Best most silent PSU?

megaemil

Hey LTT

I'm looking to get rid of my Corsair CX750M after my first one died and killed my GPU.

I recently went from ITX to ATX.

So my requirements are as following.

The PSU MUST power an Overclocked Haswell system with a 4670K@4.4ghz and in the future an extra GTX 980 Strix.

Also i got a couple of drives, lightning and so on.

I traded my chassis and mobo (node 804 and maximus vi impact) for Maximus vi Formula and Define R4, so we need the PSU to fit (not a problem) and to be as silent as possible.

Silence is the number 1 priority as well as reliability.

I've looked at the Seasonic X-series and the Corsair AX860i 

What do you think? Any suggestions

Corsair HX850i, Silent, Good, Corsair Link, Somewhat cheap.

It is damn silent, The AX860i is loud as hell.

any 500 watt will do but if you never want to have the fan spinning get a 750 watt pus that is semi-passive or a fully passive psu

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

EVGA G2 750W with Eco Mode on

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Silverstone NightJar 520 Watt 

Sea Sonic Platinum fanless 520 Watt

both fanless

oh you mean two 980s?

Jup 2 cards when the next gen comes out (know it'll be awhile) i'll buy one used.

So up until now its 2 for the EVGA 750 G2 and 1 for the HX850.

I'll take a look at both and just look through reviews

And it is the EVGA model called EVGA Supernova G2 750?

Jup 2 cards when the next gen comes out (know it'll be awhile) i'll buy one used.

The fan on the G2 at its lowest speed is even loud though. I wouldn't go for the HX850 but the HX850i instead. I'd vote for the HX850i mainly because it's uses a fluid dynamic bearing which is much quieter at slow speeds than any other bearing like double ball bearings & the fan profile is very relaxed. Afaik the lowest rpm is around 200 rpm where as most others have it on 800 rpm.

I looked al little around at SilentPCReview and some people recommended the Seasonic X-1050, the wattage is overkill for my system, but it will never be stressed out, meaning the fan would be silent up to about 600W effective. My system as it is now will never peak 600W, might reach it with 2 980. What do you think

Bequiet Dark power Pro 10 would be my recommendation for total silence. But the EVGA G2 will do just fine with its semi passive mode.

who cares...

EVGA G2 750W with Eco Mode on

This if youre on a budget. Its a somewhat great PSU imo

yes it is

Bequiet Dark power Pro 10 would be my recommendation for total silence. But the EVGA G2 will do just fine with its semi passive mode.

Id recommend that too if you want to make shure youll NEVER EVER hear ANYTHING from your PSU

well if you take the dark rock pro 3 and the shadow wings and run your system without GPU and HDDs.....

i think you got the point here

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

"Somewhat great PSU"?

You sir must take your leave now. I will not let someone insult one of the greatest PSU's ever made.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

yes it is

Id recommend that too if you want to make shure youll NEVER EVER hear ANYTHING from your PSU

well if you take the dark rock pro 3 and the shadow wings and run your system without GPU and HDDs.....

i think you got the point here

Semi passive Strix or prolimatech mk 26 /w silent wings. :D

I'm almost at complete silence with my pc but the hdd has to go. :P

who cares...

"Somewhat great PSU"?

You sir must take your leave now. I will not let someone insult one of the greatest PSU's ever made.

I may have understated it a little bit.  ;)

I by myself am a proud owner of one of these great PSUs and i would highly reccomend it to anybody in any case. Being precise im doing that on every "Which PSU?"-tread im answering to  :D

Semi passive Strix or prolimatech mk 26 /w silent wings. :D

I'm almost at complete silence with my pc but the hdd has to go. :P

i know we talked about that in the german talk if you remember  :P

but getting 2x 2 500gb ssds in raid0 is kind of a pricy thing  :D  (joking) ill do that sometime next year, because i can

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

I may have understated it a little bit. ;)

I by myself am a proud owner of one of these great PSUs and i would highly reccomend it to anybody in any case. Being precise im doing that on every "Which PSU?"-tread im answering to :D

i know we talked about that in the german talk if you remember :P

but getting 2x 2 500gb ssds in raid0 is kind of a pricy thing :D (joking) ill do that sometime next year, because i can

Yeah i know. :D the 1 TB ssd is waiting for me but my student income of 0.00€/month makes this rather difficult.And there's more important stuff to upgrade first. :P

who cares...

My GFX is semi passive and the HDD is wrapped in so much anti-noise/vibrationreduction shit i can put around it without having it perform a meltdown. 

So the only thing is the bloody PSU, and im willing to go overkill and use a bit more money than every other normal fella, that's building a High performance PC.

In DK where i live the CX750M costs around 150$ which in DK is a fairly cheap 750W PSU, the EVGA is priced around the same price.

In DKK im willing to go as high as 1500dkk +-200dkk thats 250USD +-30USD or 200€ +- 25€. 

The Seasonic X-1050 can be bought in DK for around the 1500dkk mark. 

Links to Caseking.de or Overclockers.co.uk will be appreciated :)

The AX860i is loud as hell.

Seriously? I thought they were the higher tier ones.

Seriously? I thought they were the higher tier ones.

They are but the AX860i has a lot of fan profile problems which I think the other AX series ones don't and is what Corsair fixed in the HX850i

They are but the AX860i has a lot of fan profile problems which I think the other AX series ones don't and is what Corsair fixed in the HX850i

I see, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Know its old ass thread but, I went with the HX850i and swapped my H80i for a Noctua NH-D14, the system is completely silent, the loudest part is my HDD

EVGA 750W G2

I'm seeing that you are using that PSU... Is that good and silent?

"Sky above me. Earth below me. Fire within me!"

Emmanuel Zamorano