Sli 3 660ti or 2 680

Dat_Bullet

what's best im starting a new and I would like to discuss what is best

2xGTX 670s, they can overclock to GTX 680 levels.

The 660tis might be a bit better in raw performance, but think about wattage and what you will be playing. If you reach over 60FPS on your 60Hz monitor, then you're just wasting horsepower, hell, I think more than 1 GTX 670 is a waste unless you plan to max out Metro 2033, which is almost impossible!

The 660tis might be a bit better in raw performance, but think about wattage and what you will be playing. If you reach over 60FPS on your 60Hz monitor, then you're just wasting horsepower, hell, I think more than 1 GTX 670 is a waste unless you plan to max out Metro 2033, which is almost impossible!

yes u could Overclock GTX 670 to GTX 680 lvl but u can overclock GTX 680 into higher performence to

Alright, I would say that 660ti would be the better choice instead of the 680 because you can run into microstuttering with the 680, but if you have tri SLI you will run into less likely.

I don't have any benchmarks to go off of but I think 3x660tis and 2x680s are similar in performance.

i found some bencmarks on 3x660ti's they could run metro 2033 on ultra settings in a average of 84.2 fps! :D

Not all GPU intensive applications scale well in SLi and tri-SLi will always scale worse than SLi. If it is between 2 680's or 3 660ti's, 2 680's will be a far better choice since the performance is equal in many games and 2 cards will always be better than 3 cards for the same performance (less heat, more space, less power, etc.)

Here is a GTX660ti review with tri-sli results as well as GTX680 2way SLi results: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_660_ti_windforce_oc_review,24.html

And another GTX680 SLi review: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_680_sli_review,15.html

4670k @ 4.3GHz w/ Deepcool Lucifer | ASRock z97e-itx/ac | 2x4GB G Skill Ares | MSI TFiii HD 7870 @ 1150/1450| OCZ Vertex 4 128GB + 1TB | Bitfenix Prodigy Black | Antec TP-650C

Not all GPU intensive applications scale well in SLi and tri-SLi will always scale worse than SLi. If it is between 2 680's or 3 660ti's, 2 680's will be a far better choice since the performance is equal in many games and 2 cards will always be better than 3 cards for the same performance (less heat, more space, less power, etc.)

Here is a GTX660ti review with tri-sli results as well as GTX680 2way SLi results: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_660_ti_windforce_oc_review,24.html

And another GTX680 SLi review: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_680_sli_review,15.html

yes u are right it scale better from 1-2 then 2-3, but it is very different how good different games use 2 way sli and 3 way sli some games even run 2 way sli better than 3 way sli, but i want to make my build more future proof cause the newer games will be better to use 3 way sli which will give a higher frame rate :D

I would go the 680's.. If I'm not mistaken it would be more powerefficient and the performance in some games are better and other games a little worse than 3 660Ti's.

And to be honest imo, 3 way SLI is overkill and looks stupid.. 2 way SLI is probably also overkill for most people but it looks sexy.. :P

(Comming soon)

I disagree. sorry lol. To future-proof your rig, 3 way GTX660ti would not be a "great" option- sure it will perform well but only up to a certain point. While newer games will scale better in 2 way and 3 way and even 4 way SLi, it will never scale as well as a single card. The less cards you have the better off you will be.

2 way GTX680's will allow you to upgrade with an additional 680 if need be. 4 way 660ti's is not possible so you will not be able to upgrade that and even if you could it would not be as effective as 3 680's. As it is now the performance of 2 way 680's is not far off to 3 way 660ti's relatively speaking (in some cases 2 680's perform better). So IMO it is a no brainer (2 680's that is). Future games will not increase the performance gap between 2 way 680's and 3 way 660ti's by much at all. Like I said though, with 3 660ti's you cannot easily upgrade that, however, you can simply add a third 680 if you need to.

4670k @ 4.3GHz w/ Deepcool Lucifer | ASRock z97e-itx/ac | 2x4GB G Skill Ares | MSI TFiii HD 7870 @ 1150/1450| OCZ Vertex 4 128GB + 1TB | Bitfenix Prodigy Black | Antec TP-650C

Not to mention that you can overclock the 680's easier than you will be able to overclock the 660ti's since the 660ti's will likely be sandwiched together which isn't ideal in any situation, even without overclocking because the cards will not be able to 'breathe' properly.

Not to mention that you can overclock the 680's easier than you will be able to overclock the 660ti's since the 660ti's will likely be sandwiched together which isn't ideal in any situation, even without overclocking because the cards will not be able to 'breathe' properly.
i guess your right

on another note I would not buy 680 now if you are willing to use that kinda money on it. I would wait till the next gen and get two 780s in SLI.. will probably be a bit more expensive, but I think dont think it will be by that much, atleast relativly speaking.. (I mean we are talking about, potentially 500$ cards..!)

(Comming soon)

Have you considered getting a GTX 690? It's 2 680s on a card and it is upgradeable if you want to add another one.

Bro, Metro 2033 could max out jupiter. that thing's a beast xD.

on another note I would not buy 680 now if you are willing to use that kinda money on it. I would wait till the next gen and get two 780s in SLI.. will probably be a bit more expensive, but I think dont think it will be by that much, atleast relativly speaking.. (I mean we are talking about, potentially 500$ cards..!)
my budget is 4000USD

2x 680s without a doubt, I would say. Tri-SLI doesn't scale as well in terms of fps though you might experience less stutter, and 680s will just give far superior performance in terms of benchmarking.

The 680 2 way sli would have a slight edge at performance...but i really dont see how it can future proofa computer. Thr right way of future proofing your computer is to upgrade regularly. Get one 680 or a 7970 and get a new one once the next gen graphics are out....you would be better off that way!

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

The 680 2 way sli would have a slight edge at performance...but i really dont see how it can future proofa computer. Thr right way of future proofing your computer is to upgrade regularly. Get one 680 or a 7970 and get a new one once the next gen graphics are out....you would be better off that way!
you dont have to upgrade ery time there is a new gen of Graphics Cards come out :)

Can I ask wich resolution are you going to use ? cause I see many people take like 2 680 or something else for 1080p .

2 GTX 680. 3 way SLI doesnt Scale that good
I agree, the GTX 680's have greater headroom, and scale better.

It's already been said here by others, but the 2 x 680's will scale better than 3 x 660's.

Many of the comments have focused on your needs, which is not really what you have asked. You asked for a comparison of these two options - whether you need this high of a configuration or not is a separate issue. It is a relevant question, though, of course. Generally speaking, unless your running triple monitors at ultra resolutions, the 2 GTX 680's will have way more horsepower than any game can currently demand, and that is without doing any overclocking.

A direct answer to your question would be to go with dual GTX 680s; another question you should ask yourself is do you need dual 680s? Personally, a better option would be to get a single GTX 680 and - if you really need the extra performance, to buy another one in the future when they have dropped in price. Very few people really need dual GTX 680 performance and, as a result, it's always a good idea to take a smaller step. It's easier to get a second one than to sell the second when you realize you don't need it!

Can I ask wich resolution are you going to use ? cause I see many people take like 2 680 or something else for 1080p .
im going to use 2560x1600