of the time. Link or something? 

I can't remember where I read about it but I did notice this in my overclocking. On some synthetic benches the voltage would spike by 0.10 volts higher than I expected, I ended up tuning for this since I run them all the time.

Can anyone answer my question about BCLK and STRAP? I'm pretty sure they made a mistake in the vid. I just wanna be sure because IIRC, mixing those up can immediately damage components. But I could be wrong. I would love to know. 

Play: Liten v3 (4970k @ 4.6GHz, 32GB Ram, Asus GTX 1070 Strix)

Very nice tutorial.By the way, what Fractal Case is that? It is the first Fractal case that has ever caught my eye.

Maybe it's because my 5960X,and Rampage V Extreme are sitting on a test bench.I really haven't had the desire to put it in a case till this video.

CM Storm Trooper| Asua Maximum VII Formula| 4770k H100i|Kingston Beast 32GB|Samsung Evo 250GB SSD|Seagate 3TB|EVGA Kingpin Edition 780 Ti(SLI)|Sound Blaster Z|Corsair 1200i

Samsung U28D590D | Corsair K70 | Razer Naga Hex | Kingston Hyper X Gaming Headset

Did you just say Asus Auto tuning was bad? My gosh - really...that's the main reason i was looking forward to X99-A. Is X99M Killer (from Asrock) better in this case?

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

Nice that LTT provides overclocking video guides.  Now if I only would use them immediately when I get a new cpu.  I am still at the point where I don't have a set overclock for my i5 2500k! LOL  With that said Linus is there an overlocking guide you made for the 1155 series of cpus?

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

• 1 month later...

from the very first time i started watching LTT, i've been hoping that you guys will put the prices of everything in the system you built, or the individual part you reviewed.

and then i saw the description, for pricing and discussion head  to this forum, but really. all i want is the price and yet i can't find it.

i really hope you will update all your video with the price of the corresponding part or system parts.

from the very first time i started watching LTT, i've been hoping that you guys will put the prices of everything in the system you built, or the individual part you reviewed.

and then i saw the description, for pricing and discussion head  to this forum, but really. all i want is the price and yet i can't find it.

i really hope you will update all your video with the price of the corresponding part or system parts.

the reason they don't add the prices is that they are always changing.  I know I will go back and watch old videos if there was something i wanted to get refreshed on and I watch the new videos to keep with with all the new tech and get a general entertaining overview.  pc part picker, newegg, ncix, frys, microcenter ect. ect. are all sources for the price of components.

the reason they don't add the prices is that they are always changing.  I know I will go back and watch old videos if there was something i wanted to get refreshed on and I watch the new videos to keep with with all the new tech and get a general entertaining overview.  pc part picker, newegg, ncix, frys, microcenter ect. ect. are all sources for the price of componenti

i know that but even if the price fluctuates, telling people the current or the price of the part when they got it, will help out a lot because as you know, some people just don't have the budget for something that is a little too high and by that i mean they will waste their time looking for the part price and end up being dissapointed knowing they cannot buy that thing that linus reviewed so awesomely in the video :(

i know that but even if the price fluctuates, telling people the current or the price of the part when they got it, will help out a lot because as you know, some people just don't have the budget for something that is a little too high and by that i mean they will waste their time looking for the part price and end up being dissapointed knowing they cannot buy that thing that linus reviewed so awesomely in the video :(

Personally, I don't think the point of their videos is to buy every product they review. It is more to inform you what is out there. Just because you can't afford it does mean you may see something you like and you may be able to find something similar for a cheaper price. If finances are tight and we have all been there, being more knowledgeable means you know what you can skimp on and what you can't.

Personally, I don't think the point of their videos is to buy every product they review. It is more to inform you what is out there. Just because you can't afford it does mean you may see something you like and you may be able to find something similar for a cheaper price. If finances are tight and we have all been there, being more knowledgeable means you know what you can skimp on and what you can't.

