Mad Catz RAT 7... any good ? Alternatives ?

dmegatool

I'll be buying a mouse to work with. So it's not for gaming but a lot of photoshop and some 3D. 

I was looking at the RAT 7 but I see a lot of comments about the build quality and the sensor. I don't know if I willing to take the risk. There's always the warranty but you know... Should I ? I like the look. 

I've seen the Ouroboros from Razer wich seems interesting. Is there any other mice that are adjustable ? I have quite large hands and buying a mouse online is kind of a hit or miss so I would like things like adjustable palm rest, thumb/pinky and as a bonus weight.

I believe my friend has this model.

I dunno, personally wouldn't buy it because:

1. It feel too cheap, too much light plastic.

2. Feels too light. Maybe there's a possibility to use wights, but I didn't like the stock weight.

3. the 2 button are plain annoying, I would press them on accident.. Annoying.

4. can't use it left-handed.

It does seem like an alright mouse, I would personally go for something different because I did not like it.

Keep in mind, this is my personal opinion and you may have a different opinion on it

EDIT: about alternatives: I don't really know...

I am still using my trusty 200-something Microsoft mouse.. Still not ready to buy a gaming mouse :P

If I were to buy something new, I would most likely go for something Razer, Steelseries, Asus (the new ROG mouse) or Corsair

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Look, in the last 10-15 years I changed an insane amount of gaming mice and the RAT 7 is the first mouse I didn't throw out of the window.

I bought this one a year ago and I'm loving it.

The build quality is good and I had no problems with the sensor.

I mostly play CS and Dota and I don't have any problems.

I used to have a Tt eSports Level 10M, which was an adjustable mouse. A friend of mine had a R.A.T 9 (Basically the wireless version of the 7), and another friend had the Ouroborous

I find you spend so long trying to get comfortable with adjustable mice, rather than them just being comfortable, if that makes sense

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Look, in the last 10-15 years I changed an insane amount of gaming mice and the RAT 7 is the first mouse I didn't throw out of the window.

I bought this one a year ago and I'm loving it.

The build quality is good and I had no problems with the sensor.

I mostly play CS and Dota and I don't have any problems.

That's cool. Comments here tells me otherwise though.Maybe you got lucky ? Or maybe we just hear people complaining. Satisfied customers are keeping it quite :)

I used to have a Tt eSports Level 10M, which was an adjustable mouse. A friend of mine had a R.A.T 9 (Basically the wireless version of the 7), and another friend had the Ouroborous

I find you spend so long trying to get comfortable with adjustable mice, rather than them just being comfortable, if that makes sense

Didn't heard of the Tt eSports Level 10M. How is it ? I would like your input as you used the 3 models listed so far :)

I like my RAT 7. I have not had any issues with the build quality or the sensor. It has also been quite durable compared to my last couple Razer mice. My last two Razer mice both had issues with LMB double clicking after ~1 year of use. My RAT 7 has been going strong for some 2-3 years now. Of course, YMMV.

I say I like it rather than love it because in the end I found I personally did not need the adjustability as much as I thought. I have small hands and use a claw/fingertip grip, so I tend to like small and lightweight mice. The RAT 7 is definitely not on the light side, even without any weights. I have gotten used to the weight now though. 

I never the use the "Sniper" button thingy, but I do love the thumb wheel. Makes  switching through the bajillion tabs I have much easier  :)

CPU: Intel 4790k Cooler: Corsair h100i Mobo: ASUS Z97-A RAM: Corsair 16GB Vengeance 1866 GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Storage: Crucial mx100 512GB & x3 2TB HDDs Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl PSU: Seasonic SSR-650RM Monitors: Acer XB271HU and Asus VG236 Keyboard: Corsair Gaming k70 RGB Mouse: Cyborg RAT 7 Headset: Sennheiser 558 + Antlion ModMic 4.0 Speakers: Harmon Kardon Soundsticks

I had a R.A.T. 7. Well I still have it but It's sitting in my closet collecting dust at the moment. I had a DeathAdder 3.5G before it. I kinda felt like it was very heavy mouse even with no weights compared to the 3.5G I had before. But the thing that I really didn't like was the sensor of the R.A.T.7. I used it about a year or so and the sensor started getting all glitchy on me. Sometimes I would be playing CSGO and the sensor wouldn't track any movement for some reason. After that I bought a DeathAdder 2013 which I'm still using right now and it's doing fine. Personally I wouldn't recommend it but don't get me wrong I do like the customization you get with it but I don't think I can recommend it until they fix the tracking issues.

