Denuvo DRM DESTROYS SSD

ahhming

Games like lord of the fallen, fifa15, dragon age inquisition uses Denuvo DRM.

"Want to know how many times the average of the code LoF.exe being transferred from HDD to memory and back in one hour? 150000 retry copying records. This is 10,000 times greater than normal. DRM continuously decodes the game code into memory and encrypts obratno.Eto one of the most idiotic use of encryption techniques, which I have ever seen. Despite the fact that the small pieces of code (maximum steam kilobytes per entry), are stored in one memory block. Playing the game for 4-8 hours (depending on the quality SSD) means that the unit can be c goodbye forever. "

basically, Denuvo does massive damage to SSDs and HDDs. It increases hdd/sdd read/writes by about 50%

on the left the state before the start of the game, right after 40 minute (30 GB every 40 min)

855315e479_7456270_14771512.png

source:

http://gamemag.ru/news/drm-zashchita-dragon-ageinquisition-denuvo-antitamper-ubivaet-ssdhdd-101753

umm, what?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Is this the data being transfered?

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

on the left the state before the start of the game, right after 40 minute

Ehm wtf, fuck this drm then

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

what, oh dear. :o

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

on the left the state before the start of the game, right after 40 minute

just wow, I know that 100 TB in writes is ok to a SSD, some can last past 800TB writes. But 30 GB every 40 min is BAD.

That is 92 days (full 24Hr) to hit 100TB

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

just wow, I know that 100 TB in writes is ok to a SSD, some can last past 800TB writes. But 30 GB every 40 min is BAD.

That is 92 days (full 24Hr) to hit 100TB

So game 3 hours a day with this DRM, and you are done in 3 years easy, not even counting OS read/writes and such

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

So..... would playing this game fry my SSD or is this just theoretical? What if I installed it to my HDD instead of the SSD (which is likely since my SSD has like, 20g open right now.)

According to Samsung Magician I've had 2.92TB of total bytes written.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

So..... would playing this game fry my SSD or is this just theoretical? What if I installed it to my HDD instead of the SSD (which is likely since my SSD has like, 20g open right now.)

According to Samsung Magician I've had 2.92TB of total bytes written.

About 30 gigs of reads and writes, most consumer SSDs won't be too fond of that. You can have a look at how many total read/writes yours can handle and then do the math. All I can tell you is that this is a very high amount, and I belive that most consumer SSDs are at about 3000x cycles as a max. So a 100 gig ssd, can handle 300 TB worth of read writes.

So I wouldn't be playing this game of my SSD, and also not HDD for that matter, since these games generate a it too much cycles for my liking

Main rig:

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

About 30 gigs of reads and writes, most consumer SSDs won't be too fond of that. You can have a look at how many total read/writes yours can handle and then do the math. All I can tell you is that this is a very high amount, and I belive that most consumer SSDs are at about 3000x cycles as a max. So a 100 gig ssd, can handle 300 TB worth of read writes.

So I wouldn't be playing this game of my SSD, and also not HDD for that matter, since these games generate a it too much cycles for my liking

So if I want to play on PC, I'm pretty much fucked. GREAT.

Thanks a fucking lot EA

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

So if I want to play on PC, I'm pretty much fucked. GREAT.

Thanks a fucking lot EA

Well HDD is fine, those can handle a lot, I'm just not a big fan of having so much data constantly being transferred, nearly a gig per minute, so constant drive activity.

As a side note we also don't know whether this is true yet, although their figures seem legit as far as I can tell

Main rig:

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

Thanks a lot fags. 

Good thing these damn games cost more than SSDs

Anyway I didn't even know this was possible. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Thanks a lot fags. 

Good thing these damn games cost more than SSDs

Anyway I didn't even know this was possible. 

Wow, you are actually almost right, 60 dollars/euros for a AAA title, and a little over 60 dollars for a 120 gig SSD.... I didn't even think about that yet. 

Main rig:

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

This is a good find OP good job

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

What games use Denuvo?  I'd like to know so I know which games/companies to avoid.

What games use Denuvo?  I'd like to know so I know which games/companies to avoid.

