Speedbird's review of the Noctua NH-U14S

Speedbird

Hello and welcome to my review of Noctua's NH-U14S CPU cooler.

Introduction

The NH-U14S is designed with RAM compatibilty in mind. On the box, it's advertised to be compatible with all RAM on the LGA2011 socket and it should be good on other sockets. However, that's not what I needed from this cooler. In fact, I just needed some good cooler so I can overclock my CPU and have less noise. So why didn't I get the Hyper 212 EVO? Well, I just wanted to try Noctua this time. Everybody seems to praise their build quality, ease of installation and low noise. So I thought I'd give it a try.

Unboxing

This is what the box looks like:

post-87518-0-96688200-1415973715_thumb.j

As you can see, Noctua advertises full RAM compatibilty on LGA2011 and reasonable size for better overall compatibilty

Here's what you find when you open her up:

post-87518-0-64271400-1415973902_thumb.j

2 boxes containing the SecuFirm2 mounting system (which is universal across most Noctua coolers) and the accessory box

post-87518-0-16236300-1415973920_thumb.j

In the Intel box you'll find the backplate, mounting bars, screws and instructions. This is compatible with LGA115X and LGA2011-X, but if you're using it for 1366 or even 775, you can order the older SecuFirm hardware at their site.

post-87518-0-23091400-1415973933_thumb.j

Inside the AMD box are the mounting bars and screws. Noctua uses the stock AMD backplate found on most motherboards, but double-check at http://noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_mb&lng=en if your motherboard supports it. It should be compatible with AM2 and up, including FM1, FM2 and FM2+

And here's the cooler itself with the NF-A15 fan.

post-87518-0-91869900-1415973940_thumb.j

Installation (on FM2+)

Remove the stock cooler and clean the CPU.

post-87518-0-28106700-1415974677_thumb.j

Unscrew the stock AMD retention module

post-87518-0-68282800-1415974578_thumb.j

Now, you might hear the backplate pop off, and that's why the next part is the tricky part. You need to attach the backplate back to the board, now using Noctua's mounting hardware. I found that the easiest way to do this without removing the motherboard was to lay the case down (with the CPU facing up), stick your hand behind the motherboard tray, and hold the backplate steady while using the other hand to put a spacer in one hole and screwing the cooler to it, also attaching one corner of the backplate. Here's the first corner installed.

post-87518-0-22561700-1415974588_thumb.j

Continue the installation of the first mounting bar by adding another spacer, then screwing the bar through it. Do the same with the other bar. Here's the end result with thermal past applied.

post-87518-0-32044100-1415974597_thumb.j

SecuFirm2 is now installed. The actual cooler installation is very easy. First, dry fit the cooler without thermal paste. This will allow you to make sure that it has enough clearance. Now, apply the thermal paste of your choice (the included NT-H1 is good) any way you wish (I prefer the pea method), remove the fan from the heatsink, and place the heatsink on the CPU. Start screwing it in, do about 3 turns with one screw, then switch. Repeat until it's tight. Now reinstall the fan and connect it to the 4-pin CPU fan header in your board.

As you can see, I got plenty of RAM clearance on my board.

post-87518-0-18658700-1415974613_thumb.j

Before:

post-87518-0-73084600-1415975598_thumb.j

After:

post-87518-0-02466100-1415975611_thumb.j

Performance

Now, I can't really compare it with a ton of coolers really, but I can compare it with the AMD stock cooler.

AMD Stock HSF

Idle: 31C

Load (Prime95 Blend): 59C

Noctua NH-U14S

Load: (Prime95 Blend): 32C

Yes... 32C... It's that good, and also very quiet. Unfortunately, I forgot to record a noise sample of the AMD HSF, so I can't really compare noise with that.

Well, that's it for now. Thanks for reading.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

holy shit thats real good I might replace my messed up 212 evo with this one 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

It looks like you forgot to put a couple of photos in spoilers ;). They're quite large.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

It looks like you forgot to put a couple of photos in spoilers ;). They're quite large.

OK, fixing it now. Thanks.

Me likey. Time to start looking for one.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

OK, fixing it now. Thanks.

Swoit! :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Introduction

The NH-U14S is designed with RAM compatibilty in mind. On the box, it's advertised to be compatible with all RAM on the LGA2011 socket and it should be good on other sockets. However, that's not what I needed from this cooler. In fact, I just needed some good cooler so I can overclock my CPU and have less noise. So why didn't I get the Hyper 212 EVO? Well, I just wanted to try Noctua this time. Everybody seems to praise their build quality, ease of installation and low noise. So I thought I'd give it a try.

