Video Gear For A Beginner - Are These Good Enough?

Neighbor001

I'm only a student and I want my videos to be better. Although I have made a lot of videos in the past, most of them I have shot with an iPhone, some with DSLRs I have borrowed from my friends. I know an iPhone is good enough for video, but it just isn't enough, you know what I mean. So, I came up with the following gear, are these alright?

Panasonic Lumix LX7
Zoom H1 Recorder
Zoom AP1 Accessory Pack

Would going the DSLR route be a better option? I did not consider it since most cameras in my budget only shoot in 30. The LX7 can shoot in 60 and 120 at 1280x720. Or would a mirrorless camera be a better option?

What's your budget?

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

it mostly depends on what your budget is for what would be the best.

altough i would look for an other mic for sure, since google images showed a "how to repair" image  near the top, wich doesn't promise anything good imo.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

The H1 is decent, and it's going to be better than whatever mic is in the camera. I went with a Tascam recorder, but mostly because I thought it looked better. The technical differences were pretty much a push.

As far as camera goes, I'd try to step up to an interchangeable lens. The lens on the LX7 is very nice, but there will probably come a time where you need more lens than what you're stuck with. Not to mention the sensor on that camera is smaller than even the m4/3 sensors, so low light could be difficult even though that lens is f/1.4-2.3.

What are you going to be shooting? Just because in video games, higher framerates are better, the same isn't true with video/motion picture. The only real benefit to shooting at higher framerates in video is for slow motion. And from the specs sheet on BH Photo, it looks like it's just 60fps for 1080p and 720p, no 120fps (that I saw). If you're going for more 'cinematic' footage, look for something that can do 24fps.

First of all good job on getting a proper audio solution.

Does your budget have room for lights? Even a set of work lamps, an extension cord and a reflector will go a long way.

• 2 weeks later...

looks ok, but you will need to invest in more things, like jigs, tripop/monopod, lights etc