chromecast as hdmi cable?

JewishBacon

So I had this thought that recently:  I'm thinking about getting a TV and using as a TV on my cable box (duh), as well as a third monitor on my PC I can use Netflix/game on etc. would I be able to use the Windows extend screen feature with it or is it pretty much just limited to what the Windows "duplicate" screen would do?

STEAM NAME: JewishBacon GPU  Sapphire dual x R9 280x OC edition CPU core i7 4770k stock speed COOLER H100i  CASE Fractal R4 Window Black  MOBO MSI gd-65 gaming Storage 1TB WD Blue drive, 1TB Samsung 7200 rpm, 120 GB OCZ SSD, 64 GB WD Blue ssd  RAM 12 GB @ 1600 Ghz kingston RAM  MiscNZXT HUE, disk read/write, 2x 21 inch 1920x1080 monitors   

From what I've read and worked with the Chromecast is only able to mirror a tab or desktop. your best bet for extending to a third screen is a hdmi cable.

Source: Has a chromecast

From what I've read and worked with the Chromecast is only able to mirror a tab or desktop. your best bet for extending to a third screen is a hdmi cable.

Source: Has a chromecast

hmm thr issue with that is I would have to run it across a hallway. Oh well....

STEAM NAME: JewishBacon GPU  Sapphire dual x R9 280x OC edition CPU core i7 4770k stock speed COOLER H100i  CASE Fractal R4 Window Black  MOBO MSI gd-65 gaming Storage 1TB WD Blue drive, 1TB Samsung 7200 rpm, 120 GB OCZ SSD, 64 GB WD Blue ssd  RAM 12 GB @ 1600 Ghz kingston RAM  MiscNZXT HUE, disk read/write, 2x 21 inch 1920x1080 monitors   

Chromecast only allows you to stream Chrome web browser from your system. Well you can share your screen, but expect poor performance. Also, keep in mind that Chromecast does heavy image compression, making text hard to read.

Chromecast is better used to use it's built-in applications, and start like the YouTube app, and play a video.

What you want is Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, which uses miracast standard. Yes it cost more, but if your device is close to the adapter, you will have very little lag, and great image quality (based on reviews). You can also use any device with it: Windows PC that supports miracast broadcasting, Android Phone or Tablet and Windows Phone (of course).

I don't have such device to know if you can set the TV to extended with the above device.

Update: Yes you can! With the Microsoft Wireless Display.

Watch the video at the 6min mark:

You'll notice the super low latency delay which is impressive for this kind of device, and how you can make it a second screen, sharp image, and how you can have the resolution of the monitor/TV different than the computer/device you are using.

For 60$, it really seam to rival the far more expensive options out there. Hmm, I am thinking of buying one now.

@GoodBytes huh, this looks promising! now all I have to do is find $60. I presume it does not have the streaming apps like chromecast or ROKU? but then again, pcmasterrace can do all that on its own. 

oh wait...it looks like I have to use windows 8.1 this could be an issue

oh wait...it looks like I have to use windows 8.1 this could be an issue

There are wireless HDMI kits too, a little costlier though.

@GoodBytes huh, this looks promising! now all I have to do is find $60. I presume it does not have the streaming apps like chromecast or ROKU? but then again, pcmasterrace can do all that on its own.

Correct. It does 1 thing and one thing only, and that is stream. No Apps.