Insane Compact NAS 2014 - 48TB Network-attached Storage

Exactly the type of thing I was looking for. I am currently running my homeserver off of a normal (old) computer - which is horrible when it comes to power-consumption..

The TDP on that board is insane..

The link for that is missing in the OP, btw:

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C2750D4I

DayZ Forum Moderator, DayZ Developer, ARMA 3: 2017 Developer, System-Admin, Gameserver-Admin, always interested to learn something new as well as new people.

@LinusTech if you end up putting this into production (it sounds like you are), then definitely submit it to the 10TB+ storage thread.

Wait, I thought we couldn't put up company/business storage up? If we can, can't wait to blow the doors off the biggest one yet, buaahahahaha :P

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

My home server is only 3TB :( I want to upgrade it to at least 10ish in the future so I can join the 10TB club :D

Whats this 10TB+ Club people are talking about.  I am a home user running FreeNAS.  I currently run 10 x 3TB WD Red's in a Raidz2.+ a 2TB Seagate HD as a scratch/work drive.  The Raidz2 gave me 21TB of usable space of which my media collection takes up 8TB and growing.

Here's rest of system spec -

Motherboard - SuperMicro X9SCM-F

CPU - Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2

Ram - 32GB Kingston EEC

Software - FreeNAS 9.2.1.8

Case - Fractal Design Define R4

PSU - Corsair AX760i

Whats this 10TB+ Club people are talking about.  I am a home user running FreeNAS.  I currently run 10 x 3TB WD Red's in a Raidz2.+ a 2TB Seagate HD as a scratch/work drive.  The Raidz2 gave me 21TB of usable space of which my media collection takes up 8TB and growing.

Here's rest of system spec -

Motherboard - SuperMicro X9SCM-F

CPU - Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2

Ram - 32GB Kingston EEC

Software - FreeNAS 9.2.1.8

Case - Fractal Design Define R4

PSU - Corsair AX760i

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/21948-ltt-10tb-storage-show-off-topic/page-48

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

That moto 360 he quickly glanced at on his wrist.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

...and here I am with maybe 5.75 TB of total storage...

Alright Linus, you've piqued my interest...but now I want to see the networking equipment you're using to move all this traffic between workstations. Things like packet prioritization between NAS and cat videos, how are you going to handle this? 

A program breaks, you get one angry user. The network breaks, you get 200 angry users and an angry management.

Linus has a Moto 360 now?

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

Love this and something I was thinking of doing my self to upgrade from my aging Asus Aspire WHS.

This was the case I though of till a new contender came about:

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-q26/

11 Drive storage (10 3.5 and 1 SSD), 2 drive back-plane included with ability to add more, awesome cooling for the drives and supports a full ATX PSU.

You loose out on being able to easily swap the drives and it is a bit bigger than this, but you also get the ability to use which ever PSU you want.

Ultimately I think both are good choices but I am gravitating to the Lian Li.

Now if I could only find that mobo but with the ability to use my own CPU.

It will not hold my back log of games for life .....

:P

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Hi Linus,

Nice video, I am currently finishing my build which is similar, using the C2750D4I in a node304 with 6 wd red 3tb drives and 2 128Gb Force GS for cache along with a second hand intel x520 10Gbe Nic. just missing the hdds to finish it

Personally I do not agree with your parts from a price and useabilty stand point. The WHOLE idea with freenas and running ZFS with no raid controller, is that you are most likely using somewhat cheap/consumer grade drives that are expected to fail, with a software raid like zfs it allows the system rather that hardware to handle the monitoring. So in my mine 99% of people would never use enterprise drives in a system such as this.

My second arguement is the same that another forum member commented on earlier, I would have had the OS on a USB rather an on a dedicated drive allowing for better use of resouces. I personally have mine setup this way on a Corsair 16Gb Mini USB 3.0 drive. Another reason for this is the lack of required I/O when the system is in operation as basically at this point everything is open in ram. I also run my 2 exsi servers in the setup. This is not unheard of in the industry, I know of a couple of data centers in Australia that offer Virtual Servers have their ESXi OS running from a flash drive rather than on there data arrays.