• 2 weeks later...

Aaaaaaaand this was the Video Linus talked about on the Live Show when he said he uploaded a 30 fps video as 60 fps and fooled "a lot" of people. I Dont see many people being happy about the fake 60 fps in the Youtube comments but on the SuperFun Channel they noticed it and also commented about it.

I wonder if the people here in this Thread actually watched the Video before thanking for the fake 60 fps video.

Aaaaaaaand this was the Video Linus talked about on the Live Show when he said he uploaded a 30 fps video as 60 fps and fooled "a lot" of people. I Dont see many people being happy about the fake 60 fps in the Youtube comments but on the SuperFun Channel they noticed it and also commented about it.

I wonder if the people here in this Thread actually watched the Video before thanking for the fake 60 fps video.

To be perfectly honest by prefacing this: I reluctantly gimp my ability to watch 1080p60 on youtube by overclocking my 1440p monitor to 120Hz. Youtube's videos with hardware acceleration (nothing else with the proper codecs) will drop nearly all frames and nearly make your system unusable. So I use Magic Actions for Youtube to force flash player and disable hardware acceleration. Aside from that, if I don't patch my video drivers for 120Hz 1440p I can see the 30 vs 60 difference in videos extremely well.

I did just come from watching the archive of the latest WAN show at CES. Decided to hunt down which video it was, found it, unpatched my drivers and reset to 60Hz, rebooted, loaded and watched the Fractal Define R5 review as a base-line for comparison, then watched this video at 1080p60 both through HTML5. I do not notice a difference at all between the two videos. Since Magic Actions for Youtube allows me to auto-HD; if I had been watching through his videos normally with unpatched drivers and 60Hz I'ld have likely come from whatever gaming video I had seen around the time of posting for this video, saw this, never noticed it was uploaded at 60fps, and moved on.

EDIT: Now excuse me while I repatch my drivers and reboot so I can have my 120Hz back. ;)

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6145146?
This is how you own price to performance.
"Life is too precious to be wasted in misery." -Me.

Sweet, was planning on seeing how far I could get my 5820 this weekend anyways.

My PC: MSI X99s SLI PLUS///Intel i7 5820k///Corsair H100i///Crucial DDR4 12GB///EVGA Supernova Gold 750w G2///ASUS GTX 1080 Strix///Phanteks Enthoo Luxe///Intel 730 240GB SSD///WD Blue 1TB///Intel 6250 WiFi
Current Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598///Corsair K70 LUX///Logitech MX Master///Razer Destructor 2///Saitek X52///Acer X34 Predator

I have seen this video a couple of times an I can say that when it comes down to properly overclocking the 5960X it is not that easy as it is with the 5820K and there a lot of other factors that come into play, like Uncore, System Agent voltage, etc. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so I finally 'scratched that itch' and took the plunge...

oQOrcS.jpg

fr6qAM.jpg

Followed this OCing guide to the letter, but unfortunately I can only achieve stability at 4.3 GHz with 1.35V Vcore.

Also had to up the RAM voltage to 1.22V.  Only then would the system happily pass a 12-hour AIDA64 stress test.

A 'casualty' of the silicon lottery, perhaps?

was thinking exacly the same:D

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

The 5820 is the sweet spot, 6 cores, and fully unlocked! But... it doesn't have the 40 pcie lanes... 

I'd be picking the ws-e which will allow multi gpu configs without worrying about the pcie lane limit.  

The WS-E is easily "IMHO" the best X99 board on the market, it's just missing 1 thing... native water blocks! It's not cheap either to use 2 different water blocks to get the correct blocks you need, you need the RIVBE EK waterblock which has the mosfets block you need and the RVE which has the chipset block you need.  However because the WS-E was designed well and has no fan(yay) I wouldn't worry about not having a water block, if anything I'd just buy the RIVBE block for the mosfet water block and call it a day. 

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress