Which does more work, FX 8350 or i5 4690k?

The thing is, I plan on buying a new PC soon, and I just can't decide on the processor. FX 8350 fits my budget better, I can -barely- afford an i5-4690k with a bit of pain. I tend to use BOINC in a 16/7 schedule, so I said to myself "well, let's see how they fare in BOINC".

But then comes the problem. From the info I gathered:

-the quad core i5 will run applications much faster than the FX.
-however, the FX has 8 cores, so it will run 8 applications at once, as opposed to only 4 applications on the i5's side.
-however #2, I've heard that each of the 4 pairs of cores share the same floating point unit "processor"; as such, each core's performance (for boinc at least) is halved, and the FX would act as a 4 cores processor, and therefore lose to the i5.

I'm kinda.... lost here. As for the prices where I live, the i5 4690k costs about 1/3 more than the FX. The FX costs as much as an i5-3330, so that would be a suitable comparison as well.

If anyone could shed me a bit of light, I'd appreciate it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

The cores are not everything my friend the architecture is more important.Get the i5 is better and beside even in multitasking if you compare a 6 or 8 core intel cpu it will smoke anything from amd.

Beside you don't need 8 cores for gaming anyway

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-vs-AMD-FX-8350

With that information i think it would be best to get the FX 8350 and just OC it rather than spending that money on the i%, but ultimately it is which one do you want, each will require a different MOBO, which MOBO for your price do you prefer etc.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 240GB
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500GB
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W

Spoiler
If you are new please read the CoC!

Please FOLLOW YOUR OWN THREADS!

Quote people when replying to them.

PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR DARK THEME USERS.

Mark your problem as solved if answered and like all helpful information.

DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES(!) just type -pic- or tag them as spoiler.

Don't criticize people for asking "stupid question".

There is actually a hidden search feature on the forums here: Search 

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A FANBOY/FANGIRL. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU DON'T LET THAT EFFECT YOUR HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS.

DO NOT POST SPAM!

Even the i5-3330 is better than the FX, so yeah, there you go.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

I only read till "soon" .. please don't bother buying FX anymore. go straight for the i5 it performs 90% better in whatever you try to use out there. BUT if you are very low on budget.. you can buy.. nah im kiddin. if you're low, wait a bit longer or lend some money and get the i5. :D

The blood on to your heart start pumping faster when you notice me.

But is ok.

Judge me for my nickname, my avatar and for the low amounts of posts I have. I will keep your heart beat raised.

Beside you don't need 8 cores for gaming anyway

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-vs-AMD-FX-8350

With that information i think it would be best to get the FX 8350 and just OC it rather than spending that money on the i%, but ultimately it is which one do you want, each will require a different MOBO, which MOBO for your price do you prefer etc.

I already know about gaming with FX or the i5. I know the i5 is far superior in that department, and that cores really don't matter in games. And I know that intel's cores are different than AMD's, with the i7-XXXX with more than 4 cores just crushing AMD FX.

But that really isn't the info I'm looking for. I looking for a specific application here, and how those 2 processors compare.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I already know about gaming with FX or the i5. I know the i5 is far superior in that department, and that cores really don't matter in games. And I know that intel's cores are different than AMD's, with the i7-XXXX with more than 4 cores just crushing AMD FX.

But that really isn't the info I'm looking for. I looking for a specific application here, and how those 2 processors compare.

Not sure what to say and i will tell you why.You want this for folding or something and i get it BUT even tho the amd have 8 core i am not sure of it's performance since i never had one.technically in multi-threading and boinc the fx should take the lead BUT you will need a nice cpu cooler that fx is a heater

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

The FX-8350 is like the workhorse (donkey) that could and just refuses to die after everything you throw at it. :D It is a space heater though.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

Take the i5. It is better in 90% of all benchmarks. But if you really are short on money take the FX. There is a ~50€  difference between them where I live. 

But if you can spend those 50€ you are better in the long terms with the i5

if you are not overclocking you dont need the 4670k, you could go for the 4460 and a cheaper mobo.

If you are overclocking the 4670k will destroy the 8350 in everything that uses less than 6 cores. If the application supports perfect distribution on 8 cores, the 8350 is on pair with the i5. But i would still go for the i5 as it has more solid performance all around