Priority Guide for PC upgrades

torment lm

Hello Everyone.

Ones more I'll come with a little guide/review.

So ever since people started playing games on PC's and having desktops in general theres been a huge pille of topics usually named "What to upgrade?" "what should I upgrade"

and that is the reason that I today will be giving my opinion on what to upgrade and what to consider when upgrading a PC.

First of all some basic information about me.

I'm a fiber technician at a huge company in DK, I'm 20 years old and lives and breaths in Denmark.

I've been in the computer "world" and a part of desktop maniacs for over 5 years (not long hah? well your the one to judge that yourself)

photo.jpg

Overall explanation of components in your PC.

I will now explain what's inside your computer and what it's function is and how it affects your computer and it's performance, however I'll be using some plain words nothing too fancy.

Summary of the components

• CPU (Central Processing Unit)
  • GPU (Graphics Card)
  • RAM (Random Access Memory)
  • HDD (Harddisk Drive)
  • SSD (Solid State Drive)
  • PSU (Power Supply)
  • Chassis (case / housing)
  • MB (Motherboard)
  • CPU cooling (CPU cooler)
  • Fans (air blowing things in your case :o )

That should be it.

So the 2 "fairly" most important and most debated parts is these 2.

CPU and GPU

And there's also a reason for that, It's the 2 main compartments that have the biggest influrence of your computers performance.
To give you an idea of what they are you can kind of tell it like this.

The CPU is the task manager, the one handles everything and gives and gets the commands from you and deliver them.

The GPU is the hard worker in the office, the one that handles all the hard visuals and the one whom that puts the picture on the screen.

(Hope it was understandable for some of you.)

More basically seen.

CPU = PC's power horse
GPU = The picture power horse

computer_love_granddad.jpg

The rest of them.

The power supply is fairly self-explanatory, it's the unit that provides the power for everything.

RAM is the unit that handles all the "random tasks" such as your browser and just programs that are open on your desktop

HDD and SSD's are the units that contains and holds all your programs and applications, there's a few differences between SSD's and HDD's that being said the most noticeable ones is speed and shock resistence.

Chassis the chassis is the unit holding all the components also the unit that decides the cooling factor, it decides how many fans and how many components you can fit in your system.

Motherboard is a easily overlooked component but the motherboard is like the core of everything, it's the unit that connects all the other units to each other.

Fans is also pretty much self-explanatory since it's the fans or cooling components in your pc.

CPU coolers is the same, even though this specific term is used for the cooling unit that cooles your CPU.

That was a lot of information and a lot to read, but we have to get going.

So to the part you've been waiting for.

What to choose when you upgrade and why.

(To be continued xD) soon enough though don't worry.

RAM is the unit that handles all the "random tasks" such as your browser and just programs that are open on your desktop

That's not really true... It stores the data that CPU is working on.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

That's not really true... It stores the data that CPU is working on.

Might have expressed myself wrong, yes ram is the quick storage for the CPU. 

But it's true that your ram handles the browser and things alike.

You write this like you are trying to explain something to a blonde girl in America, kudos. You should also mention that this guide is strictly for desktops as laptops can not be upgraded as easily.

Might have expressed myself wrong, yes ram is the quick storage for the CPU. 

But it's true that your ram handles the browser and things alike.

Define "Handles".

It's not like RAM runs your browser, it only stores all your open tabs (and ofc the code of the browser)

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

Hi, i want to know if i could put a GTX 980 in my Ipad? 

Would there be bottle necks?

I can always put the ITX version right?

*nudge*

:angry: :unsure:

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

*nudge*

m9, no bottlenecks. ipads have dual xeons.

m9, no bottlenecks. ipads have dual xeons.

the Android scrublords will get retcked by my 9m80

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

*nudge*

post-104353-0-75130900-1416146253.gif

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

• 2 weeks later...

My problem is this: I have a hp pc, but I want to upgrade my Radeon 8470 to something more respective. (Like GTX 750?) 

This little shitbox has Intel Core i3-3240, 8 Gigs of DDR3 ram, and 300W power supply. Only problem is motherboard, and drivers with motherboard. 

So can someone help with this?

Keisari

My problem is this: I have a hp pc, but I want to upgrade my Radeon 8470 to something more respective. (Like GTX 750?) 

This little shitbox has Intel Core i3-3240, 8 Gigs of DDR3 ram, and 300W power supply. Only problem is motherboard, and drivers with motherboard. 

Keisari

Buy a new PSU too, the GPU will break your system

Keisari

Hmm... I would say definitely get a new GPU first, but make sure your PSU can handle it. I assume that it should be able to handle just a 750 or even a 750 Ti, because I don't think it needs external power (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Then get a new PSU 400-500 watts should be fine, and then get an i5-3570k. Do you know what chipset your motherboard has? Then after that... I guess just get a new motherboard far down the line?

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

CPU and GPU

And there's also a reason for that, they are the two main components that have the biggest influence on your computers performance.

To give you an idea of what they are you can kind of tell it like this.

The CPU is the boss, it handles everything. It's the primary piece of hardware responsible for instructing the rest of the machine.

The GPU is the hard worker in the office, it handles all of the hard visuals and compute workloads while driving the display.

(Hope it was understandable for some of you.)

More basically seen.

CPU = The machines primary source of processing.

GPU = The machines primary source of visual and compute related tasks.

I would revise it with a little more like what I have done with the snippet above. Surely most people here aren't that illiterate to need it explained at an elementary level.

Hmm... I would say definitely get a new GPU first, but make sure your PSU can handle it. I assume that it should be able to handle just a 750 or even a 750 Ti, because I don't think it needs external power (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Then get a new PSU 400-500 watts should be fine, and then get an i5-3570k. Do you know what chipset your motherboard has? Then after that... I guess just get a new motherboard far down the line?

Cooler Master powers supply calculator says that Build with 1 HDD, 1 Optical drive, i3-3240 and GTX 750 will take 233 Wats. Motherboard is "H-Joshua-H61-uATX".'

I have no idea that can my motherboard deal with drivers. In theory, yes.