Far Cry 4 GPU Benchmarks

BiG StroOnZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAYdJ3-yQNo

The above is a video overview of our benchmark course. Follow the same path to replicate our tests. The video shows Far Cry 4 at max settings (Ultra / “NVIDIA”) with soft shadows, HBAO+, and TXAA 4x at nearly 60FPS / 1080p.

We ran an identical 120-second circuit in Far Cry 4's first village for each test.

vz7nk4.jpg

Ultra:

farcry4-bench1.jpg

Very High:

farcry4-bench2.jpg

Medium:

farcry4-bench3.jpg

Low:

farcry4-bench4.jpg

NVIDIA Preset:

farcry4-bench5.jpg

For analysis of VRAM consumption, we logged GPU metrics using GPU-Z and analyzed them after the benchmarks:

farcry4-vram.jpg

Far Cry 4 has fairly intensive graphics, but the game performs fluidly on all nVidia hardware. The fluidity with which gameplay unfolded meant that even nVidia devices pushing 30-40FPS were still more than “playable” in both input and visual output. AMD devices suffered horribly, though. Even with a 290X on medium settings, we experienced frame stuttering and choppiness (similar to what we saw in Watch_Dogs) that was jarring enough to be considered “unplayable.” Panning the camera left-to-right showcases the stuttering and frame drops, ultimately netting a somewhat nauseating experience on AMD GPUs.

NVIDIA's cards run shockingly fluidly given the somewhat average framerates. Far Cry 4 is completely playable on a 750 Ti, though you'd want to drop settings a bit (probably close to “low”) for those scenes featuring explosives and high-action. The special “NVIDIA” preset game settings create an environment that features low-hanging fog, cloud-piercing god rays, and AA / AO that make for a beautifully-rendered game.

Source: http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1701-far-cry-4-gpu-benchmark-amd-is-broken-again

What is surprising by me with the results is even though cards with more than 3GB of VRAM are displaying VRAM Usage of over 3GB on Ultra Settings, the game is still more than playable on Ultra with NVIDIA cards with only 3GB of VRAM judging by the reviewers exclamations on "how smooth and fluid it is." 

I added a second source of Benchmarks provided by another website to give some variation. These benchmarks are ran with maxed out settings and both AMD and NVIDIA have the newest drivers installed. Which means Catalyst 14.11.2 Beta for AMD and 344.75 Beta drivers for NVIDIA:

1087a0l.png

2mm7fqg.png

Source: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Far-Cry-4-PC-256888/Specials/Technik-Test-Benchmark-1143026/

I can it on high without any problems, and I've got a 560. D:

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

ranging form 25 up to 881fps on 1080 ultra, that game seems unstable as fak

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Looking pretty decent. I wonder if LTT will be using this as their new benchmark? ;D

I wander what my 4GB 680 will think about this game. Hopefully I will be able to get 60fps solid with some setting tweaking.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

970 is not listed...

take 10-13% off the 980 and there you go. and tbh if you overclock the 970 you should get the same fps as a 980 in this game

So basically the same as far cry 3 except TERRIBLE minimum frame rates. I am sure that could be ironed out with patches though.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Love that AMD performance - first AC then FC . From now on my 290 will be used as a heater. Well maybe sometimes I'll play few years old games at ridiculous resolutions.

Fuck.

With my 660Ti I have statters all over the place even with low settings. It's very unplayable for me even with the new nvidia drivers and the latest game patch.

The framerate is inconsistent and it is very noticeable. You can see that on the graphs too. Min fps are are waaay down.

That minimum fps. I don't care about average if it dips that low on a 980....

Reviewer claims that it's not noticeable, judging by his excitement on how smooth the game runs overall. Which would mean even in instances that the frames dropped that low it didn't effect or change his stance on the smoothness. 

Im seriously starting to wonder if Nvidia Gameworks actively shafts AMD cards on purpose..... Not even Crossfire works on it (AMD are trying for FC4 but it are waiting for Ubisoft to fix it at there end)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Where is the GTX 970, you have it listed on your test bench and your sponsors supplied it for you...

With my 660Ti I have statters all over the place even with low settings. It's very unplayable for me even with the new nvidia drivers and the latest game patch.

The framerate is inconsistent and it is very noticeable. You can see that on the graphs too. Min fps are are waaay down.

Supposedly even on Low it is consuming over 2GB of VRAM which could be the answer to your stuttering problem.

Another Ubi game that hates AMD cards. 

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system

Reviewer claims that it's not noticeable, judging by his excitement on how smooth the game runs overall. Which would mean even in instances that the frames dropped that low it didn't effect or change his stance on the smoothness. 

Thanks for catching that one. I'm still not a big fan of the thought. Makes me wonder if it could be improved... And I bet the patches would fix it to a more suitable level, possibly increasing the overall fps of all cards. The huge fluctuation from 25 - 80+ just seems like a very odd thing.

Supposedly even on Low it is consuming over 2GB of VRAM which could be the answer to your stuttering problem.

It doesn't. I see it on MSI afterburner.

Even if it was me you can see from the min fps that the game has statters.

looking like im gonna be forced to get Nvidia next time I upgrade... no one is doing anything for AMD anymore it seems :/

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Which AA method was used?

Thanks for catching that one. I'm still not a big fan of the thought. Makes me wonder if it could be improved... And I bet the patches would fix it to a more suitable level, possibly increasing the overall fps of all cards. The huge fluctuation from 25 - 80+ just seems like a very odd thing.

I'm sure there will at least be driver updates to improve performance, if not patches.

It doesn't. I see it on MSI afterburner.

Even if it was me you can see from the min fps that the game has statters.

If your card has only 2GB of memory, it would be impossible for you to see if it's consuming over 2GB of memory. Because of texture downsizing it wouldn't even be revealed to you in any other way besides stuttering. Unless of course the reviewer is just making the entire benchmark results up along with his experience playing the game.

Is anyone getting terrbile stutter on a GTX 970. It's very inconsistent frame rate. I'm running no AA and simply just "High" settings. I have alot of other stuff disabled too. I don't understand how I'm getting this awful framerate. 

Im seriously starting to wonder if Nvidia Gameworks actively shafts AMD cards on purpose..... Not even Crossfire works on it (AMD are trying for FC4 but it are waiting for Ubisoft to fix it at there end)

Yes.

I mean, No, not on purpose, but they definitely aren't going out of their way to make performance on AMD cards anywhere near as competitive as they should be... Gotta make money somehow, and rigging games with proprietary rendering techniques is a relatively easy way to secure market share and increase the profit margins.

What's the worst that could happen to them? Pay $15 ten years from now? lol.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Whats the difference between MINIMUM and 1% LOW FPS ?????

Even GTX 980 drops under 30fps :-O doesnt seem like its that well optimized for PC when top end card (from 900 series) gets as low fps as gtx 750ti or little more fps than other low end cards...

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Ultra with MSAAx2 and getting around 50 fps with gtx 770, pretty satisfied :)

GPU: MSI GTX 770 gaming || CPU: Intel 4670k @ 4.4Ghz || RAM: 4x4GB 1600mhz Corsair vengeance pro || MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming || CPU cooler: Corsair H105 || PSU: Corsair RM650 || SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Crucial M4 128GB || Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 || Monitor: ASUS PA238Q

These tests are bullcrap. I got a 280x and i'm running at 1080p with the game on ultra, 90% of the time above 60 fps. The only thing i got changed is Amb oclusion to SSAO, ssaa.

This test is biased as hell. I'm running the game with steady fps and eyecandy looks on my 280x how? magic? whatever...