Looking to buy a better camera

Tam3n

So I've been thinking of buying a better camera for a while now. I currently have a Olympus RV-350, which I got as a present few years ago. This camera is quite cheap model that is even beaten by most new mobile phones in image quality... I guess it's only good feature is 10x zoom lol. I want something that has a chance of fitting in a large pocket with good image quality and RAW support would be a plus. I was thinking of getting one with weather resistance (semi water proof), but the available options (mainly Olympus TG-3) don't quite seem to have the image quality I'm looking for.

After some research I'm thinking of getting this camera http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/16500/dhfrg/Sony-DSC-RX100-digikamera#product-history

Tadaa - my choice might not come as a surprise. I know RX100 also has newer versions II and III, but they don't seem to offer enough improvements over the first model to justify the higher price.

Unless you know of some better alternatives I think I'm going to buy this.

I guess this camera doesn't come with a memory card, so I need to buy one? Any performance differences between different cards?

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Canon G16

Canon G1 X

Sony RX100 series

@Tam3n

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

• 4 months later...

I have the olympus TG-3 and its durable alright I took it scuba diving, but its zoom is lacking and will not do what you want.  I don't mind it though as it meets my expectations

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has five different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salted sheep heads

Initially what you want to look for is a Enthusiast compact camera, things like Lx100, Stylus 1, LX7 Lf1, rx100, But if you can afford RX1, X100T

the ones I most recomend are LX100, stylus1, or rx100.

but if you aren't used to the small focal length, then you can tryout LF1 

I have the olympus TG-3 and its durable alright I took it scuba diving, but its zoom is lacking and will not do what you want.  I don't mind it though as it meets my expectations

Initially what you want to look for is a Enthusiast compact camera, things like Lx100, Stylus 1, LX7 Lf1, rx100, But if you can afford RX1, X100T

the ones I most recomend are LX100, stylus1, or rx100.

but if you aren't used to the small focal length, then you can tryout LF1 

Keep in mind, this was posted in November of last year. 

Thread locked.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB