November 14, 2014 - The WAN Show Document

LinusTech

Crowd-sourced table of contents: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SFdsFIYpeoeKNUqtic9LPgesVuJW533E8M07FizQDYM/edit?usp=sharing

News

Amd Releasing Public Mantle Sdk This Year.

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Teraflop

Source 2: wccftech.com [ADS]

• AMD has stated that both Nvidia and Intel are free to use the API as they please

• AMD will not ask for licensing fees or impose any such restrictions.

• Intel is certainly interested in AMD’s proposition. It had already approached the company about Mantle earlier in the year.

• Microsoft and Khronos are borrowing many aspects of the low level API that should hopefully bear fruit once DX12 and OpenGL NG come to market.

• Users would very much like to enjoy the benefits of something like Mantle but it may not be something that Nvidia is willing to cooperate with.

•  

Ubisoft Responds To Low Frame Rates In Assassin'S Creed Unity

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Obscuremammal

Source 2: pcper.com

• claim that AC:U is one of the most detailed games on the market

• giant open world city with tens of thousands of objects visible on screen

• “Paris is incredibly detailed. For example, Notre-Dame itself is millions of triangles.”

• global illumination, local reflections, realistic high-dynamic range lighting

• talked about scaling down quality to allow for lower system requirements but decided against it

• “our position always came back to us ensuring that Assassin’s Creed Unity is a next-gen only game with breakthrough graphics. With this vision, we did not degrade the visual quality of the game.”

• targeted existing PC hardware, not future cards

• continuing working on optimization post-launch through software updates

• “You’ll hear more details shortly”

KEEP ON DIGGIN’ SHIRT: http://teespring.com/keepondiggin

At&T Will Stop Investing In High-Speed Fiber Internet Until Net Neutrality Rules Decided

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Dietrichw

Source 2: theverge.com

• AT&T to stop investing in a plan to bring high-speed fiber connections to 100 US cities

• don’t want to invest until they know the lay of the land with the new rules

• also stated that the FCC would face years worth of litigation if they decide to pass tough rules

• this was after Obama recommended that the FCC classify the internet as Title II, which would treat it like a utility

Fcc Chairman Says He May Ignore Obama On Net Neutrality!

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Tech Dreamer

Source 2: engadget.com

Source 3: washingtonpost.com

Source 4: linustechtips.com

• Tom Wheeler (chairman) met with officials from Google, Yahoo, Etsy, other web companies

• told them he prefers a more “nuanced” situation

• “What you want is what everyone wants: an open Internet that doesn’t affect your business. What I’ve got to figure out is how to split the baby.”

• plans to deliver some of what Obama wants as well as address some of the concerns of ISPs

• Wheeler reminded the participants in the meeting that the FCC does not answer to the White House

• “I am an independent agency.”

• Obama also made that very clear in his statement from early this week

• administration aides are worried that striking a compromise between open-Internet advocates and telecom firms would result in murky, ineffective rules

The End Of Black Friday And Electronic Sales?

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Supermangik

Source 2: marketwatch.com

• Wal Mart spreads promotions over 1 week rather than 1 day

• competitors like Best Buy have actually doubled down and are advertising their sales online

• looks like Wal Mart’s decision is in reaction to the lack of customers that are willing to line up for the possibility of getting the “one unit only” sales

Youtube Introduces Youtube Music Key (Subscription Service)

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Rafbanaan

Source 2: officialandroid.blogspot.com

Source 3: play.google.com

Source 4: youtube.com

Source 5: youtube-global.blogspot.be

• currently going out in beta

• monthly subscription service $9.99/month (discounted to $7.99 for now)

• ad-free music, background play on mobile and offline viewing

• includes a subscription to Google Play Music with 30+ million songs

• invite only right now

• those who get invites get to try it out free for 6 months

Sharp'S Latest Igzo Prototype Sets The Stage For 4K Phablets

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Obscuremammal

Source 2: techon.nikkeibp.co.jp

Source 3: techreport.com

• 2560x1600 on a 4.1" panel.

• 736 PPI (Samsung's Galaxy Note 4 is 515 PPI, Google's Nexus 6 is 493 PPI, and Apple's iPhone 6 Plus is 401 PPI)

• 11.5-µm pixels will likely be impossible to see with the naked eye.

• Higher-density displays typically require more power to achieve the same brightness levels. Discuss iMac 5K display here?

• Mass production will reportedly begin in 2016.

Velocity Micro: Nvidia/Samsung Feud Is Not Our Fight

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Victorious Secret

Source 2: blogs.nvidia.com

Source 3: tomshardware.com

• Samsung has filed a countersuit against Nvidia and has named Velocity Micro in the suit

• this is in response to the patent suit Nvidia filed against Samsung and Qualcomm in September

• Velocity Micro is a PC builder in Virginia

• the only connection that has been found between Velocity Micro and Nvidia is that VM uses Nvidia hardware in some of the PCs they build

• countersuit covers 8 patents, all of which are apparently violated by Velocity Micro, 6 of which are violated by Nvidia

• David Shannon from Nvidia indicated that Samsung has named VM because they want to keep the legal proceedings in Virginia

• the state is known for its speedy processing

• Randy Copeland, CEO of VM, wrote an open letter to the public

• “We know nothing about the previous issues between Samsung and Nvidia, and we don’t care.”

• response seems bitter, and he mentions that the boutique builder will have to use company resources to defend itself from Samsung

• “If this is how Samsung operates, we want no part of it, and we hope others agree and consider this during this upcoming holiday shopping season.”

Ubisoft Stock Down 9.33%

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Imthewalrus

Source 2: linustechtips.com

Source 3: linustechtips.com

Source 4: kitguru.net

Source 5: finance.yahoo.com

Source 6: finance.yahoo.com

• stock falls to $3.29 per share after ACU launch

• may not be indicative of long-term struggle, but it is a definite warning sign

• we may not see a resurgence for a while if they keep doing stuff like this imgur.com (patching microtransactions before gameplay) [this post has now been pulled from their Facebook page]

• also not handing out review codes for Far Cry 4 to some PC sites pcgamer.com - not a great sign - can also discuss the way the embargo was handled for AC:U and Total Biscuit’s comment on how he will no longer accept review copies of games with post launch embargos

Gigabyte Presents Geforce Gtx 980 Waterforce Tri-Sli Kit - Water Cooling + 3X 980 Gpu Kit Like You Have Never Seen Before

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Goodbytes

Source 2: techpowerup.com

• 3 GTX 980s in tri-SLI with a water cooling kit

• fully assembled in the factory

• each card is factory-overclocked to 1228 MHz core, 1329 MHz GPU boost, 7 GHz memory

• each card has an independent 120mm radiator

• front panel can control fan speeds and coolant pressure of each of the three loops

• LCD display shows coolant temps and fan speed readouts

• custom 3-way SLI bridge

• also includes a support system to counteract PCB bending

• no pricing or availability details yet

[Rumour] R9 390X Fiji XT

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Paragon X

Source 2: kitguru.net

Source 3: sisoftware.eu

• May feature 4096 stream processors. (64 Compute and 256 Texture Units)

• 4096-bit memory bus.

• Memory will rely on SK Hynix’s stacked high bandwidth memory (HBM) chips with 1024-bit input/output.

• Only supports 4GB of memory since the first-generation HBMs feature 2Gb DRAM dies and comes in 1GB memory devices, reports Wccftech. Second-generation HBM is expected to use 8Gb dies and therefore support 4GB and 8GB configurations.

• If it uses four first-generation HBM chips the actual memory bandwidth the graphics card will be 640GB/s.

•  

Sandisk Ultra DIMM DDR3 400Gb Ssd Enterprise Review

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Big Stroonz

Source 2: tweaktown.com [ADS]

Source 3: sandisk.com.br

• Connects flash storage to the memory channel via standard DIMM slots.

• It can achieve less than five microseconds write latency.

• Non-volatile.

• Removes complexity, components, and cabling from server designs.

• Offers 880MB/s sequential read and 600MB/s sequential write.

• 200 and 400GB capacities.

• MTBF: 2.5M hours

• 5 year warranty at 10 DWPD (Disk Full Writes Per Day) (~7128TB for 400GB)

• The flexible MCS architecture also provides a solid platform for future non-volatile memory technologies, and storage protocols.

• 128k results: tweaktown.com [ADS]

Bmw Is Developing Street Lights That Can Also Charge Your Electric Car..

