Haswell Xeon With Iris Pro Confirmed for Christmas!

TB will be motherboard-dependent. All of Intel's Xeons and I7s carry TB support post Sandybridge.

If I had ANY questions about overclocking, I would probably go for that i7 4790-like Xeon (forgot name) because its binned to a higher standard and has more supported "goodies" and performs better for less $$$

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

If I had ANY questions about overclocking, I would probably go for that i7 4790-like Xeon (forgot name) because its binned to a higher standard and has more supported "goodies" and performs better for less $$$

BCLK overclocking on Xeons is usually at best a 10% gain.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I chalk most of that up to having HBM, which can be used as LLC.

It would be nice to see AMD utilizing HBM as L3 on Carrizo that would ultimately help explain such a jump in IPC on top of architecture improvements. It has a higher latency than traditional L3 but I guess it's better then not having any L3 at all. If AMD does utilize HBM as L3 I see them making a turn in the market where producing flagship products no longer spark their interest (FX). In given time APU's will become the new flagship product for them (already are, 73% of AMD revenue is from APU's). As the market slowly (but surely) is moving towards heterogeneous computing. I wouldn't mind having a Zen based 6 core APU with 1 GB of HBM packing even just 4 CU's. Tho I think AMD is relying on software to adapt heterogeneous computing over time to where having more serial performance means very little. A prime example is how LibreOffice performance jumped up to 8x with HSA versus traditional serial processing. AMD has been living through their APU's and honestly I hope Carrizo is another game changer for them. It may be something I sell my A10-6800k + HD 5870 based rig just to run everything off the APU.

It would be nice to see AMD utilizing HBM as L3 on Carrizo that would ultimately help explain such a jump in IPC on top of architecture improvements. It has a higher latency than traditional L3 but I guess it's better then not having any L3 at all. If AMD does utilize HBM as L3 I see them making a turn in the market where producing flagship products no longer spark their interest (FX). In given time APU's will become the new flagship product for them (already are, 73% of AMD revenue is from APU's). As the market slowly (but surely) is moving towards heterogeneous computing. I wouldn't mind having a Zen based 6 core APU with 1 GB of HBM packing even just 4 CU's. Tho I think AMD is relying on software to adapt heterogeneous computing over time to where having more serial performance means very little. A prime example is how LibreOffice performance jumped up to 8x with HSA versus traditional serial processing. AMD has been living through their APU's and honestly I hope Carrizo is another game changer for them. It may be something I sell my A10-6800k + HD 5870 based rig just to run everything off the APU.

Now if only LibreOffice didn't break every time I made a document with tables... Microsoft Office is about the only reason Microsoft remains standing I swear...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I'll gladly take that as an option as well. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Now Xeons get igpu's? Whats next?

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Heterogeneous computing. :)

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

It's pretty much mandatory otherwise Intel will lose their server market share completely to AMD like they have been. APU's are the future as AMD claimed years ago and here they are taking over most infrastructure.

Far more powerful HTPCs sound like a good proposition especially for space-starved living rooms and workplaces.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

I'm wondering if you could get a double socket motherboard and run them in SLI/crossfire (the Igpu's).

I'm wondering if you could get a double socket motherboard and run them in SLI/crossfire (the Igpu's).

You could run the CPUs in a dual socket board if it the CPUs have QPI. But, in terms of clustering iGPUs, I don't think it works at a driver or hardware level. There may be a way to do it with OpenCL, although there will probably be some overhead. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Wish the base clock was at least 3.2GHz.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

http://ark.intel.com/products/79475/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1284L-v3-6M-Cache-1_80-GHz#@product/specifications

http://blogs.citrix.com/2014/05/07/intel-discloses-new-xeon-e3-processor-with-intel-iris-pro-graphics-at-synergy/

I'm disappointed by the CPU clock speed (should be turbo to 4GHz), but this looks like Intel is testing the waters to see who will buy Iris Pro on desktop. Honestly, for anyone looking to get into CAD who can't afford the Quadro or FirePro, it looks like the solution has been found. The product is not yet launched, but it's set for Q4 2014, so it should be out by Christmas. 

Any amateur CAD/3D people here who want to give this a spin?

No cos the're gonna be mediocre at best and at worst a pile of horsecrap. It isn't a dedicated gpu so of course it will be shit. Iris Pro last year was as powerful as a GT 640. This year maybe as powerful as a 650.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

No cos the're gonna be mediocre at best and at worst a pile of horsecrap. It isn't a dedicated gpu so of course it will be shit. Iris Pro last year was as powerful as a GT 640. This year maybe as powerful as a 650.

On paper, as powerful. In real life, it's about a 650 already. 6200 is also as powerful as the 660 on paper, so we'll see where it lands. Also, I said amateurs: people without a large budget to afford said dGPU.

Sounds like this would be a pretty good fit for the type of work I do. It's primarily 2D AutoCAD (version 2014) so we don't need full blown super-expensive workstation dGPUs as they would be massively overkill. But we also need pretty powerful CPUs for all the multi-tasking.

Seems like a more specialized APU designed and intended primarily for workstation applications, not for budget gaming. If Intel wants to compete with AMD on the APU/budget gaming front, they will have to come up with something far less expensive.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Sounds like this would be a pretty good fit for the type of work I do. It's primarily 2D AutoCAD (version 2014) so we don't need full blown super-expensive workstation dGPUs as they would be massively overkill. But we also need pretty powerful CPUs for all the multi-tasking.

Seems like a more specialized APU designed and intended primarily for workstation applications, not for budget gaming. If Intel wants to compete with AMD on the APU/budget gaming front, they will have to come up with something far less expensive.

Not really. Carrizo's sticker price is going to be higher than Kaveri's launch price whether AMD fans want to admit it or not. AMD either has to sell Carrizo at a loss at the original Kaveri price or it has to raise prices to get the thin margins it had before due to the added cost of HBM.

Also, the Broadwell iGPU increased throughput per EU by 40% while adding 20% more EUs as well. Yes you still have to pay for Intel's CPU performance, but who honestly wouldn't? Is $100 more really a stretch for a more future-proof chip?

Not really. Carrizo's sticker price is going to be higher than Kaveri's launch price whether AMD fans want to admit it or not. AMD either has to sell Carrizo at a loss at the original Kaveri price or it has to raise prices to get the thin margins it had before due to the added cost of HBM.

Also, the Broadwell iGPU increased throughput per EU by 40% while adding 20% more EUs as well. Yes you still have to pay for Intel's CPU performance, but who honestly wouldn't? Is $100 more really a stretch for a more future-proof chip?

You and I have had this discussion before. When it comes down to someone wanting to game and ONLY has X amount of $ to spend, they will not spend the extra $100 on the Intel part for several reasons. A high-end CPU is not necessary for gaming, so there's no need to spend more to get the same (or similar) gaming performance. If one can afford the Intel part, they're still better off buying a cheaper CPU without an iGPU and pairing that with a dGPU as that will give even better performance per dollar.

These Iris pro chips make very little to no sense for budget/entry-level gaming applications. They seem (to me anyways) much more suited for workstation applications where light to medium-duty compute along with some rendering performance is required.

The 7850K was more expensive than the 6800K on launch, unsurprisingly. And most likely Carrizo will cost more than the 7850K on launch. Nobody's denying that (not me anyways). But even if it is $200-250, it will still be significantly less expensive than any i7 or Xeon with the latest Iris Pro. They're competing in different markets with different intended uses. Pricing aside, it will still be very interesting to compare the two across a wide range of applications (gaming, compute, rendering etc.) and see how they stack up.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Broadwell will be at best with a 750, and like 750ti, 650ti boost, 265 by Skylake.

Not bad considering a high end haswell chip is a 650

You and I have had this discussion before. When it comes down to someone wanting to game and ONLY has X amount of $ to spend, they will not spend the extra $100 on the Intel part for several reasons. A high-end CPU is not necessary for gaming, so there's no need to spend more to get the same (or similar) gaming performance. If one can afford the Intel part, they're still better off buying a cheaper CPU without an iGPU and pairing that with a dGPU as that will give even better performance per dollar.

These Iris pro chips make very little to no sense for budget/entry-level gaming applications. They seem (to me anyways) much more suited for workstation applications where light to medium-duty compute along with some rendering performance is required.

The 7850K was more expensive than the 6800K on launch, unsurprisingly. And most likely Carrizo will cost more than the 7850K on launch. Nobody's denying that (not me anyways). But even if it is $200-250, it will still be significantly less expensive than any i7 or Xeon with the latest Iris Pro. They're competing in different markets with different intended uses. Pricing aside, it will still be very interesting to compare the two across a wide range of applications (gaming, compute, rendering etc.) and see how they stack up.

If Carrizo has HBM, i'm sure the higher price sorta welcomed because you could use a little less system ram and at a lower speed.

Computing enthusiast.