Where is the cheapest and easiest way I can learn HTML?

mustafaali61

I want to learn to start programming and i was recommended to start with HTML then to go on to other languages.

What do you guys think?

CPU AMD FX-6300 Motherboard MSI 970A-G43 RAM G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2x4GB) GPU PNY GTX 660 Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) Storage1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue PSU Corsair 500W Display(s)AOC and Viewsonic Cooling Enermax ETS-T40-TB Keyboard CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid with Blue Switches Dollar Store Mouse Sound Dollar Store Speaker

lynda.com with linus' offer code :)

www.lynda.com/wanshow

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Search youtube for html tutorials?

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

i will definitely check this out

CPU AMD FX-6300 Motherboard MSI 970A-G43 RAM G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2x4GB) GPU PNY GTX 660 Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) Storage1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue PSU Corsair 500W Display(s)AOC and Viewsonic Cooling Enermax ETS-T40-TB Keyboard CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid with Blue Switches Dollar Store Mouse Sound Dollar Store Speaker

W3Schools is probably the quickest and easiest way to pick up HTML. Tho I would also invest time into studying CSS as well since that's the standard these days when it comes to altering elements.

Khan Academy?

Code Academy?

^^ This. Lynda.com may be better, but these are free ways to get started.

W3Schools is excellent but it's more of a textbook reference rather than something that is actively trying to teach you, so it might be a bit obtuse until you've got the basics down.

Hello,

I find that the easiest way is either Google, Youtube, or books! I have a great book called HTML & CSS. It's great because it explains everything clearly, and the pages are nice and easy to read :) And hey, it's even the number one book for Web Design on Amazon! :)

Heres a link to the book if your intrested:

UK link - http://www.amazon.co.uk/HTML-CSS-Design-Build-Sites/dp/1118008189/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416347131&sr=8-1&keywords=HTML+%26

US linl - http://www.amazon.com/HTML-CSS-Design-Build-Sites/dp/1118008189/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416347131&sr=8-1&keywords=HTML+%26

Sorry if your from another country, I don't know the links for any other countrys :P

I hope this helped!

Thanks,

~ Harry

It seems impossible until it's done.

Real men start with assembler. Or at least ADA.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

W3 Schools, Codecademy.

(Maybe even F12 on a webpage? :) )

I'm probably playing a game right now...

• 2 weeks later...

HTML isn't actually a programming language, it is a markup language. If web development is where you want to go it is a great place to start. 

I honestly prefer w3schools. Every language I have learned has not been from watching other people do it. Thus the reason I don't like to learn from the Youtube videos. I find that if I watch other people write code and read other people's code that I begin to write code the same way they do. I like to have my own uniqueness. Codecadamy is good because it allows you to walk through it with tons of help along the way. Personally I prefer to learn how the functions work and try to implement them myself. If they don't work I begin to debug. It may not be the most efficient way, but I definitely learn the right and wrong way to do things.

I wish you the best of luck. Skilled programming is an art. Don't take it lightly, expect to invest quite a bit of time. I don't know if this applies to everyone or not, but prepare to become a perfectionist.

I've recently had a success learning html and the necessary css and js through 'code academy'. Ive also 80% through there more detailed js class. All really good for a beginner. Might be a bit tedious if you already have a coding back ground. 

• 3 weeks later...

Codecademy.com is free and really nice. I highly recommend it. It also has a built-in forum for questions.

JUST. BUILD. WEBSITES.

OK, so a little background. I'm a career web designer and front-end developer. The way I learned to build, the way I tell the students I mentor to learn to build is you just build websites. I promise you building websites is actually really easy. There are better ways and worse ways but aside from never using tables for layouts there isn't really a wrong way. You'll learn all of that as you go but mostly the quickest and easiest thing to do is just to build websites. There really is no substitute.

But it's all a little scary and it's hard to know where to start, right? Well pick something simple and try to build it. When you get stuck do what us professionals do: Google it or ask on forums. I've been doing this for over a decade now and I spend a fair amount of time Googling how to do something.

To help, there's one website that I would suggest you browse: http://www.css-tricks.com/ The guy who runs this is named Chris Coyier. He's one of the biggest names in front-end development, definitely an expert on the subject and on his website he has in-depth guides and examples for everything. And I do mean everything. If you do ever manage to find a bug he doesn't know about (I pulled it off once for some really obscure Safari 5.0.x text bug) if you tell him about it, give him a working example, he'll drop it into his site for everyone else.

I'd also recommend you sign up for the e-mail newsletter http://sidebar.io/. They always have good stuff, be it nifty new techniques to just cool sites.

There are more around, A List Apart and 24 Ways being two of the bigger names around.

One of the best exercises I've given students in the past who want to learn how to build web pages is to just tell them to find a nice print layout they like and then to recreate it on a web page.

Anyway, practice is what will make you good at this sort of stuff. The fundamentals are the kind of thing you can get in a weekend (what elements are for what, the difference between inline and block elements, basic CSS properties and rules...) but it takes a while to really master them. That mastery comes through just doing it.

As for tools, you can use Notepad for all it matters, but your better bet is to get something like Sublime Text or Atom (like Sublime but from GitHub). They're free and they'll give you things like auto-indenting and syntax highlighting. Plus either will grow with you as you go. I have my installation of Sublime all tricked out with custom themes, snippets, syntax rule checks, auto-prefixing stuff for the more advanced parts of CSS3 (who really wants to remember all the versions of Flexbox and gradients? I sure don't)...

If you are set on learning it then you do not need any help from us. Just open Google and get to it.

I would like to recommend htmldog.com, however. I found it to be one of the better tutorial/reference websites out there.

I learned the basics on codecademy.com, (That site is awesome!) then I just started a project and used stackoverflow(or is it stackexchange?) to answer any other problems I had.  CSS is also important if you are going to learn HTML, and then if you learn JavaScript you REALLY should also pick up jQuery to go with it.  I am currently trying to learn the basics of PHP so as to be able to cover websites entirely.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

After I'm done with a page or whatever I'm doing, I like to validate the code with http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input. It finds any unclosed tags or obsolete tags which I sometimes find decently useful.

Be careful with how much you listen to validators, they only care about how closely you follow the spec. We used to be more more concerned about full validation, then CSS3 and a bunch of stuff in HTML 5 came along, stuff that was perfectly safe to use if you had fallbacks. The validators threw errors for that stuff like crazy...

It can be good to use them, especially when you're starting out, but every time you get an error look it up and decide whether or not it's important.