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Tech Dreamer

• called “Light and Charge” LED street lights

• street lights equipped with sockets to charge EVs

• “Seamless charging infrastructure is essential if we want to see more electric vehicles on the road in our cities in the future” - Peter Schwarzenbauer, Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG

• Munich pilot will install the first charging lights

• can be grafted onto the existing local authority street lighting infrastructure

Google Phishing Survey

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Syntaxvgm

Source 3: services.google.com

Source 4: huffingtonpost.com

• 14% of people submit information to hackers.

• Google and UCSD looked at 100 phishing emails picked out of a random sample self-reported by Gmail users.

• The researchers also reviewed a random sample of 100 phishing websites caught by Google's Safe Browsing system to further understand how the scams work.

• These websites were all created through Google Forms, which is how researchers were able to access the data.

• Even on the worst-performing phishing websites, 3 percent of users still submitted their data. On the most effective phishing sites, as many as 45 percent did.

• Hackers spend an average of three minutes figuring out how much an account is worth once they have access, and will apparently move on if the account doesn't seem valuable enough.

• The hacker then tries try to get money from an account's contact list.

NVIDIA GRID Game Streaming Service Out of BETA and Other News

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: jesper101996

Source 2: nvidia.com

• NVIDIA GRID Game Streaming service meant to be “like Netflix for games”

• New server in Indiana in addition to existing one in California (EU & Asia to come)

• Free for SHIELD owners unitl June 2015

• complete games list here http://shield.nvidia.com/grid-game-list/

• Recommended 10Mbit/s down & 60ms ping or less to GRID server

• Shield tablet to get Android 5.0 Lollipop in a few days - Shield hub to be updated iwth Material Design guidelines shortly

• Shield Portable Lollipop support in the works

• Shield tablet (32GB LTE version) comes with Android versions of HL2, HL2:Ep1, and Portal

GTX 960 spotted on Shipment Record

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Big Stroonz

Source 2: techreport.com

• GTX 960 found in India import/export data.

• Record states 4GB of GDDR5, 256bit bus, 993MHz core and 6008 Mem

• Unclear whether this is base or boost speed.

• Price translates to $256 USD

Website that collects IP cams with default passwords.

Source 1: gizmodo.com

• Has found 73,000 cameras online.

• Some streaming from people’s bedrooms, or left in rooms to monitor babies.

• No way for the user to tell they are being watched.

• “This site has been designed in order to show the importance of the security settings”

• The site is clearly profiting from ads.

Assassin’s Creed’s Creator Launches New Studio

Source 1: gamespot.com

• Following his reported firing from Ubisoft last year, Assassin's Creed creator Patrice Desilets has opened a new studio in Montreal called Panache Digital Games.

• Panache's other co-founder is Jean-Francois Boivin, another former Ubisoft veteran who was fired in 2013 following Ubisoft's dismissal of Desilets.

• In June 2013, Desilets sued Ubisoft for $400,000 and the rights to purchase 1666, which he was working on at THQ Montreal before its collapse.

Ubisoft patches microtransactions before framerate issues

Source 1: http://imgur.com/bTGthi0

• Image in Source 1.

RAPID FIRE

Apple's Chip Suppliers 'Gearing Up' Production For Apple Watch

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Blaze756

Source 2: linustechtips.com

Source 3: macrumors.com

• Chip orders are estimated to be around 30 - 40 million units for a debut in early 2015.

• Stainless steel and gold editions will reportedly retail for prices starting at $500 and $4,000 respectively

Lenovo S90 (alleged iPhone 6 clone)

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Shadowcaptain

• Images in source 1.

• Quad-core Qualcomm processor, 1GB of RAM, 2,300mAh battery, a 13MP rear-facing camera, an 8MP front-facing camera, and ships with Android 4.4.4 KitKat.

• Costs $330 and is available exclusively in China.

nice, I was working today so I am very thankful that you upload the archives, I really hate it when I couldn't make a livestream but they don't upload it

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

My new favorite quote:

BANANA HAMMERS!

Spoiler

Main rig specs: i5-6500 (3.2 GHz), Cryorig H5 Universal, EVGA GTX 970 FTW+, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (2133MHz), Asus Z170i Pro Gaming, Samsung 950 PRO 256GB, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX, LG 3440x1440 Ultrawide.

