840 evo VS 850 pro

Zach's Tech Tips

hey linus commuity i am investing in a new pc and was wondering if i should get a 250gb 840 evo or a 128gb pro. I figure the pro is more expensive because it is faster is this true? also what are some other major differences betwwen the two?

Thanks

wolffangs147

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

Evo unless you're writing terabyte of data daily 

It's barely faster, it's more expensive as its a more durable drive, but the Evo will still last years and you won't notice any speed differences between the two unless you're constantly writing large files. 

Better yet, get a Crucial MX100 or Adata SP900

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The Intel ssd's are good too.

I would go for the 840 evo

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Evo unless you're writing terabyte of data daily 

It's barely faster, it's more expensive as its a more durable drive, but the Evo will still last years and you won't notice any speed differences between the two unless you're constantly writing large files. 

Better yet, get a Crucial MX100 or Adata SP900

thanks ill look at them

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

Wait for new Corsair Neutron SSD, will be much better.

"will be much better."

Really, how so?

Both an Evo, pro, MX100, and Sp900 almost completely saturate sata 3, and you can barely tell them apart. So, unless its over PCIe, it will be virtually the same performance. Not to mention, Corsair SSDs haven't been competitively priced in quite a while.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

"will be much better."

Really, how so?

Both an Evo, pro, MX100, and Sp900 almost completely saturate sata 3, and you can barely tell them apart. So, unless its over PCIe, it will be virtually the same performance. Not to mention, Corsair SSDs haven't been competitively priced in quite a while.

Take my advice or don't, but I am telling you Corsair SSD's are OP AF. Not competitively priced? Perhaps to you who is just builds a few System's a year, but those of us who configure 100's of System's/year would argue against that. We care about long-term performance, QA (reliability), product/soft-side support, availability, and then lastly we care about the upfront cost. Corsair SSD's never fail. Ever. Barely any issues with degradation. All the others besides maybe a handful of Intel SSD's have far too many issues. 

Take my advice or don't, but I am telling you Corsair SSD's are OP AF. Not competitively priced? Perhaps to you who is just builds a few System's a year, but those of us who configure 100's of System's/year would argue against that. We care about long-term performance, QA (reliability), product/soft-side support, availability, and then lastly we care about the upfront cost. Corsair SSD's never fail. Ever. Barely any issues with degradation. All the others besides maybe a handful of Intel SSD's have far too many issues.

I smell fanboy

Crucial and Intel both make incredibly reliable drives. So either you're just fanboying, or you've had bad luck -- which can happen with any manufacturer.

And again, how do you propose they make this new drive "much better" if reliability is already there, and the speed is capped by the Sata 3 spec; so unless its a PCIe interface, which isn't even an option for a large number of people, ssds really can't go very far other than better $/gb.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

The only difference I see between those 2 is the warranty. EVO 3yrs Pro 10yrs.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

Go the EVO the 250GB drive should last 8+ years with 50GB a day of writes to it

i7 4790k | ASUS Z97 Gryphon | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz | Asus Direct CUII GTX 770 1267/3829 | Stock Cooler | Antec Neo Eco 520W | WD Green 1TB

Silverstone TJ08-e | Klipsch Promedia 2.1 | Razer Tiamat 2.2 | LG 24EN43VS | Razer Naga (2010) | Razer Lycosa (2010)

Planned PC Upgrades: https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=325661&action=wish_lists

Dude.. 850 Pro have warranty for 10 years.. :o :o :o

Evo only 3 years :( :( :(

I think the performance is about 15% faster on the 850 Pro and it has way longer warranty, but the price/performance ratio wise, 840 EVO is sooo much better.

True... but do you really expect to still use much of today's hardware in 10 years? I don't...

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

Evo only 3 years :( :( :(

In 3 years current SSDs will feel like HDDs in comparison to SSDs at that time. 

I think the performance is about 15% faster on the 850 Pro and it has way longer warranty, but the price/performance ratio wise, 840 EVO is sooo much better.

It's not that nearly that much; and unless you compare them side-by-side you won't notice a difference. 

True... but do you really expect to still use much of today's hardware in 10 years? I don't...

this

I just went through and scrapped my 10 year old desktop, which was just sitting in a corner, and there wasn't a single piece of useful hardware in it worth saving:

CPU was a 1.8ghz AMD Athlong 64+ 3000 (single core) 

Mobo: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe 

GPU: PowerColor 512mb X1950 Pro

HDD: 220gb 7200rpm Toshiba 

RAM: 3gb DDR400

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 

PSU: 430w, came with the case 

Cooler: some Asus (stock-like cooler)

As can easily be seen, the only thing worth anything anymore would be the case and psu, but the case doesn't have any cablemanagement -- whatsoever-- and the psu isn't even 80+.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yes. I agreed in term of performance. But, I'm more interested in saying how much Samsung have confidence in their SSD.

I'm still new in computer hardware but I never come across any company that provide warranty up to that long. Usually, only up to 5 years.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes. I agreed in term of performance. But, I'm more interested in saying how much Samsung have confidence in their SSD.

I'm still new in computer hardware but I never come across any company that provide warranty up to that long. Usually, only up to 5 years.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd put my money on them knowing full well that only a small fraction will still be using it after 3-5 years, therefore they might as well just give it a 10 year warranty since it can only help sales with minimal negatives (how many people are honestly going to give a shit that the drive doesn't work 9 years from now).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Not really wrong, no. It's certainly a hell of a good SSD. And yes, 3-5 years is much more usual, while 10 is extremely long - but the risk for Samsung, of having people still care some time after 2019, about their warranty on their (by then probably pretty much obsolete) drives is pretty minimal, I'd say. So even if it wouldn't be any better than their products with 5 years warranty, I wouldn't really matter much by then. But yes, I do believe the 850 Pros probably will last longer (maybe not every individual drive, but on average), and the increased warranty is one indicator for this. But I don't think that alone will be worth the increased cost for most people, so I hesitate to advise people to go and get it purely based on that.

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

The only difference I see between those 2 is the warranty. EVO 3yrs Pro 10yrs.

No. They use a different style of NAND.

The two are technically quite different.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

No. They use a different style of NAND.

The two are technically quite different.

Then why are the read and write speeds so similiar? To pay $XX more when the difference is negligible?

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...