Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Campaign Review (Spoilurz)

The Cool n00B

First off... Heh heh... duty.

04ce1ff1c956caac3d59299a2a87283c931b5974Haha_no.gif172c26e7dd6013065ad009205adff138bae0bbd8

Anyway, as most of society with a life knows, Kevin Spacey, along with several other great actors, were in this game. The animation was phenomenal, as was Kevin's acting (as usual). The sport was surprisingly good for a CoD game and even though it took me 6.5 hours to go through, spreading out the game play across multiple days makes it feel much longer. Time for spoilers. When your best friend dies and you loose your arm, a private army called "Atlas" takes you and gives you a prosthetic arm and a better Exo Suit. They make you think that you're killing a terrorist organization called the KVA. The only way to take them down is to kill their leader, Hades. When you slash Hades' throat, he dies but somehow come back to life and tells you that Irons (Kevin's character) isn't telling you something. As it turns out, Irons is on the inside and was taking over every country around the US, in hopes of taking over the world. After finding out, they knock you out and try to prison you, but you manage to escape thanks to an anonymous person. Once you escape, your Sergeant from the first mission tells you the truth and about the Sentinal Army, an army that knows about Jonathan Irons and is trying to destroy Atlas. The first thing that you do against Irons is try to steal a container filled with a gas called "Manticore". Manticore is a biological agent that infects anyone with certain gnomes (DNA). It's pretty much a virus that attacks anyone but his own men. I know, Geneva Convention pls? Anyways, fast forward, you're in the last mission. Irons has smashed in your prosthetic arm with a ratchet, rendering it useless, after capturing you. After he fucks up your arm, he shoots Cormack in the hip, and he dies in the next mission. You escape and hunt him down, no reloads, just picking up guns off the ground. You eventually get to him, and you throw him off a balcony. He manages to old on to your broken-ass arm which is still somehow attached to you, and you swing him around a bit, then jab your arm with your knife and he falls into some fire along with the arm and he dies.

Gameplay - 3/5 Could have been a better PC port

Voice Acting - 5/5 Phenomenal voice acting, especially by Mitchell

Story Line - 4/5 Great story with great plot twists, but left me with questions. AW 2?

3D Meshes and Player Models - 4/5 Kevin Spacey's model was awesome, tons of detail. Other models left some things to be desired.

Bugs and other glitchs - 3/5 Sometimes froze at the loading screen and some audio lines were skipped entirely.

Overall - 8/10 Outstanding for a CoD game but could have been longer and still been good

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Wut? That game has a singleplayer? I've been to busy stomping newbs the last few days, I doubt that I will ever play the singleplayer with that atrocious FOV though.

I am having the worst time with the servers but it is a fun game. 

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

I was sort of thinking about buying it if I see it for a good price, but I haven't completely decided yet.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I was sort of thinking about buying it if I see it for a good price, but I haven't completely decided yet.

You definitely should. It's a fun game.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

You definitely should. It's a fun game.

The whole jetpack thing is sort of weird, I was watching some streamers play and it looked decent, but I probably will forget I own the game and forget to play it lol.

I have an issue where I only tend to play one-two games at once, and forget about the rest lol.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I tried to play the campaign yesterday since multiplayer was not available, how can anyone put up with that FOV for an fps game? Seriously, it gave me a headache after 5 minutes and I legitimately felt motionsick. That might be due to the fact that I'm playing on a 27'' monitor right in front of my face, but I would still consider it a huge oversight from the developer. Far Cry 3 and many other games solved the issue with "broken" cutscenes quite well if you use a different FOV, I don't think that there is an excuse for this in 2014.....

I tried to play the campaign yesterday since multiplayer was not available, how can anyone put up with that FOV for an fps game? Seriously, it gave me a headache after 5 minutes and I legitimately felt motionsick. That might be due to the fact that I'm playing on a 27'' monitor right in front of my face, but I would still consider it a huge oversight from the developer. Far Cry 3 and many other games solved the issue with "broken" cutscenes quite well if you use a different FOV, I don't think that there is an excuse for this in 2014.....

Yep Yep, 27" @ 45-50cm away, 65fov is SOOO lacklustre and crap for a modern shooter to be 'stuck' at 65fov, esp when COD devs know not everyone who plays COD SP is on the couch!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

fast forward, you're in the last mission. Irons has smashed in your prosthetic arm with a ratchet, rendering it useless, after capturing you. You escape and hunt him down, no reloads, just picking up guns off the ground. You eventually get to him, and you throw him off a balcony. He manages to old on to your broken-ass arm which is still somehow attached to you, and you swing him around a bit, then jab your arm with your knife and he falls into some fire along with the arm and he dies.

A bit wrong. You have your arm smashed, escape the prison, Cormack dies and now you are at the final level where you and Gideon infiltrate one of his bases (in New Baghdad I believe) with AST mech suits, you then find him and kill him just as you said.

A bit wrong. You have your arm smashed, escape the prison, Cormack dies and now you are at the final level where you and Gideon infiltrate one of his bases (in New Baghdad I believe) with AST mech suits, you then find him and kill him just as you said.

No, he dies at the beginning of the next mission. I'll add that in, thx for the reminder.

The Cool n00B, on 10 Nov 2014 - 06:11 AM, said:

No, he dies at the beginning of the next mission. I'll add that in, thx for the reminder.

No lol. He get's shot by Irons at the beginning of the mission and finally bleeds out in the ending cinematic after the escape.

• 2 weeks later...

The CoD single player was always very good. While the Battelfield 4 single player was absolute crap. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

• 4 weeks later...

Just started playing the campaign yesterday, and  it's just another predictable story, but still fun. Can't play multiplayer, zero games available. I wish they'd go back to some past conflicts like in BO and BO2, the "advanced warfare" aspect is just disorienting and more complicated. I don't need eleven hundred types of grenades. Perks and attachments seem limited, not nearly as many options as in Ghosts and BO2. So far with my limited experience on private match, I have to say the couple of multiplayer maps I've played are complete garbage. No flow whatsoever. Overall I haven't gotten enough time with it yet, but the impression I'm getting is that they got most things right, but they reduced loadout options considerably and the couple maps I've played are crap. The actual system performance was better than expected, too. At 30 FPS I maxed out almost all the settings on a I7-3770 and PNY GTX 750 TI. A few tweaks and it can easily be ran at 60+ FPS. It used up all of my 2 GB VRAM and peaked at ~6 GB RAM usage. CPU usage was around 80% average when running a private match with maxed out AI's (8 friendly + 9 enemy = 17 AI's). As the first graphically intensive game I've got for PC, it definitely crushes consoles by a huge margin and can't wait to use it to try and convince my friends to give up on Xbox 360 now instead of when they stop releasing games (We agreed to switch to PC gaming instead of Xbox One). Consoles have no advantage when I can get this game for $45 on steam ($15 less), and run it at beautiful settings on a PC that costs as much as an xbox one and a couple (overpriced) games. Thank you for reading this terribly unorganized list of thoughts I've had.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.