xbox one into steam machine?

Diesay

Are there any tech savy people out there that could answer this?

is it possible to convert an x box one into a steam machine by either installing a version of windows or steam os?

and yes i know it would probly not be that difficult to build a pc to compete I am curious because i remember seeing on youtube i believe some one running linux on an x box 360.

is it possible to convert an x box one into a steam machine by either installing a version of windows or steam os?

and yes i know it would probly not be that difficult to build a pc to compete I am curious because i remember seeing on youtube i believe some one running linux on an x box 360.

I've never tried it but I would assume it to be possible, how would one do it? not sure I assume it'll be a bit more than just plugging in a USB with the windows OS on it though, also I doubt it'd be very useful since it's not exactly set up for that kind of use, could be interesting though

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!

Nope.

Different hardware, consoles lock down even if you change a fan after it detects a voltage change.

System: Thinkpad T460

Id say no, Since how a console work is pretty different than how a PC work.

Thats why it is hard to make emulators that doesnt require Much more performance than the game it is running

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Nope.

1. No drivers

2. Probably receive a console ban

3. Even though they're x86 doesn't mean you can plug a USB drive in and slap Windows 8.1 on there.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

It uses completely different architectures to what windows or Linux supports I'd presume

Of course not! At least until now and in a far future.

Develop a Bios hack that stops consoles from locking down, and find a way to make Windows support Parallel processing and maybe?

There's more though.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

You probably could but it wouldn't be a simple task. There's a whole community of people out there that like to do try things like this. I remember reading somewhere some iOS hacker got Windows running natively on an iPad. I tried to find the article to post it here, but I couldn't. It was a long time ago. It was probably a first gen one. Anyway, I just remember the iPad had to be connected to a computer and it was super unstable. Anyway... I'm sure its possible, but its one of those things you would need an insane amount of skill to do. If I had to take a shot in the dark, I would say it would probably be easiest to get some custom form of Gentoo or a something similar running. From there you could install Steam for Linux or use WINE to try to run steam games. I know that Left 4 Dead for Windows can run flawlessly on Linux under WINE.

Another approach you could take would be to try to dual boot it. Create some sort of custom update that tells it to unlock its bootloader or something. You would have to trick the Xbox into thinking the update was from Microsoft. I know that there is a program called Tinyumbrella that does this same thing but for iPhone and its used to trick the phone into thinking that an older OS is a new update from Apple so the iPhone installs it thus giving you a different version of iOS, which is normally impossible. I know people have created Pre Jailbroken version of iOS with Cydia and a terminal and what not pre installed on them to be installed with Tiny Umbrella.

These are just some thoughts. Neither approach is likely to work. I think this sounds like a really fun project though. A good first step would be to connect the Xbox hard drive to a computer and start reverse engineering what you can. If I had a spare Xbox just laying around I would totally try something like this. If you do this, PM me your progress. I would love to hear about it.

Edit: I found this on Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free60  If people did this on 360, you could probably find other deveoplers already trying this same thing on Xbox One. I'm going to keep reading. I'll post anything else I find.

Second Edit: I found this: http://www.libxenon.org/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=426 and this http://www.libxenon.org/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=427 It looks like the Homebrewers have indeed already started playing with Xbox One. Interesting stuff. If you are serious about this project, reach out to these guys on that forum and tell them you want to help. If you have a background in development of Linux/BSD I'm sure they would love the help, but obviously I can't speak for them.

Maybe. It might work if you take out the hard drive and wipe it and install windows 8.1 or linux from a different computer.
After all it is just a windows 8.1 box with a custom shell.

The only thing i can think of that will stop you is if Microsoft locked down the UEFI/BIOS like they did on the RT tablets. If that's the case it ain't going to work.

Brony for LIFE!!!

/)^3^(\ RD FTW
Daily carry: HTC one M8, pebbe steel PBD, nexus 7 2013

It uses completely different architectures to what windows or Linux supports I'd presume

Nope the XBONE uses x64 the 360 used PPC and there are tone of linux's that will run on PPC. (Power-PC)

Brony for LIFE!!!

/)^3^(\ RD FTW
Daily carry: HTC one M8, pebbe steel PBD, nexus 7 2013