Mainly some newer EA games. Fifa 15, the new dragon age .

muh specs 

All parts black

From reddit 

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2mn21a/as_a_warning_dont_install_games_with_denuvo_drm/

So this text is basically a 1:1 copy of a post by facepunch user Korova:

"Resource monitors for RAM and CPU consumption numbers, memory viewer for trying to figure out what makes it tick and track address issues, SSD analysis tools for those delicious dead blocks and data tracking. Wanna know average number of times parts of LotF exe code are fcked around between RAM and HDD in the span of one hour? 150000 copy/write iterations. That's about 10000 times more than usual. DRM constantly decrypts the game code into the memory and encrypts it back. This is the most bull**** usage of encryption software I've ever stumbled upon. And even though code chunks are quite small (couple of kilobytes per go at worst), they are all stored in one memory block. And playing the game for 4-8 hours(depends on SSD quality) means that you can say goodbye to that block." Source:http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index...5#post-3599880[1]

So check your install folder for Origin games. You might want to switch over to your hard disk drive with spinning iron plates instead of sacrificing the life of your solid state drive too early. Denuvo is also used by "Lords of the Fallen" and FIFA 15 so far. I think a lot of games will follow. Actually, this would be a good time for crackers to circumvent this protection method since Denuvo will actively destroy hardware over time. I am waiting for the first complaints and lawsuits due to destroyed hardware caused by Denuvo. Sony should probably put some money on the side for those lawsuits. Source:http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index...5#post-3599880[2]

For anyone that isn't following this thing, Denuvo is a DRM that encrypts and decrypts itself while you play the game so it's extremely difficult to crack. If these numbers are true, SSD users are fucked and it isn't doing anyone any favors with their normal hard drives.

New information has come out

From a russian forum: "The game's read\write operations per 40 minutes resulted in 30 GB of data processed. The number of operations done is insane. SSD's wear level hasn't changed though, however, the load is EXTREMELY high, so after, say, 100 hours of gameplay memory blocks will definitely start to wear down."

Screenshot before/after:

i9.pixs.ru/storage/5/1/2/855315e479_7456270_14771512.png

• Games that use Denuvo
  • Dragon Age Inquisition
  • Lords of the Fallen
  • FIFA 15

Let's hope the list doesn't grow any longer.

Original thread[3]

Class action suit in the making. That is vandalising your (expensive) hardware.

We need a reputable tech. analysis of the I/O impact of this, not some conclusion posted on a forum.

muh specs 

All parts black

I hope the whole Triple A market collapses at this point. Services I can't even log on to, which pirates avoid. Services slowing down my game, which these idiots tell us to play offline, when we didn't want crap like Uplay in the first place. Intrusive bloatware which pirates will avoid. Incomplete games which need 3-4 patches and still suck. Now they want to take out SSD's? Which pirates will again avoid.

Dear Triple A industry. When your DRM makes piracy a more enjoyable gaming experience and encourages paying customers to want to crack/pirate your products? You f'd up. It is getting to the point where you are making me just want to torrent a game, write you a check for the game with a photocopy of me giving you the middle finger and call it a day.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I hope the whole Triple A market collapses at this point. Services I can't even log on to, which pirates avoid. Services slowing down my game, which these idiots tell us to play offline, when we didn't want crap like Uplay in the first place. Intrusive bloatware which pirates will avoid. Incomplete games which need 3-4 patches and still suck. Now they want to take out SSD's? Which pirates will again avoid.

Dear Triple A industry. When your DRM makes piracy a more enjoyable gaming experience and encourages paying customers to want to crack/pirate your products? You f'd up. It is getting to the point where you are making me just want to torrent a game, write you a check for the game with a photocopy of me giving you the middle finger and call it a day.

People were claiming this drm wasn't bypassed for more than a month...which is bullshit. IT was bypasssed, just no one wanted to play fifa 15 anyway. DAI was cracked immediately from skidrow and others. 

Edit---

For all the people that are too lazy to read on

I discovered I was wrong. I had been looking at the official skidrow files with tons of seeds that listed a crack but on close inspection don't actually include it according to comments. 

Do you blame me? This is the first DRM I've ever seen that wasn't crack immediately. On inspection of how ti works it's actually quite impressive. 

So for like the fifth fucking time read on before commenting on this. 

muh specs 

All parts black

People were claiming this drm wasn't bypassed for more than a month...which is bullshit. IT was bypasssed, just no one wanted to play fifa 15 anyway. DAI was cracked immediately from skidrow and others. 

Are you kidding me? They already cracked the game? Too funny. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Search TPB

Not really funny because EA defenders and EA themselves argue this extra DRM actually works. 

muh specs 

All parts black

no check the pirate bay i can't find any cracks for dragon age inquisition or lords of the fallen and don't trust anyone without a skull