Unboxing

attachicon.gifIMAG0011_BURST002.jpg

As you can see, Noctua advertises full RAM compatibilty on LGA2011 and reasonable size for better overall compatibilty

attachicon.gifIMAG0012_BURST003.jpg

2 boxes containing the SecuFirm2 mounting system (which is universal across most Noctua coolers) and the accessory box

attachicon.gifIMAG0013.jpg

In the Intel box you'll find the backplate, mounting bars, screws and instructions. This is compatible with LGA115X and LGA2011-X, but if you're using it for 1366 or even 775, you can order the older SecuFirm hardware at their site.

attachicon.gifIMAG0015_BURST003.jpg

Inside the AMD box are the mounting bars and screws. Noctua uses the stock AMD backplate found on most motherboards, but double-check at http://noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_mb&lng=en if your motherboard supports it. It should be compatible with AM2 and up, including FM1, FM2 and FM2+

attachicon.gifIMAG0018.jpg

Installation (on FM2+)

attachicon.gifIMAG0020.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0021.jpg

Now, you might hear the backplate pop off, and that's why the next part is the tricky part. You need to attach the backplate back to the board, now using Noctua's mounting hardware. I found that the easiest way to do this without removing the motherboard was to lay the case down (with the CPU facing up), stick your hand behind the motherboard tray, and hold the backplate steady while using the other hand to put a spacer in one hole and screwing the cooler to it, also attaching one corner of the backplate. Here's the first corner installed.

attachicon.gifIMAG0022.jpg

Continue the installation of the first mounting bar by adding another spacer, then screwing the bar through it. Do the same with the other bar. Here's the end result with thermal past applied.

attachicon.gifIMAG0024.jpg

SecuFirm2 is now installed. The actual cooler installation is very easy. First, dry fit the cooler without thermal paste. This will allow you to make sure that it has enough clearance. Now, apply the thermal paste of your choice (the included NT-H1 is good) any way you wish (I prefer the pea method), remove the fan from the heatsink, and place the heatsink on the CPU. Start screwing it in, do about 3 turns with one screw, then switch. Repeat until it's tight. Now reinstall the fan and connect it to the 4-pin CPU fan header in your board.

attachicon.gifIMAG0028.jpg

Before:

attachicon.gifIMAG0010_BURST001.jpg

After:

attachicon.gifIMAG0029.jpg

Performance

Now, I can't really compare it with a ton of coolers really, but I can compare it with the AMD stock cooler.

AMD Stock HSF

Noctua NH-U14S

Yes... 32C... It's that good, and also very quiet. Unfortunately, I forgot to record a noise sample of the AMD HSF, so I can't really compare noise with that.

nice this is great news also what is that application method called it looks like a radiation warning sticker

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

nice this is great news also what is that application method called it looks like a radiation warning sticker

It was my attempt at the pea method :D

I find it really hard to believe that P95 load is only 1 degree higher then idle if ambient temp and other testing conditions were the same. If you could strap that cooler to my phone's CPU somehow, it would still heat up more then 1 degree under idle vs stress testing load.

"Rawr XD"

What are you ambient temperatures? This is all meaningless without it.

About 20C

Now that's a good air cooler. Better than my 212 can manage: It does 53 degrees load in OCCT. Were you running stock settings?

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Now that's a good air cooler. Better than my 212 can manage: It does 53 degrees load in OCCT. Were you running stock settings?

Yes.

Still a great result though, didn't expect it to do that good.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Introduction

Unboxing

attachicon.gifIMAG0011_BURST002.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0012_BURST003.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0013.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0015_BURST003.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0018.jpg

Installation (on FM2+)

attachicon.gifIMAG0020.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0021.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0022.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0024.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0028.jpg

Before:

attachicon.gifIMAG0010_BURST001.jpg

After:

attachicon.gifIMAG0029.jpg

Performance

AMD Stock HSF

Noctua NH-U14S

those temps seem too low. i think you need to overclock and add more voltage :P

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

those temps seem too low. i think you need to overclock and add more voltage :P

I did.

I did.

how much?

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

4.3 GHz, 1.608V

and its still 32c

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

It was my attempt at the pea method :D

Some constructive criticism, that pretzel may cost you a few degrees. You're basically opening up the paste to air pockets (hot spots) directly over the where the die meets the IHS. The pea method is just a simple dot, you hold still and squeeze until you have a dot. Not the size of a pea as that's simply too much (less is more) but more along the lines of in between a BB and a pea.

and its still 32c

Nope, about 57C.

Nope, about 57C.

thats better :P

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Unrelated to OP's post but, what processor are you gonna put in your H81M-P33? I'm thinking of doing a build with the same mobo with the G3258 and was thinking if it would OC to like 4.0-4.2 (Stock cooler first) then 4.4 when I get a cooler same as yours.

Unrelated to OP's post but, what processor are you gonna put in your H81M-P33? I'm thinking of doing a build with the same mobo with the G3258 and was thinking if it would OC to like 4.0-4.2 (Stock cooler first) then 4.4 when I get a cooler same as yours.

G3258, but it's not my PC. It will be for my grandparents.

G3258, but it's not my PC. It will be for my grandparents.

Have u tried OC-ing it? I'm kinda anxious since it's my first PC Build and don't wanna regret any of my buys. 8D

Sorry if out of topic again :/