Anybody own a Galaxy Alpha (and Questions)?

So I like the size of the thing. The Xperia Z3 Compact isn't available from any carriers in the US that I know of and even so, I don't really think my parents would be too up for switching carriers. So I guess this is my next go-to.

So my questions:

1. Obviously, is it a good phone after the while it's been out?

2. Can I put Cyanogenmod or completely stock Android on it? I don't like TouchWiz and all the stuff Samsung puts on their devices.

3. How well does it take drops (I'm a bit clumsy)?

Thanks.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Well I'm glad it doesn't take drops like the Twin Towers now.

Too soon?

your fineish

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Well I'm glad it doesn't take drops like the Twin Towers now.

Too soon?

Thats pretty borderline. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

So I like the size of the thing. The Xperia Z3 Compact isn't available from any carriers in the US that I know of and even so, I don't really think my parents would be too up for switching carriers. So I guess this is my next go-to.

So my questions:

1. Obviously, is it a good phone after the while it's been out?

2. Can I put Cyanogenmod or completely stock Android on it? I don't like TouchWiz and all the stuff Samsung puts on their devices.

3. How well does it take drops (I'm a bit clumsy)?

Z3 Compact is available direct unlocked from Sony. I had the Alpha for a week or so and I didn't like it. Feels awkward in the hand after a while with those thick corners.

1. It's still a really good phone. Runs very well since it's an S801 with only a 720p screen. 

2. Official CM isn't available for Alpha yet, but it's "coming soon"

3. It only takes drops well on the corners, since they're the thickest metal parts of the phone. Flat on it's face it'll do just as bad as any other GG3 phone 

"Rawr XD"

Z3 Compact is available direct unlocked from Sony. I had the Alpha for a week or so and I didn't like it. Feels awkward in the hand after a while with those thick corners.

1. It's still a really good phone. Runs very well since it's an S801 with only a 720p screen. 

2. Official CM isn't available for Alpha yet, but it's "coming soon"

3. It only takes drops well on the corners, since they're the thickest metal parts of the phone. Flat on it's face it'll do just as bad as any other GG3 phone 

Buying a Z3 Compact unlocked is out of the immediate budget so.....

I really only do mostly web browsing and photo taking while wielding a small pair of hands. 

Also, does adding a case to it for drop-break-proof-ness make it feel awkward in the hands? I know you probably have a different hand size than I do but just out of curiosity ya know. From end of middle finger to bottom top of wrist, I measure about 7.25 inches or so. Small for a guy.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Buying a Z3 Compact unlocked is out of the immediate budget so.....

I really only do mostly web browsing and photo taking while wielding a small pair of hands. 

Also, does adding a case to it for drop-break-proof-ness make it feel awkward in the hands? I know you probably have a different hand size than I do but just out of curiosity ya know. From end of middle finger to bottom top of wrist, I measure about 7.25 inches or so. Small for a guy.

You do get used to it. I have really small hands too, From end of middle finger to bottom top of wrist for me is only 7 inches, but I've completely gotten used to holding and using my Note 3.

Anyways, what carrier are you buying from?

"Rawr XD"

You do get used to it. I have really small hands too, From end of middle finger to bottom top of wrist for me is only 7 inches, but I've completely gotten used to holding and using my Note 3.

Anyways, what carrier are you buying from?

AT&T although we were considering switching to Verizon because we often don't get or receive calls within days of eachother. For example, if I were to call you right now, you might not hear a ring and the voicemail would show up in your mailbox about 4 days later. All of our phones do this so we're pretty sure it's AT&T doing this. We would switch immediately but our contract is up in August and we can do a whole switch then without all the weird switching fees and problems that go along with switching carriers.

Galaxy Alpha is absurdly gimped for a "flagship phone". It competes with things like the Moto X in terms of specifications (except for the processor) and it costs much more. I see no real reason to purchase it. 
Just get a Note 4 if you just HAVE to buy a Samsung phone.

Galaxy Alpha is absurdly gimped for a "flagship phone". It competes with things like the Moto X in terms of specifications (except for the processor) and it costs much more. I see no real reason to purchase it. 

Just get a Note 4 if you just HAVE to buy a Samsung phone.

I HAVE to buy a small phone. Smaller than an S5 or HTC One M8. Not necessarily from Samsung. I'd go for an Xperia Z3 Compact but they don't sell them anywhere....

I HAVE to buy a small phone. Smaller than an S5 or HTC One M8. Not necessarily from Samsung. I'd go for an Xperia Z3 Compact but they don't sell them anywhere....

The Z3 compact is sold directly from sony for $530 EDIT:Thinking about it I guess buying a phone off-contract may not be an option it is an expensive investment after all

https://store.sony.com/xperia-z3-compact-zid27-M/XZ3D5803/cat-27-catid-All-Unlocked-Phones?vva_ColorCode=BC008

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

I say that you should just say "fuck that notion" as any android phone that's actually decent is 5+ inches. 

Seriously...

I say that you should just say "fuck that notion" as any android phone that's actually decent is 5+ inches. 

Seriously...

I can't hold one cuz my hands are too damn small.

Also, the Z3 Compact is a good > 5 inch phone

I can't hold one cuz my hands are too damn small.

Also, the Z3 Compact is a good > 5 inch phone

it's such a gimped phone still.

AT&T although we were considering switching to Verizon because we often don't get or receive calls within days of eachother. For example, if I were to call you right now, you might not hear a ring and the voicemail would show up in your mailbox about 4 days later. All of our phones do this so we're pretty sure it's AT&T doing this. We would switch immediately but our contract is up in August and we can do a whole switch then without all the weird switching fees and problems that go along with switching carriers.

If you do get Verizon. You can have the Z3v.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

The Xperia? What exactly do you mean by "gimped?"

mainly just the 720p screen. I forgot that the Z3 actually had a decent SOC onboard. Pretty decent camera as well. It actually seems like a damn nice phone for being small, it's just that you have to live with 720p.

mainly just the 720p screen. I forgot that the Z3 actually had a decent SOC onboard. Pretty decent camera as well. It actually seems like a damn nice phone for being small, it's just that you have to live with 720p.

720p on a phone that small. Srsly.

320ppi

The compact has the exact same specs as the Z3 besides that. 

720p on a phone that small. Srsly.

320ppi

The compact has the exact same specs as the Z3 besides that. 

320ppi isn't really enough. I still notice pixels on my OnePlus One at 401 ppi.

320ppi isn't really enough. I still notice pixels on my OnePlus One at 401 ppi.

The Z1 has a 441ppi and I cannot see pixels. 

different phone though...

ppi does not change its definition...

We were talking about ppi. Who cares about the phone model .

ppi does not change its definition...

We were talking about ppi. Who cares about the phone model .

so you talk about how 320ppi isn't bad, and then later say you can't see the pixels with 441ppi

ok bud

so you talk about how 320ppi isn't bad, and then later say you can't see the pixels with 441ppi

ok bud

I said that 441ppi is insane and I cannot see the pixels, so 320ppi is not bad. 

But you said "Different phone" which would not make a difference, because we were comparing ppi, not phones.