Last item, how are your drives layed out on the motherboard, as the C2750D4I has only 8 SATA3 ports, what 4 drives draw the short straw and have to run over the SATA2 connections?

Thanks, a long time viewer from aus

They don't have any real business grade HDDs in their statistics ...

(Barracuda is their consumer brand ;) )

also ...

Oh I just linked the old statistics they have. They have a new post here: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-update-september-2014/

I actually thought I linked that.. well nevermind. Well just read the part about "Should we switch to enterprise drives?"

And that's the point I wanted to make:

Today on Amazon, a Seagate 3 TB “enterprise” drive costs $235 versus a Seagate 3 TB “desktop” drive costs $102. Most of the drives we get have a 3-year warranty, making failures a non-issue from a cost perspective for that period. However, even if there were no warranty, a 15% annual failure rate on the consumer “desktop” drive and a 0% failure rate on the “enterprise” drive, the breakeven would be 10 years, which is longer than we expect to even run the drives for.

And

The assumption that “enterprise” drives would work better than “consumer” drives has not been true in our tests. I analyzed both of these types of drives in our system and found that their failure rates in our environment were very similar — with the “consumer” drives actually being slightly more reliable.

Which is exactly what my experience has been in the past 5 years with HDDs.

Oh I just linked the old statistics they have. They have a new post here: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-update-september-2014/

I actually thought I linked that.. well nevermind. Well just read the part about "Should we switch to enterprise drives?"

I have read it and they still didn't publish any statistics on enterprise drives, other than, according to their testing ( which comes down to an asston of consumer drives and compared to that very few enterprise drives)

Also there are other reasons to choose enterprise drives over consumer drives, like the firmware (e.g. error correction).

Also Backblaze most likely has a completely different use case, then any home user or even Linus and his team.

A WD drvie might fail 5x as often for an home user, than for a datacenter.

Be careful which such data.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Love this and something I was thinking of doing my self to upgrade from my aging Asus Aspire WHS.

This was the case I though of till a new contender came about:

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-q26/

11 Drive storage (10 3.5 and 1 SSD), 2 drive back-plane included with ability to add more, awesome cooling for the drives and supports a full ATX PSU.

You loose out on being able to easily swap the drives and it is a bit bigger than this, but you also get the ability to use which ever PSU you want.

Ultimately I think both are good choices but I am gravitating to the Lian Li.

Now if I could only find that mobo but with the ability to use my own CPU.

Need a mobo, check out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157486

It's got an LSI SAS controllers on the motherboard, meaning you could add in an 10Gb-Ethernet card if you wanted to. The only downside is that it is extended ITX, so its going to be a really tight fit in that Lian Li case.

If thats a little pricey, then just look at this list of motherboards Newegg sells: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007629%20600009028&IsNodeId=1&name=Mini%20ITX

Only 20 motherboards in m-ITX.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Linus has a Moto 360 now?

Yup, he got sent it and a Moto phone for review. :)

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Should of installed FreeNas on a USB stick, that 80G drive it was put on is useless for anything else now.

BTW the build is awesome and I'd like to hear more info on your network that is 10Gb.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

I got 10.5TB in mine but it's not enough.  I need to build a new one as my current one I built in 2009.

Linus,

I realy liked your build and since i was looking to build a NAS anyway I copied your build minus the crazy ammount of RAM and HDD's.

This certainly gives me room to expand if I ever need to.

I have to say the Motherboard you recommented turned out to be a real pain partly my fault probably but still something I would not like the go trough again.

First off it doesn't support registered ECC RAM (learned that the hard way) so if somebody is ever considering to copy the setup like I did watch out for that.

Fair enough my fault for assuming all types of ECC ram are supported.

I bought some ram off the approve list 2 sticks of 8gb Crucial CT102472BD160B and guess what? This piece of junk wouldn't even POST.

Reduced it to it's bare bones a powers supply and a stick of RAM still nothing after futher testing and swapping of ram sticks and power supplies I concluded that the only thing it could be is the motherboard.

I'm in the process of RMA-ing it right now.

Hopefully the replacement I get will actually work.

• 2 weeks later...

Where do i get me some of that ram? Can't seem to find it for sale.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5