Is using outside air to add cool air into the case a bad idea?

LaboonTheWhale

So I came across this mod that someone did awhile back and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts. 

I've used the search function but nothing has popped up for me. 

Would doing this cause condensation at all since its cool air running into pretty hot air. I'm not really intelligent in this subject. 

http://hackaday.com/2011/01/10/outside-air-cooled-pc/

OP used a flexible duct to direct cold air from the outside into his PC case to cool his PC. 

I have a FX 8350 and an R9 290 and it gets a little too warm in my little room. Is this a viable thing to do? 

Unless you get some amazing filters, condensation would be a major problem.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

I remember seeing that. All it needs is air filters and it's perfectly fine.

I have a FX 8350 and an R9 290 and it gets a little too warm in my little room. Is this a viable thing to do? 

You could just vent the heat out and pull air from inside your room.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

What @Jobbe03 said.

Condensation/humidity would be a problem.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

You could just vent the heat out and pull air from inside your room.

With how tiny my room is and with the heaters running in the apartment, I would feel like its not doing a very good job cooling my PC. Just an idea that popped up. 

Edit: also its hard to vent heat out towards the window when my exhausts are 360mm and 140mm. I have no clue how to pull that off. 

EDIT: Okey know i know ^^, why don't you open a window while gaming ?

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

So why do you wanna do this ? Silence ?

because heat. gets very hot in my room running any game under load. If i crack the window then my lets freeze (I have a table infront of the window that would direct the air down.)

because heat. gets very hot in my room running any game under load. If i crack the window then my lets freeze (I have a table infront of the window that would direct the air down.)

Ah okey, maybe install a low RPM cooler in your "footroom" :D

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Ah okey, maybe install a low RPM cooler in your "footroom" :D

That is a good option, but the whole room gets very warm. Soo keeping only my legs cool wouldn't work :P

That is a good option, but the whole room gets very warm. Soo keeping only my legs cool wouldn't work :P

Maybe the only solution is a AC then, but don't underestimate the power of two fans!

You could do it but there are some caveats: keeping the rain out usually isn't that hard: all you need to do is have the duct vertical with the intake at the bottom, in the beginning. Condensation could be worked around, as it's most likely to form on the outside of the duct inside your house. You'd have to insulate it very well. And lastly, and more importantly, you can't really use it when the weather is foggy because then condensation has formed within the air itself. Maybe you could get around that with a filter of some sort. In short, it's possible, but I wouldn't recommend it. And if you're watercooling you can cool the water with outside air but then you risk having condensation form on your hoses. Also not really worth it.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.