PC: i7 8700K / Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 / ASUS Prime Z370-A / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 / Corsair RM650X / Corsair H100i / Phanteks P400S / Samsung Evo 860 SSD / Peripherals / Etc: Steelseries Rival 310 / CM Storm Trigger (Cherry MX Browns) / MSi MAG24C / Sennheiser HD 6XX / Hyper X Cloud 2 / Jaybird X3 / Beats X /

Dell XPS 13: i7 7560U / Iris 640 / 8GB LPDDR3 / 256GB SSD

Didn't heard of the Tt eSports Level 10M. How is it ? I would like your input as you used the 3 models listed so far :)

My input is I didn't like any of them. If I absolutely had to choose, it'd be the ouroborous simply because it's not overly heavy like the other offerings

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

I have a RAT 7 and in my opinion it's pretty good. Don't know what material they used on it but I like it, also solid metal frame

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: ASUS Strix Radeon R7 5700 XT OC Edition Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL14 SSD: 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860 Cooling: NZXT Kraken X72 Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X Mirror Black Display: BenQ XL2420Z  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Audio: Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum

I had the chance to compare both of these mice. (Razer Mamba, RAT7)

Overall, the RAT7 have a really weird sensor (acceleration), cant play with it a CS:GO and Dota2. The mice feel very cheap and the click sound is annoying.

My mamba is higher, very sensitive click. the mice quality feel correct and really comfortable.

15400288579_9767ae08fc_n.jpg15563221206_36b96ef812_n.jpg

RAT7 amazing mouse if you want to buy one every two months.

So it really depends if you get  a good mouse or a bad one that will fail within months... Great ! :\ 

The Ouroboros is a good 50$ so I don't know. Maybe I'll check to buy it locally. Like at Best Buy or something with an extended warranty. Would be easier if something fail...  

I've owned a RAT5 for almost half a year now. It has yet to break. Good mouse.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Check this mice:

Gigabyte M6800 or M6980x

Logitech G502

Razer Deathadder (not the chroma)

I've had my RAT 7 for more than a year, and still doing good

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: ASUS Strix Radeon R7 5700 XT OC Edition Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL14 SSD: 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860 Cooling: NZXT Kraken X72 Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X Mirror Black Display: BenQ XL2420Z  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Audio: Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum

I love how people are comparing it to the Razer Mamba. The RAT 9 and the Mamba are the two gaming mice I've ever owned.

I liked the feel of the Mamba. It had a nice weight, it was ergonomically nice, the RGB LED was a nice touch. But the build quality wasn't terrific and it was very expensive for what it was. More than the RAT 9 by quite a bit. And ALL OF THE DOUBLECLICKING. I went through SO MUCH switch cleaner with that mouse to keep the thing functioning. I gave up with updating the firmware too since the process was needlessly complicated and wouldn't work. And eventually it just died. Kept the nice braided cable though.

The RAT comes with weights, but I use the stock weight. The aluminium underside spreads a weight evenly and I find that comfortable. Buttons take a nice amount of force to actuate, the entire thing is adjustable near enough, and the programmable horizontal scroll is an addition that I actually miss when I have to use other mice now. The battery life is appalling, to be frank, but this is somewhat mitigated by the system of having one battery charging and one in the mouse and swapping when it dies. I can understand if some people get annoyed by this though.

So yeah... that's not a RAT 7, but it's my experience of a similar product.

evga torq x10

Just watched Hardware Canucks review yesterday. It's cool but I don't think I like the feel and placement of the side buttons.

Just watched Hardware Canucks review yesterday. It's cool but I don't think I like the feel and placement of the side buttons.

you mean the right side ones?

I dunno, never held a mouse with such layout, although my buddy has steeseries sensei and says that he became used to this kind.

and I recall Barnacules was quite impressed with this rodent.

You can go with ouroboros, but the plastic... ugh, it feels cheap...

But still it is your opinion that matters, so I would suggest you to check all of these mice (in this thread) and see it yourself. I think you can find most of em in your local hardware stores

Oh, one more thing. What do you think about Mionix Naos 7000 and Roccat Tyon? 

Tyon seems nice one in terms of button layout for work with graphics content. And Naos seems just comfy. (Again that's your call, "comfy" that is)