1:29:00

Way to not mention my name on the wan show even though I made the topic

desk_flip.jpg

Come on! And you missed that the GTX 970 FINALLY has a reference cooler version available. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/250322-gtx-970-with-reference-cooler-now-available/#entry3432281

That's big news!

Do you hate me and @Aniallation ? lol jeeze

<_<

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Panache Digital Games

There is already a lingerie brand called Panache though.

I live to read.

Gigabyte Presents Geforce Gtx 980 Waterforce Tri-Sli Kit - Water Cooling + 3X 980 Gpu Kit Like You Have Never Seen Before

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Goodbytes

Source 2: techpowerup.com

Really? This comes as a surprise? I understand the news of using gtx980s, but you guys talked about it like the setup for waterforce was unheard of...

April 2014: (@1:20)

June 2014:

edit: just finished watching the wan show - love the lenovo phone - did they also load a skinned version of android to look like ios? If not they should!

Keeping people talking about net neutrality is so important. Thumbs up.

Canadians: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/net-neutrality-changes-in-u-s-could-impact-canada-1.2831423

AMERICANS: https://www.aclu.org/net-neutrality (there is a petition you can sign - click the action button at the bottom of the page "take action now')

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

Damn Time zones i always fall asleep- curse my body.

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

I'm so mad I missed the live broadcast. I wish I could see twitch chat during the ubisoft bashing section, must have been epic.

Totally going to be getting a "Keep on digging" shirt.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Great show as usual. :)

Is the off-center camera position intentional? Luke is slightly out of focus most of the time. :)

Hey linus you where talking about the memory bus size on gpu's and how they don't  make them as big as 512 bytes anymore because of the price. If I am correct this amd card does have a 512 byte memory bus.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1227&pid=2394&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150696

ok it is across all r9 290x. 

let me know if I am wrong.

oh and loved the show as always

Hey linus you where talking about the memory bus size on gpu's and how they don't  make them as big as 512 bytes anymore because of the price. If I am correct this amd card does have a 512 byte memory bus.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1227&pid=2394&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150696

ok it is across all r9 290x. 

let me know if I am wrong.

oh and loved the show as always

I didn't look at the particular clip again, but if I remember right, he was talking about NVIDIA, as they did the 384 and 256 bit cards instead.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

40:18

Really Linus?

jif?

jif?!

JIF?!?!?

1Kuukfn.jpg

It's a hard-G, Linus.... HARD-G

edit: 400th Post  :D

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

40:18

Really Linus?

jif?

jif?!

JIF?!?!?

1Kuukfn.jpg

It's a hard-G, Linus.... HARD-G

You are out of your damn mind. It's pronounced "jif". The creator even confirmed it. 

I and most people I know have always pronounced it that way. Doesn't matter to me how you pronounce it, but that's the proper way. 

muh specs 

All parts black

You are out of your damn mind. It's pronounced "jif". The creator even confirmed it. 

I and most people I know have always pronounced it that way. Doesn't matter to me how you pronounce it, but that's the proper way. 

su6iDFe.gif

Say it however you want, I'll always pronounce it "GIF", and I will always cringe when someone says it's a "JIF"

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

su6iDFe.gif

Say it however you want, I'll always pronounce it "GIF", and I will always cringe when someone says it's a "JIF"

Doesn't bother me either way

but

The creator has the last say. If I had a kid, I'm a man so I don't think that's possible but bare with me, if I had a kid, and named him/her something, and people tired to tell ME how to pronounce what I NAMED THEM, I would loose my shit.

muh specs 

All parts black

Doesn't bother me either way

but

The creator has the last say. If I had a kid, I'm a man so I don't think that's possible but bare with me, if I had a kid, and named him/her something, and people tired to tell ME how to pronounce what I NAMED THEM, I would loose my shit.

You have a point... 

still gonna call it a gif

it was so refreshing to see Linus in a purple t-shirt..@LinusTech Moar colors instead of regular black T's if possible please 

Details separate people.

Where is the rap song?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I think the reason that hardware companies are more humble and willing to accept criticisms is because hardware companies are run by engineers and they are interested in improving their product where gaming companies seems to prioritize profit